Legalization of marijuana a no winner

LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA A NO WINNER

Legalizing marijuana will create more crime, more drug addiction, and will not generate revenue expected. Unless it will be illegal to grow your own, people will have their won marijuana gardens and they will have to ride shot gun over it to prevent it from being stolen.
What ever government sell it for, drug cartels will sell it cheaper and still make a profit.
The cost involved in legalization will far out weigh any revenue generated, and will not stop drug related crimes.
Legalization of marijuana is a no winner so put it on your shelf and smoke it.
It will increase crime, increase drug addiction and increase of cost of legalization vs. illegal.
Can you even imagine a country full of drug induced Americans. Are they not already crazy enough on prescription drugs?
There are far more alcoholics now then in prohibition and more alcohol related illness and death. Same with cigarette smoking. Oils released in marijuana smoking is dangerous than cigarette smoking. Just because it may me less harmless than cigarettes does not mean it is harmless. I can only imagine the damage it does to a teens young lungs and heart.

Strictly medically speaking, MJ is more benign then alcohol. The biggest problem with legalizing it that I can see is that there is no good quantitative test for acute intoxication and since MJ stays in the system for 2-4 weeks, it would be impossible to tell who was driving under the influence of it.

The effect of legalizing and regulating it would be to knock out all the operating capital for the cartels.

I personally think it should be legalized. I don't agree with the concept of medicinal marijuana, as it has become a joke. It's a shame too. Chemo and HIV patients could use it.

It is time to legalize it because ultimately it will lead to fewer drug users as they die off. Drug users tend to die young. Rodney King was only 47. There will be a period of adjustment as more and more people can't take care of themselves and need to be supported, but that can be dealt with by strengthening self defense laws.

Did Rodney King die because of drugs though?

We'll have to wait for the toxicology report. No doubt drugs played a heavy part in his life of criminal conduct. He was known to be high when he beat up his girlfriends and the TG whores he picked up as well as numerous DUIs.

More than any other damage, marijuana use is making foreign interests suspicious of Americans. It is assumed that an American is going to be a drug user. Primarily a lazy unmotivated pot smoker primarly interested in getting some opportunity to sue the company and retire into full time drug use. It's a poison that touches us all even those who don't use. It makes foreign companies hesitant to trust our work force. Even American companies are hesitant to hire Americans!

It's distressing really. I can't say we aren't asking for it. Everytime someone says legalize pot, what others hear is I want to be rewarded for being a drug addict.

The tox report will be useless for MJ in consideration of his death. It will only tell you that he used MJ sometime in the proceeding week or month (based on how much he smoked).

Making marijuana legal will not stop the cartels or other drug dealers, they will just move on to create new drugs or stock up on crack cocaine, heroin, mushrooms etc etc

That's true! Making booze legal just created a market for pot.

The cartels won't stop until they are stamped out of existence.

In the 1800s when Britian was colonizing India there was a religious sect called the Thugees (where we get the word thug from). The practice of their religion involved murder, rape and theft. The British exterminated them. No trials, no civil rights claims. They were exterminated like vermin. Now there are no more Thugees.

That's what we need to do with the Cartels. A war of extermination.

Legalizing booze didn't make the Mafia go away either, they just branched out into other rackets. The Cartels will do the same, I can't believe there are people who think that if we legalize drugs the Cartels and drug dealers will all turn into law abiding citizens overnight.:cuckoo:

No, but legalizing alcohol led to the decline from the Mafia from their high point in 1950 to it's current shell. Of course crime is always going to be present, and if there is crime, there is going to be organized crime.

If you read much about the mob in the 50s, they were scrambling to find new sources of revenue, hence the rush to get into gambling in Cuba and eventually narcotics which basically killed the Cosa Nostra. I know it's still around, but it's a shell of what it used to be.

When his house was searched after he died, they found marijuana plants as well as whatever he needed to grow the stuff.
Interestingly, the only charge the police could legitimately have made against Rodney King was DUI and resisting arrest, which did not call for searching his home. So that search was illegal.

However, following what you say, if we legalize marijuana the cartels will just shift to crack so we won't gain anything at all.
Marijuana represents the most common and profitable product distributed by the cartels. Marijuana use exceeds the use of all other illegal drugs by more than 500 to 1. Next in line is cocaine.

