Legalize it!

CharlestonChad

Baller Deluxe
Jul 2, 2006
Charleston, SC
I'm completely pro-legalization of marijuana. The gov. could step in and sell pot making huge amounts of rev. in taxes, which can help pay off our debt. We'll also save millions by not having to fight the drug dealers and lock up men and women who sell the drug. Pot is medically useful and much less dangerous than alcohol.

Why haven't we legalized this drug yet?

I'm completely pro-legalization of marijuana. The gov. could step in and sell pot making huge amounts of rev. in taxes, which can help pay off our debt. We'll also save millions by not having to fight the drug dealers and lock up men and women who sell the drug. Pot is medically useful and much less dangerous than alcohol.

Why haven't we legalized this drug yet?

We already have some legal drugs that people can't deal with responsibly. Don't you think that's enough?

Alcohol prohibition didn't work, and anyone can clearly see that the way we are fighting the (so-called) War on Drugs isn't working, either. We need to either change the way we fight the War on Drugs or concentrate on the really destructive ones while decriminalizing the recreational ones.

We already have some legal drugs that people can't deal with responsibly. Don't you think that's enough?

If you're talking about tobacco and alcohol, I don't agree with you. We have cake too but there are still people who eat until their asses can't fit through a standard doorway. Plus, unlike alcohol, it's impossible to poison yourself to death with pot, which means it's safer than stuff we already have legalized. Not to mention, I've never heard of a documented case of cancer caused by smoking marijuana. The only evil I see is the imprisonment of thousands just because the government says it's an illegal substance. The market for it is huge so tax revenue from its sale would be as big as or bigger than what the government gleans from tobacco sales. I say "why not?"

So it seems to be the majority opinion that pot should be legalized. I could almost jump on the wagon IF I could hear people speaking of the possible down sides to it. Y'all are making it sound like we're legalizing candy.

Not in order of posting, but to my mind, in order of making sense:

We've done this already, but ok.

Legalize it, it's really stupid not to.

Agreed.

HC said:
If you're talking about tobacco and alcohol, I don't agree with you. We have cake too but there are still people who eat until their asses can't fit through a standard doorway. Plus, unlike alcohol, it's impossible to poison yourself to death with pot, which means it's safer than stuff we already have legalized. Not to mention, I've never heard of a documented case of cancer caused by smoking marijuana. The only evil I see is the imprisonment of thousands just because the government says it's an illegal substance. The market for it is huge so tax revenue from its sale would be as big as or bigger than what the government gleans from tobacco sales. I say "why not?"

Prohibition just doesn't work. I haven't touched mj in over 30 years, no intention of doing so. With that said, in all likelihood, it is every bit of the carcenogenic that tobacco is, so what? As for poisoining oneself with it, all I can say is either you don't know anyone that does a lot of it, or you ignore it for some reason.

Collect the taxes, take it off the black market.

What down sides do you see dillo?

It's a weird message to send kids after years of encouraging them to do without, pot dulls a persons' brain as K pointed out, and I still think it serves to feed criminals enough to keep them away from engaging in other crimes. Anyone can get pot anytime they want and possession fines have dwindled to next to nothing . Big time dealers get caught in the same nets set to catch large shipments of pot and knowing the government like I do, any savings from the war on pot will be wasted somewhere else.

I can get pot whenever I want, but if I get caught smoking it or even having it I'm screwed. I'll have a very tough time getting into professional schools or getting a good job, b/c I would have a criminal record for doing something that is less destructive than drinking.

The only downside would be that it can slow down nervous reactions, but that's after many years of habitual use.

It's a weird message to send kids after years of encouraging them to do without, pot dulls a persons' brain as K pointed out, and I still think it serves to feed criminals enough to keep them away from engaging in other crimes. Anyone can get pot anytime they want and possession fines have dwindled to next to nothing . Big time dealers get caught in the same nets set to catch large shipments of pot and knowing the government like I do, any savings from the war on pot will be wasted somewhere else.

The reason to legalize. It would take out the 'dealers' altogether, slamming the door on making it a 'gateway' drug.

I can get pot whenever I want, but if I get caught smoking it or even having it I'm screwed. I'll have a very tough time getting into professional schools or getting a good job, b/c I would have a criminal record for doing something that is less destructive than drinking.

The only downside would be that it can slow down nervous reactions, but that's after many years of habitual use.

Oh well--maybe they'll legalize and you will be set free.

Legal doesn't mean kids can just buy it. I'll bet they can get it now MUCH easier than beer. Some legal barrier and control of sales, would take care of the now free flow and stop the billions wasted on this so called war.

Legal doesn't mean kids can just buy it. I'll bet they can get it now MUCH easier than beer. Some legal barrier and control of sales, would take care of the now free flow and stop the billions wasted on this so called war.

It's the message we have given them--not whether they can get it or not. They always will be able to get it. A mind on chemicals doesn't function that well in the long run.

A better question would be why have we criminalized this plant? Did God make a mistake? WTF?
In the early 20th century we made propaganda films that depicted black people as becoming savage white women rapers when they had the drug and soon it became teens becoming savage murdering rapists and then it got banned.

Forum List

Back