Legacy admissions: White affirmative action

Bass v 2.0

Biblical Warrior For God.
Jun 16, 2008
Pennsylvania
The same people who bash affirmative action either ignore and or are uninformed about the number of legacy admissions to elite colleges and even non-elite colleges, which can also adversely influence whether one gets accepted or not at a college, but why is the focus always on people of colour who supposedly get nods over more deserving white students? Have these same white college students who complain about getting rejected on account that some less qualified got selected even make similar arguments against legacy admissions or do they like every other idiot assume that all these rich white kids are qualified and earned their admissions? one of the benefits of white privilege is no one will question how you made to college because its assume and or a given that you worked hard for it, the same can't be said of people of colour. Legacy asmissions go against the concept of meritocracy:

A "legacy" of racial injustice in American higher education: it's admission time again--this month admission staffs at the nation's elite institutions are scrutinizing hundreds of college applications. It's also legacy time again. (24-JAN-08) Diverse

Notable quote:

Because legacy admits are typically wealthy, White, fourth-generation college students, they offer little to colleges and universities in terms of racial and ethnic diversity. In fact, according to multiple sources, over 90 percent of legacy admits are White Protestants. Thus, legacy admits systematically reproduce a culture of racial and economic privilege.

Research shows that legacies enjoy a 25 percent advantage in admission processes at selective institutions, whereas Blacks receive only an 18 percent advantage due to affirmative action. According to Princeton demographer Dr. Thomas Espenshade, for example, being a legacy applicant is the equivalent of receiving a 160-point boost on the SAT. So, why aren't we seeing controversial lawsuits filed against legacy applicants? Legacy admission policies not only have a potentially negative impact on students of color, they also diminish the chances of admission for low-income and first-generation students.

Thus, many scholars assert that legacy preference is "affirmative action for rich White people." In the words of Daniel Golden in his 2007 book The Price of Admission: How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way Into Elite Colleges, "even as conservative critics paint affirmative action for college-bound minorities as giving African-Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans an unfair advantage over more capable White candidates, the truth is the reverse. The number of Whites enjoying preference far outweighs the number of minorities aided by affirmative action." Perhaps emphasizing this class-based discrimination will lead to legal challenges to legacy policies, since many Americans are more willing to acknowledge "race-less" economic partiality than race-based inequality.

Last edited:
I doubt very much that the "legacy" admissions outnumber affirmative action admissions.

Even if so, there is something they bring: money, for one. They can pay full tuition, and their families donate to the college otherwise. This in turn helps support kids who might rely on scholarships.

Affirmative action admissions bring nothing, except a higher crime rate on campus.

Also, I wonder what the policy is at Howard?

Last edited:
I know someone who went to Howard for one semester. They said it was such a hellhole and that it was essentially a diploma mill.

I doubt very much that the "legacy" admissions outnumber affirmative action admissions.

Even if so, there is something they bring: money, for one. They can pay full tuition, and their families donate to the college otherwise. This in turn helps support kids who might rely on scholarships.

Affirmative action admissions bring nothing, except a higher crime rate on campus.

Legacy admissions receive higher *PREFERENCE* than affirmative action candidates, if people are going to argue that people should be admitted from a merit standpoint[which is what anti-affirmative action bandits argue for] legacy admits should equally not be given preference, they're just as likely to box out higher qualified people also.

Legacy admissions receive higher *PREFERENCE* than affirmative action candidates

Let me see if I can figure this out. You have two candidates for admission. One candidate comes from a family that has had several generations of their family graduate from the college and as alumni, make donations to continue the on-going activities of the college. This candidate is white and while a student in high school received excellent grades. The other candidate is a person of color who has never had a single family member attend the college and the person of color is relying on an affirmative action ruling to get into the college. This answer is pretty simple to me. Follow the money and proven success.

Legacy admissions receive higher *PREFERENCE* than affirmative action candidates

Let me see if I can figure this out. You have two candidates for admission. One candidate comes from a family that has had several generations of their family graduate from the college and as alumni, make donations to continue the on-going activities of the college. This candidate is white and while a student in high school received excellent grades. The other candidate is a person of color who has never had a single family member attend the college and the person of color is relying on an affirmative action ruling to get into the college. This answer is pretty simple to me. Follow the money and proven success.

So are you saying money should have preference over merit and achievement? Why should a less achieving legacy admission receive more preference that a black AA candidtae with better grades and or a higher achieving white who is not a a legacv admit? Those who argue against AA say no one should be given preference but now you're making exceptions for the white and wealth? Hypocrite!

So are you saying money should have preference over merit and achievement? Why should a less achieving legacy admission receive more preference that a black AA candidtae with better grades and or a higher achieving white who is not a a legacv admit? Those who argue against AA say no one should be given preference but now you're making exceptions for the white and wealth? Hypocrite!

Not me. This issue might move me more if there were crowds of talented blacks and poor whites clamoring to get in but excluded because of legacy preference, but this just isn't the case. Especially with regard to blacks. As a white partisan, I don't give a shit if it's a genius black -- let him go improve his OWN people -- leave MY people the fuck alone.

If there are so many talented blacks out there, why don't they apply their efforts to raising the black race? Maybe because the black race can't be raised beyond a certain quite modest level.

