Legalization of marijuana a no winner

Not enough alcohol related deaths, add another intoxicant available legally? No thanks. The prescription pill problem is killing many Americans & I have seen violence in that 'industry'. Focus on stopping the pill epidemic, and treat alcohol related crime harshly. Do not add another drug to the mix.
Do you actually believe the drug laws have any effect on the availability of any drug one might wish to buy? If you do I respectfully suggest you are naive. Because any drug one might wish to buy is available within ten miles of any inhabited place in the Continental USA. If you don't know where to buy drugs near you it's because you don't wish to buy them. That is the only reason.

The War on Drugs is not only totally ineffective it is highly counterproductive in that it is substantially wasteful and is creating a massive prison culture along with a Law Enforcement Industrial Complex which is nudging the U.S. closer and closer to police state status.

Making marijuana legal will not stop the cartels or other drug dealers, they will just move on to create new drugs or stock up on crack cocaine, heroin, mushrooms etc etc

That's true! Making booze legal just created a market for pot.

The cartels won't stop until they are stamped out of existence.

In the 1800s when Britian was colonizing India there was a religious sect called the Thugees (where we get the word thug from). The practice of their religion involved murder, rape and theft. The British exterminated them. No trials, no civil rights claims. They were exterminated like vermin. Now there are no more Thugees.

That's what we need to do with the Cartels. A war of extermination.

Legalizing booze didn't make the Mafia go away either, they just branched out into other rackets. The Cartels will do the same, I can't believe there are people who think that if we legalize drugs the Cartels and drug dealers will all turn into law abiding citizens overnight.:cuckoo:

Making marijuana legal will not stop the cartels or other drug dealers, they will just move on to create new drugs or stock up on crack cocaine, heroin, mushrooms etc etc
Marijuana is the most commonly used of all recreational substances and only a small percentage of those who use or have used marijuana want anything to do with any other drug. The effect of marijuana is very different from the effects of all other recreational substances. It is a totally different experience. Most important, it is not addictive.

One effect of legalized marijuana would be a gradual but significant reduction is the use of beverage alcohol.

Another positive effect will be the proper use of marijuana. I.e., many users will be able to afford sufficient quantities to bake and cook with it rather than smoking it, which is really the only harmful aspect of marijuana use.

And the most positive effect will be a major reduction in our national prison census.

But you are mistaken about the cartels, because marijuana is their most profitable product. If it were legal here the cartels would be significantly diminished.

I don't have any problem with marijuana to be honest, I think its one of the more harmless drugs out there and should be legalized but I doubt very much that legalizing it will stop the Cartels and the way they do business, there are plenty of other rackets for them to move into.

Marijuana is the most commonly used of all recreational substances and only a small percentage of those who use or have used marijuana want anything to do with any other drug. The effect of marijuana is very different from the effects of all other recreational substances. It is a totally different experience. Most important, it is not addictive.

One effect of legalized marijuana would be a gradual but significant reduction is the use of beverage alcohol.

Another positive effect will be the proper use of marijuana. I.e., many users will be able to afford sufficient quantities to bake and cook with it rather than smoking it, which is really the only harmful aspect of marijuana use.

And the most positive effect will be a major reduction in our national prison census.

But you are mistaken about the cartels, because marijuana is their most profitable product. If it were legal here the cartels would be significantly diminished.

I don't have any problem with marijuana to be honest, I think its one of the more harmless drugs out there and should be legalized but I doubt very much that legalizing it will stop the Cartels and the way they do business, there are plenty of other rackets for them to move into.

I tend to agree. In any case, the argument for legalizing it is much simpler. It should be legal because there's no good reason for it to be illegal.

Marijuana should be legal because Rodney King was a model citizen and a hero for children.

Marijuana should be legal because Rodney King was a model citizen and a hero for children.

Rodney King was smoking crack when he was pulled over, not weed.

When his house was searched after he died, they found marijuana plants as well as whatever he needed to grow the stuff.

However, following what you say, if we legalize marijuana the cartels will just shift to crack so we won't gain anything at all. Miami is moving towards making bath salts illegal. The cartels will just peddle that. Thinking that legalizing marijuana will put the cartels out of business is a dream cooked up by potheads.

What will happen is that we will end up with a growing number of people who cannot care for themselves. They will have to be wards of the state. Now look at it realistically, we have a growing number of immigrants coming here who have absolutely no loyalty nor connection to Americans at all, much less those who choose to be drug addicts. Will they really have enough sympathy for them to continue to provide support?

Americans already have a reputation for being lazy druggies looking for an opportunity to sue and retire on tort lotto proceeds. Is legalizing pot going to improve that? We're in a race to the bottom. There is little doubt this is a race we will win.

Rodney King was smoking crack when he was pulled over, not weed.

When his house was searched after he died, they found marijuana plants as well as whatever he needed to grow the stuff.

However, following what you say, if we legalize marijuana the cartels will just shift to crack so we won't gain anything at all. Miami is moving towards making bath salts illegal. The cartels will just peddle that. Thinking that legalizing marijuana will put the cartels out of business is a dream cooked up by potheads.

What will happen is that we will end up with a growing number of people who cannot care for themselves. They will have to be wards of the state. Now look at it realistically, we have a growing number of immigrants coming here who have absolutely no loyalty nor connection to Americans at all, much less those who choose to be drug addicts. Will they really have enough sympathy for them to continue to provide support?

