Legal Advice

J

janeeng

Ok, some of those know what my Son and his so called friend were up to before Christmas, some don't. Briefly, a situation of rock throwing!!!!! and BUSTED!!!! The friend, shouldn't have been around Jared, which he isn't now anyway, but let's just say, I screwed up then and smartened up now.

Well, they get busted by cops - Right after New Year's I visit the Police Station and was told that the damage had to be paid for.

1. cars they put rocks through across the street from me at car lot, old used cars which were being fixed up as rentals - they claims $500 in damages.

2. this is the best, the neighbor - claims they have holes in aluminum siding which they want $550 in damages, now mind you, I have been here 7 years and so has the aluminum siding - not sure if there were any kind of holes there before or not, but I know they threw some from the fence which would be one sided, not the whole house, and in that area, I can't see much damage at all.

I asked for proof of an adjuster coming out, and nothing! this is a figure the people all came up with.

If restotution (probably wrong spelling, sorry) isn't taken care of, then they will bring the kids back down to headquarters and consider them as arrested and put a card in their file.

So, what I am asking - can't I DEMAND proof of this amount, more so from neighbor? How do I know there weren't holes there from years ago!?

Ok, any help, let me know! thanks

Wow Jim, I'm impressed - where did you get all this legal knowledge?

First, that was great Darin! :clap:

Yes, the kids signed a confession! However, the so called damage to the house, is a small hole on the side. I asked the police how did this guy come up with $550, he told me "obviously in his mind, there isn't any proof" the cop also claimed that they went out to observe the damage. I do know that there is only one hole, and if on other side, then I guess he will try for that too even though they weren't over there.

Think I just might take the advice on the Old Codger and have him take me to court after I make sure I get pictures and see if the old coot will allow a professional in that field go look at it, which I doubt he will.

Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!

Originally posted by dmp
To beat a familiar drum - don't offer to pay ANYTHING unless he takes you to court - or, just pay for the damages to the car windows, or whatever. :)

Yeah, will have to see what comes of it!

BTW - nice new avatar Darin!!!! hehe!

Janeen,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something contrary to what the others have said. It seems like the police are offering you a way to avoid criminal charges. Even if the private citizens are milking this a little bit you have to weigh that against a criminal record for your son.

Perhaps you can negotiate with the other parties and let them know that you'd be willing to pay a lesser amount?

I have to think that $1,050 is small amount to pay to have your son not have to bear criminal charges.

Originally posted by dmp
...charges which will go away when he's an adult...if he's guilty, let the charges stand...then, when he's 18, send him to the Army :D

hahah, Too bad that I think the Army would take one day of him and give him the boot!

You could be right Moi, and with the car rental place, I will talk with them - but, I was told that the old bat was going to call me and talk this out, which, I haven't heard a word, so, he doesn't call me, as the Police told me HE WILL call, then freag him! They wouldn't give me his number and made it clear, he would call. so far, nothing! this guy is stupid in a way too, he also did a hit and run, which I will let him know that I could always tell the CRAZY guy he hit, he did it! let him deal with a nut case then.

Janneen...

Welcome to my life - lol

I am dealing with alot of the same SHIT regarding my son right now except its in the courts. oy vey.

Keep it out of the courts if you can, for your OWN sanity.
Believe me - I dont think I have any sanity left.

*re the sanity remark - DK, you can just be quiet now*

:D

:cof:

I have to agree with the statement about not offering to settle. An offer to settle is seen by the courts as an admission of guilt, and if the nutcase neighbor is good in small claims court he can and probably will get all he seeks. I had a dispute with a neighbor over a bill he generated but I benifitted from. I offered to settle and ended up footing the whole bill plus legal fee's. How old are the kids? I am not sure that the Police had the right to question or have them sign a confession as they are minors and should have had parent /Legal guardian and or a Lawyer present before they were questioned. The hole in the siding, did the kids say they did that too? or is he just trying to get something for himself out of a bad situation.? was there a police report made for the damage to the house? If there wasnt the people dont have much to stand on. My guess is they heard about the rock-tossing and are attempting to get in your pocket! I guess it all hinges on wither they admitted bombing the house with rocks or not. If its not in the confession[it dont hold water anyways, its by minors] I would tell Mr.Asshole neighbor to sue me and see you in court. After the kids are 18 there records are sealed. Been there,

I disagee with all the info given. Let them ship him off to juvie. It builds character!! :p:

Originally posted by Jackass
I disagee with all the info given. Let them ship him off to juvie. It builds character!! :p:

Damn, that's cold Chuckie - guess they should have done that with you!!! hahahahahahah!

Boy Lanyce, I am starting to see there are a lot more things in common with our Sons!!!!!!!!!! Sanity, damn, I lost that years ago, I don't know what I am working on now!

youre probly working on the same thing I am working on.....and I dont think there is a name for it......lol

:D

I hear it gets better.......I'll let you know if it gets better here - you let me know if it gets better there. lol. maybe one of us can give the other some hope!

:cof:

Forum List

Back