As Wilmot Robertson says, "nothing breeds hate like success."

Last edited:
Entry into college should be by merit only...end of story. Not based on AA and no extra points given just because daddy and granddaddy went there. If you can't get in on your own then you don't deserve to be there.

Heck I'd like to see them revamp applications so that applicant's apply under a number (assign each HS senior a "graduation number" to be used on applications) so that even the biases that can come up based on names would be removed from the application process. There's no reason that kids should be punished because of, or profit from, someone else's prejudices based on their name sounding more ethnic/white.

Hypocrite!

I see how the game is played with you. If I have a different opinion, I am a hypocrite. OK. I'm a hypocrite. I guess you are a racist as everyone in your posts claim you to be. Fair enough.

Hypocrite!

I see how the game is played with you. If I have a different opinion, I am a hypocrite. OK. I'm a hypocrite. I guess you are a racist as everyone in your posts claim you to be. Fair enough.

No, what you fail to realize is that one cannot argue for merit being the sole criteria for whom gets a college admission then argue against affirmative action and be for legacy admissions at the same time. Its hypocrisy.

The same people who bash affirmative action either ignore and or are uninformed about the number of legacy admissions to elite colleges and even non-elite colleges, which can also adversely influence whether one gets accepted or not at a college, but why is the focus always on people of colour who supposedly get nods over more deserving white students? Have these same white college students who complain about getting rejected on account that some less qualified got selected even make similar arguments against legacy admissions or do they like every other idiot assume that all these rich white kids are qualified and earned their admissions? one of the benefits of white privilege is no one will question how you made to college because its assume and or a given that you worked hard for it, the same can't be said of people of colour. Legacy asmissions go against the concept of meritocracy:

A "legacy" of racial injustice in American higher education: it's admission time again--this month admission staffs at the nation's elite institutions are scrutinizing hundreds of college applications. It's also legacy time again. (24-JAN-08) Diverse

Notable quote:

Because legacy admits are typically wealthy, White, fourth-generation college students, they offer little to colleges and universities in terms of racial and ethnic diversity. In fact, according to multiple sources, over 90 percent of legacy admits are White Protestants. Thus, legacy admits systematically reproduce a culture of racial and economic privilege.

Research shows that legacies enjoy a 25 percent advantage in admission processes at selective institutions, whereas Blacks receive only an 18 percent advantage due to affirmative action. According to Princeton demographer Dr. Thomas Espenshade, for example, being a legacy applicant is the equivalent of receiving a 160-point boost on the SAT. So, why aren't we seeing controversial lawsuits filed against legacy applicants? Legacy admission policies not only have a potentially negative impact on students of color, they also diminish the chances of admission for low-income and first-generation students.

Thus, many scholars assert that legacy preference is "affirmative action for rich White people." In the words of Daniel Golden in his 2007 book The Price of Admission: How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way Into Elite Colleges, "even as conservative critics paint affirmative action for college-bound minorities as giving African-Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans an unfair advantage over more capable White candidates, the truth is the reverse. The number of Whites enjoying preference far outweighs the number of minorities aided by affirmative action." Perhaps emphasizing this class-based discrimination will lead to legal challenges to legacy policies, since many Americans are more willing to acknowledge "race-less" economic partiality than race-based inequality.
Hate to burst your bubble but studies show that a african american student does better at a state school where they don't need to be a legacy to get in to than if they attended a private school. An african american student is more likely to graduate if they attend a state school and or also more likely to pass the bar if they attend a state school. Affirmative Action in these cases is hurting your minority group rather than help it.
This is also one of the reasons why I do not support affirmative action and it isn't because I am racist.

Hate to burst your bubble but studies show that a african american student does better at a state school where they don't need to be a legacy to get in to than if they attended a private school. An african american student is more likely to graduate if they attend a state school and or also more likely to pass the bar if they attend a state school. Affirmative Action in these cases is hurting your minority group rather than help it.
This is also one of the reasons why I do not support affirmative action and it isn't because I am racist.

This thread is about legacy admissions being a form of affirmative action for the white and privileged, one cannot be for legacy admissions and against affirmative action if merit is what they believe should take precedence. People argue against affirmative action because blacks and other minorities take advantage of them and traditionally these people are/have been looked down upon as inferior, under-achieving, etc, while people turn a blind eye to legacy admissions which gives the white and privileged and rich preference, its hypocrisy.

LIfe sucks! My parents made too much money for me to get aid and not enough to pay for my brother and I to go to a four year college. And there isn't a whole lot of scholarships for white middle class person. So I had to work and help pay for my college, welcome to the real world.
And why wouldn't they invest in a legacy over any other group, they are a better investment. They are more likely to graduate because they have been better prepared and they are also more likely to donate money to the school as an alumni.

Notable quote:

Another convoluted, baseless argument brought to us by Charles Ass.:cuckoo:

what a crock of shit. As if black bastards crying about ironic racism can't qualify as a legacy.

go pull your pants up, charles bass.

my favorite part is where they article states blacks have 18 percent advantage over anyone who isn't a legacy and he is posting it here, where most people were probably not legacies when they entered college. I guess we should feel bad for him. lmao

Last edited:

Forum List

Back