Legalize It!

It does no good for the public for somebody to get a fine or jail time for brewing their own alcohol and selling it. It simply punishes private initiative. If they're hurting nobody but themselves then there's no reason to prosecute them.
Ahh.... I see you've never been poisoned by bad home brew. Or been slipped any wood alkie, that some less then honest liquor bootleggers make and mix in with corn liquor...

Today we have drug dealers cutting smack and coke with ecstasy, or who knows what else.

This is the public safety part of regulation. To ensure quality and relative safety.[/quote]

If you choose to by white lightning from a random redneck instead of going to the store, you accept that risk. Personal responsibility, not a government nanny

keep heroin illegal. allow pharmacies to sell small quantities of coke. like, an 8 ball a month.

why not just grow your own cocoa

Cocoa is not a plant that you'll grow in your back yard. Letalone process it to powder. Southern American countries literally sell tea made from cocoa, though. I have some from a trip down south. It's not really the same thing unprocessed.
You idiots mean coca, right?

Chocolate's perfectly legal... Else Eve woulda killed someone already

Wrong. You don't ever hear about bootlegging arrests because they're not "sexy." It's boring, blase ATF stuff. But it happens daily. And it's stiff FEDERAL FELONY charges, not misdemeanor pay your ticket crap like we have now for weed possession.

You really think there won't be a black market? Folks will be growing their own weed because it will be legal to do so. But just like booze, they will start selling it, without the tax stamp, and that's where the hammer will be coming down.

Right now, I can brew my own beer at home. It's legal to do so. What do you think would happen to me if I got caught selling my home brew to friends, neighbors, anyone who wanted it?

Use your noggin.

Well, this is the way I see it. Why would I buy beer from a bootlegger when I can just walk to the corner store? I feel that the same would apply for weed.
To avoid the massive, punative taxation and buy the shit for about half or more what you would pay in the store.

We have a massive black market on cigarettes too, always have, and they bust folks for that too.

indian reservations sell cigaretts tax free, so they could do the same wiht weed

I have to disagree. There is a full spectrum of how drugs impact an individual and i'm not really ready to have a bunch of meth heads running around out in the open. There IS a hierarchy of substances. The problem has been the illogical nature of our present standard. Meth should not be legal.

i must concur....there is a difference in the drugs....

FDR outlaw hemp in 1937 and it pushed the country further into depression.

Cars can run on hemp oil instead of gas.

We can make paper and clothing from hemp.

Hemp is very nutritious

Hemp is ridiculously easy to grow.

It would save trees and absorb more of that deadly, but sensitive CO2 I keep hearing about

I have to disagree. There is a full spectrum of how drugs impact an individual and i'm not really ready to have a bunch of meth heads running around out in the open. There IS a hierarchy of substances. The problem has been the illogical nature of our present standard. Meth should not be legal.
Opinion that doesn't follow history.

All alcohol prohibition did effectively was make wine and beer next to impossible to find, as there was no real money in smuggling or making it in surreptitious domestic operations. Likewise, check out your local liquor store...In most places the vast majority of merchandising space is devoted to beer and wine sales, which mirrors what happens at the cash register.

Clearly, decrim/legalization favors the weaker substance over the more potent. Therefore, backwoods meth production would be no more of a problem than is moonshine liquor today.

I can't imagine anything stupider and more of a waste of time, effort and money then our "War on Drugs" which somehow includes a product that was the staple of every major civilization on the planet: hemp!

Hemp is not even a Drug! Do you have any idea how stupid we are for treating Hemp as a drug? It's like confusing cocoa beans for coca leaves or Coca Cola for Cocaine!

I am also completely in favor of legalizing and taxing marijuana.

It's 2009, Prohibition was a failure and the War on Drugs is an even bigger loser.

If we legalize marijuana and other similar drugs, the Crime rate will plummet and tax revenues will soar. Let's just grow the fuck up already

Treat it the same way we treat alchohol (including the driving under the influence aspect).
I read, years ago, that hemp was the perfect product to manufacture paper, strong long lasting clothing, ethonol fuels, etc.
That's the problem with it. It lasts. The constitution is written on hemp paper.
Your masters owners, the corporaterrorists, want no part of it. They produce useless bullshit that you have to buy over and over and over.
same with MJ. Anyone can grow their own with ease. Distilling liquor and processing tobacco is work.

Opinion that doesn't follow history.

All alcohol prohibition did effectively was make wine and beer next to impossible to find, as there was no real money in smuggling or making it in surreptitious domestic operations. Likewise, check out your local liquor store...In most places the vast majority of merchandising space is devoted to beer and wine sales, which mirrors what happens at the cash register.

Clearly, decrim/legalization favors the weaker substance over the more potent. Therefore, backwoods meth production would be no more of a problem than is moonshine liquor today.
The same line of logic for legalizing weed can be applied to all the other drugs.

The hard drugs--cocaine, meth, heroin--turn greater profit, and that brings greater competition into those markets. In the criminal underground that's resulted because of this "war", competition means more guns than the other guy.

I think the greatest reduction in violent crimes as it relates to drugs would be the legalization of those hard drugs. Weed is more localized than those drugs, and usually doesn't require an international, well-organized, cartel hierarchy like cocaine and heroin do.

Forum List

Back