Americans already have a reputation for being lazy druggies looking for an opportunity to sue and retire on tort lotto proceeds. Is legalizing pot going to improve that? We're in a race to the bottom. There is little doubt this is a race we will win.

Legalizing marijuana definently will not put the Cartels out of business, they will just adapt to the new surroundings and like you said invest more in something like crack cocaine or this new bath salts thing. They may lose money initially but they will figure it out.

In the 1800s when Britian was colonizing India there was a religious sect called the Thugees (where we get the word thug from). The practice of their religion involved murder, rape and theft. The British exterminated them. No trials, no civil rights claims. They were exterminated like vermin. Now there are no more Thugees.

Legalizing booze didn't make the Mafia go away either, they just branched out into other rackets. The Cartels will do the same, I can't believe there are people who think that if we legalize drugs the Cartels and drug dealers will all turn into law abiding citizens overnight.:cuckoo:

Most will not (turn into law abiding citizens). But that's another problem which might be solved if our culture was not stuck on doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Organized crime is a product of prohibition. Gambling, drugs, prostitution are less profitable, safer and easier to control if licensed and regulated by the state. To bring the enormous amount of dollars spent by consumers into the market (and out of the black market) makes sense. Of course doing so with MJ threatens the bottom line of the special interests - alcohol and big pharma - and will always be opposed by them.

MJ is not a gateway drug; if there is any gateway drug it would be nicotine.

MJ can be detected by a simple urine test and an officer properly trained can testify as an expert witness that a person arrested for DUI was under the influence of MJ at the time s/he was cited.

MJ is a schedule I drug; if the DOJ removed MJ from schedule I and treated it as it does alcohol (i.e. allowing each state to determine its status) substantial revenue would be collected and might be used to treat addictions (to alcohol, tobacco and other dangerous drugs). As it stands today, the revenue from the sale of MJ and other illegal drugs goes into the black market and is used by organized crime to engage in other antisocial activities.

Most will not (turn into law abiding citizens). But that's another problem which might be solved if our culture was not stuck on doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Organized crime is a product of prohibition. Gambling, drugs, prostitution are less profitable, safer and easier to control if licensed and regulated by the state. To bring the enormous amount of dollars spent by consumers into the market (and out of the black market) makes sense. Of course doing so with MJ threatens the bottom line of the special interests - alcohol and big pharma - and will always be opposed by them.

MJ is not a gateway drug; if there is any gateway drug it would be nicotine.

MJ can be detected by a simple urine test and an officer properly trained can testify as an expert witness that a person arrested for DUI was under the influence of MJ at the time s/he was cited.

MJ is a schedule I drug; if the DOJ removed MJ from schedule I and treated it as it does alcohol (i.e. allowing each state to determine its status) substantial revenue would be collected and might be used to treat addictions (to alcohol, tobacco and other dangerous drugs). As it stands today, the revenue from the sale of MJ and other illegal drugs goes into the black market and is used by organized crime to engage in other antisocial activities.

I think it is time to legalize however the people that are under this illusion that legalizing weed will stop the Cartels and take drug dealers out of the streets are going to be very disapointed. If we are going to legalize MJ we have to be realistic about it.

It is time to legalize it because ultimately it will lead to fewer drug users as they die off. Drug users tend to die young. Rodney King was only 47. There will be a period of adjustment as more and more people can't take care of themselves and need to be supported, but that can be dealt with by strengthening self defense laws.

It is time to legalize it because ultimately it will lead to fewer drug users as they die off. Drug users tend to die young. Rodney King was only 47. There will be a period of adjustment as more and more people can't take care of themselves and need to be supported, but that can be dealt with by strengthening self defense laws.

Did Rodney King die because of drugs though?

We'll have to wait for the toxicology report. No doubt drugs played a heavy part in his life of criminal conduct. He was known to be high when he beat up his girlfriends and the TG whores he picked up as well as numerous DUIs.

More than any other damage, marijuana use is making foreign interests suspicious of Americans. It is assumed that an American is going to be a drug user. Primarily a lazy unmotivated pot smoker primarly interested in getting some opportunity to sue the company and retire into full time drug use. It's a poison that touches us all even those who don't use. It makes foreign companies hesitant to trust our work force. Even American companies are hesitant to hire Americans!

It's distressing really. I can't say we aren't asking for it. Everytime someone says legalize pot, what others hear is I want to be rewarded for being a drug addict.

We'll have to wait for the toxicology report. No doubt drugs played a heavy part in his life of criminal conduct. He was known to be high when he beat up his girlfriends and the TG whores he picked up as well as numerous DUIs.

More than any other damage, marijuana use is making foreign interests suspicious of Americans. It is assumed that an American is going to be a drug user. Primarily a lazy unmotivated pot smoker primarly interested in getting some opportunity to sue the company and retire into full time drug use. It's a poison that touches us all even those who don't use. It makes foreign companies hesitant to trust our work force. Even American companies are hesitant to hire Americans!

It's distressing really. I can't say we aren't asking for it. Everytime someone says legalize pot, what others hear is I want to be rewarded for being a drug addict.

Well weed is legal in quite a few countries, I thought the international community viewed our drug laws as too strict?

Well weed is legal in quite a few countries, I thought the international community viewed our drug laws as too strict?

If you haven't realized it yet, Katz is full of shit. :) The idea that people smoking pot are all going to die young is so ludicrous it can only be trolling. I'd recommend not replying, you will get the same tired BS over and over.

Forum List

Back