So are you assuming that if marijuana becomes legal the market for cocaine and other drugs will somehow expand to fill the void? The more likely and plausible situation is the cartels will be reduced by attrition having killed each other off in competition for the remaining markets.

Miami is moving towards making bath salts illegal. The cartels will just peddle that.
"Bath salts" is a novelty drug. Legal marijuana would eliminate it overnight.

Thinking that legalizing marijuana will put the cartels out of business is a dream cooked up by potheads.
It wouldn't put all the cartels out of business, but those cartels which specialize in marijuana will either disappear or there will be such competitive warfare that the remaining cartels will be a fraction of those which are presently thriving. Marijuana is their most important product.

What will happen is that we will end up with a growing number of people who cannot care for themselves. They will have to be wards of the state. Now look at it realistically, we have a growing number of immigrants coming here who have absolutely no loyalty nor connection to Americans at all, much less those who choose to be drug addicts. Will they really have enough sympathy for them to continue to provide support?
That is purely nonsensical and worn-out drug-warrior rhetoric with absolutely no basis in either fact or logic. But to understand why you first need to understand that marijuana is not addictive and the vast majority of Americans who enjoy marijuana, or would enjoy it if it were legal (including me) would never use any of the addictive and otherwise dangerous recreational substances. So if you are among those who still believe in the tired "gateway" myth it is time you educated yourself to the reality that marijuana is a relatively harmless tranquilizer and nothing more. The simple fact is some who use marijuana also use other drugs but most who use marijuana do not.

Americans already have a reputation for being lazy druggies looking for an opportunity to sue and retire on tort lotto proceeds. Is legalizing pot going to improve that? We're in a race to the bottom. There is little doubt this is a race we will win.
Americans have a reputation for being fat. But what you've said is false and nonsensical. The fact is marijuana prohibition is counterproductive in every way.

Conservatives talk about the "nanny state" and intrusive government, yet they want to continue the ridiculous failed war on some drugs. I am amazed that marijuana is still illegal after all these years. There has not been a single death attributable to marijuana use alone. If anybody could grow it in their garden, why would they need to ride shotgun on it? Anybody could grow it if it was legal to do so. I don't see anybody raiding other peoples gardens for lettuce or radishes. Why would this be any different? Besides being a very enjoyable relaxant. It has medical benefits for people with certain conditions like glaucoma, chemo therapy anti-emesis, chronic pain, etc. Whatever you think of other street drugs, marijuana is largely harmless. Legalization is long past due.

LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA A NO WINNER

Legalizing marijuana will create more crime, more drug addiction, and will not generate revenue expected. Unless it will be illegal to grow your own, people will have their won marijuana gardens and they will have to ride shot gun over it to prevent it from being stolen.
What ever government sell it for, drug cartels will sell it cheaper and still make a profit.
The cost involved in legalization will far out weigh any revenue generated, and will not stop drug related crimes.
Legalization of marijuana is a no winner so put it on your shelf and smoke it.
It will increase crime, increase drug addiction and increase of cost of legalization vs. illegal.
Can you even imagine a country full of drug induced Americans. Are they not already crazy enough on prescription drugs?
There are far more alcoholics now then in prohibition and more alcohol related illness and death. Same with cigarette smoking. Oils released in marijuana smoking is dangerous than cigarette smoking. Just because it may me less harmless than cigarettes does not mean it is harmless. I can only imagine the damage it does to a teens young lungs and heart.

Strictly medically speaking, MJ is more benign then alcohol. The biggest problem with legalizing it that I can see is that there is no good quantitative test for acute intoxication and since MJ stays in the system for 2-4 weeks, it would be impossible to tell who was driving under the influence of it.

Chronic users can test positive for MJ up to 30 days after last ingestion. In California the Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Trainings (POST) offers a 24- hour training for officers in detecting intoxication of alcohol and other drugs (AOD); an officer stopping a vehicle on the suspiciion of DUI will conduct a field sobriety test and even if there is no smell of alcohol they can arrest a person based on their observation that the driver was impaired. Completion of this training also allows the officer to testify as an expert witness.

The effect of legalizing and regulating it would be to knock out all the operating capital for the cartels.

I personally think it should be legalized. I don't agree with the concept of medicinal marijuana, as it has become a joke. It's a shame too. Chemo and HIV patients could use it.

In fact if one asks any leo if s/he would rather deal with a drunk or a stoner a 100% will say they would rather deal with the subject stoned.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back