Lefty Wilbury....

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I'm assuming from your name and old avatar that you're a fan of the Traveling Wilburys, correct?

If so, you may want to check out Jenny Lewis's cover of "Handle With Care", it's with Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie and Conor Oberst from Bright Eyes. I've actually never heard the original, but the cover's really good.

Actually, if you're into old-school country, Lewis's whole album is pretty durn good. She's the primary vocalist in Rilo Kiley, if that means anything to you.

She was also the red-haired girl in the Fred Savage movie The Wizard, if that means anything. The guitar player in Rilo Kiley is Pinskey from Salute Your Shorts!, too.

i now the movie the wizard. thats old school nes. had the super mario bros three tie in.i've got it on tape! she was cute. always wondered what happend to her. i'll have to check out the cover.

Yeah, I had a third grade crush on her back then, and I have one on her again now.

i should be heading to the record store tomorrow i'll keep an eye out for these albums. they show the Rilo Kiley albums online but newbury comics is mismanaged to say the least. they never know what they have in the store.

Both Rilo Kiley's 'Takeoffs and Landings' & 'More Adventurous' are pretty good. I like the former better, just because it was an indie album, and it had more variety than More Adventurous, which is good, but the band really found their niche in that one and stuck with it pretty much throughout.

i didn't hit the store today i got sidetracked doing things. i'm going to call tomorrow though before i head over that way if they don't have any of them i don't have to travel far in the shitty weather for nothing. i think i'll try tower records as well.

Y'know, if you want, I can probably get you a couple 'free samples' of some of these tracks. Just hit me up on PM if you're interested.

thats ok. i don't have any media players set up on my comps. windows media sucks balls (and it sends info back to the microsoft mothership) and a lot of downloadable mp3 players suck too besides i don't use them any way. i'll pick up at least one of the discs maybe two if their there.i have no problem buying cds. i always take shots in the dark.

Fair enuff, I just hate to recommend music to someone and then have them hate it.

thats never happend. i always like something. i've only had one shot in the dark that i didn't like and that was kenny wayne shepards first album. it only confirmed what i already knew: he was an SRV ripoff

Cool. I don't like Kenny Wayne, either.

Rilo Kiley & Jenny Lewis's solo effort are not earth-shattering, but they're very well-done nuanced alt-country and indie pop.

i got both more adventurous and take offs and landings. i put on more adventurous and the first verse of the first song is a bush bashing verse! but seriously i've liked what i've heard so for. i haven't put on take offs and landings yet.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. But, after that song, they never mention Bush again.

And, I just now realized that I screwed up big-time. 'Take-offs and Landings' is actually one of their albums that I'm not a fan of. I meant to tell you to get 'The Execution of all Things'. 'Takeoffs and Landings' is pretty good, though. Sorry!

Rilo Kiley was on Austin city limits tonight. i don't know when its on again but up here they usually show the same episode for like a week so check your local listings to see when its on in your area

Yeah, this week they had Gretchen Wilson (blecccch) on ACL around here, I guess it's regional. I heard Rilo Kiley did a pretty good show on there.

Forum List

Back