Legal to lie about combat medals

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
"The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Aug 18, 2010 9:20:34 EDT
PASADENA, Calif. — A federal appeals court panel ruled Tuesday that people have a right to lie about receiving military medals, the second federal court decision in a month to go against the Stolen Valor Act. Xavier Alvarez, who falsely claimed in 2007 to have received the Medal of Honor, challenged the law on appeal after he was charged with violating the act, which makes it a crime to falsely claim to have won a military medal.
Alvarez said the act is a violation of free-speech rights. A panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Alvarez in a 2-1 decision. The majority said there was no evidence that such lies harm anybody, and there is no compelling reason for the government to ban such lies."

Since the courts have decided that is legal to lie does that make morally right? What about the politicians who have been forced to resign for falsely claiming to have earned medals? Should they be forced out of office?

Men and woman have been dying and sacrificing their minds and bodies for this country for centuries. Rulings such as these cast a shadow on all of their medals. So is it is legal to wear a full military uniform with medals in public without ever serving in the military?

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Veterans have been lying about their service record ever since there have been wars

You can lie about being a doctor, lie about being a professional baseball player, lie about being a lawyer

Why would a lie about your military record be a crime?

Veterans have been lying about their service record ever since there have been wars

You can lie about being a doctor, lie about being a professional baseball player, lie about being a lawyer

So would it be wrong for Obama to dress in full military dress (of course he is the cic of the armed forces so he can) and wear the medal of honor?

It's not legal to lie about being a doctor and then practicing medicine.

I think it should be illegal to lie about a military record if it allows for advancement, special treatment, or monitary gain. It's fraud.

Liars about their service do nothing nut cheapen the sacrifices of the real heroes.

Yes they do.

How many veterans lie about being in combat?
How many lie about war injuries?
How many lie about their rank?

Should they be prosecuted?

Liars about their service do nothing nut cheapen the sacrifices of the real heroes.

Yes they do.

How many veterans lie about being in combat?
How many lie about war injuries?
How many lie about their rank?

Should they be prosecuted?

Yes, I can't stand fake heroes. I believe the Stolen Valor act should be re-instated and yes the fakes should be prosecuted.

I think it should be illegal to lie about a military record if it allows for advancement, special treatment, or monitary gain. It's fraud.

I agree

There is a difference in lying for monetary gain and lying in trying to get laid

I agree

There is a difference in lying for monetary gain and lying in trying to get laid

True. Any lie to get laid is an acceptable lie...except when the lie is "I'm 18, honest."

I agree

True. Any lie to get laid is an acceptable lie...except when the lie is "I'm 18, honest."

Well, even I have to give ya that.....

They probably have to rewrite the law to make it illegal only if there is some sort of monetary gain. All that does is then make it a version of fraud.

That would seperate out those just lying for the "getting laid" reason, and punish those who are using it for personal profit

They probably have to rewrite the law to make it illegal only if there is some sort of monetary gain. All that does is then make it a version of fraud.

That would seperate out those just lying for the "getting laid" reason, and punish those who are using it for personal profit

Getting laid is not for personal profit? :lol::lol:

Getting laid is not for personal profit? :lol::lol:

Only if you are not a whore.

An old Army adage: What's the difference between a fairy tale and war story? A fairy tale begins with "once upon a time...." and a war story begins with "there I was...."

Point is that it's not unusual for folks to exaggerate, elaborate or masturbate their own self-worth. Ultimately, they have to live with the person who stares right back at them in the mirror.

The only legal point I see is when an individual makes a false claim in order to obtain a benefit specifically reserved for Purple Heart recipients, disabled veterans, etc. But that's more of a standard case of fraud than stolen valor. It's not that the individual lied about being a Purple Heart recipient. It's all about the free parking in city and state operated parking lots, or getting special consideration when applying for loans, or receiving special consideration when applying for jobs as a disabled veteran that make it a fraud issue.

I once read a post that went something like, "There are approximately 3,000 Navy Seals, 6,000 of them are on AOL."

New Topics

Forum List

Back