Leftovers

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Not what you're thinking of.

I'm talking about the vegetable ends (throwaways), chicken/turkey bones, gristle, fat and skin.

When I start prepping a chicken or turkey I take the excess cut off fat, onion "heads", celery and carrot discards and put them in a stock pot with water on medium low, salt as desired. I cover and turn off the burner at night then restart it in the AM. As the bird is consumed I add the bones and other throwaways plus more water as needed, (I generally strip the leftover meat from the bones on the second day). Continue cooking for another day or two, strain the cooled liquid into a container and refrigerate overnight. When it has set, skim the fat from the top and what you have left is a chicken or turkey gel. Put the gel in ice trays and freeze, then wrap the frozen, homemade "bullion" in plastic wrap.

You're okay if you refrigerate it and don't let it sit at that optimum bacteria-producing heat, which I think is like 120 degrees or something; and if it's either frozen or trashed by the 4th day.

The asians have a similar soup that's like a continual pot. But it truly is continual, and kept at a constant, high heat. They just keep adding stuff to it, but the heat is high enough that hopefully you don't die, and they call them like 3000-year soup or something.

You do have to be really careful about adding new food to old, and thinking that makes it fresh, because it doesn't. But so long as it's frozen on the 4th day it should be okay. Just remember when you thaw it out...it already is x days old.

Doesn't it get a little funky sitting out for several days?

Except at night when you cover it and turn it off it's constantly being cooked. Anything bad is killed. People have been doing this since before refrigeration except then they tended to use it right away. By properly wrapping and freezing the cubes, they will last up to six months.
And no, I don't cook it longer than three days.

Last edited:

Except at night when you cover it and turn it off it's constantly being cooked. Anything bad is killed. People have been doing this since before refrigeration except then they tended to use it right away. By properly wrapping and freezing the cubes, they will last up to six months.

Not to be a dope but . . . how does it continue to cook after you turn off the heat? :confused:

Not to be a dope but . . . how does it continue to cook after you turn off the heat? :confused:
It stays warm for a few hours when covered, plus when you restart the cooking process anything that may have manifested itself is dead by the time you shut it off again. Besides if you're really worried about that potentiality then leave it on warm all night then turn it back up in the morning. Problem solved.
One can continually cook it for two days, covering it at night to minimize water loss, adding water as needed then strain, refrigerate and freeze. Use a 6 to 8 quart stock pot so water loss will be minimal in relation to total amount.

It's that period of "hot-warm-cold" that we were taught to minimize so we'd not grow the deadly bacteria. Hot directly to the fridge - cool as quickly as possible. Date everything.

It stays warm for a few hours when covered, plus when you restart the cooking process anything that may have manifested itself is dead by the time you shut it off again. Besides if you're really worried about that potentiality then leave it on warm all night then turn it back up in the morning. Problem solved.
One can continually cook it for two days, covering it at night to minimize water loss, adding water as needed then strain, refrigerate and freeze. Use a 6 to 8 quart stock pot so water loss will be minimal in relation to total amount.

I do much the same thing but I use a large crock pot and keep it on low so the stock never cools down and the lid keeps most of the moisture in.

I made a donation to the Sunbeam Company C/O Crock Pot on behalf of my stomach.

It's that period of "hot-warm-cold" that we were taught to minimize so we'd not grow the deadly bacteria. Hot directly to the fridge - cool as quickly as possible. Date everything.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and I bet you use anti-bacterial soap also. I and millions of others have been doing this for countless generations without harm. Go figure. :D

Last edited:
I also made a big pot of beautiful turkey stock: bones and bits, onion, turnip, leek, carrot, celery, garlic, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns, and salt. Cooked it over night and then made soup the afternoon after Thanksgiving. Turned out DELISH - and VVHealthy!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and I bet you use anti-bacterial soap also. I and millions of others have been doing this for countless generations without harm. Go figure. :D

I don't touch anti-bacterial soap. It's worthless.

Not what you're thinking of.

I'm talking about the vegetable ends (throwaways), chicken/turkey bones, gristle, fat and skin.

When I start prepping a chicken or turkey I take the excess cut off fat, onion "heads", celery and carrot discards and put them in a stock pot with water on medium low, salt as desired. I cover and turn off the burner at night then restart it in the AM. As the bird is consumed I add the bones and other throwaways plus more water as needed, (I generally strip the leftover meat from the bones on the second day). Continue cooking for another day or two, strain the cooled liquid into a container and refrigerate overnight. When it has set, skim the fat from the top and what you have left is a chicken or turkey gel. Put the gel in ice trays and freeze, then wrap the frozen, homemade "bullion" in plastic wrap.

The word you're looking for is demi glaze: a highly reduced stock.

Last edited:
I just give all my food scraps to the kid down the road, he feeds it to his pigs.

It tastes pretty good once it is turned into bacon and sausage ;)

My granny used to do the same thing. Of course I'd forgotten all about it but your talking about the onion "heads" brought back a very nostalgic memory. I'd watched her doing that many times and she had that big stock pot on the back of the stove for days and threw everything in it.

That old lady really helped to carry her family through the Great Depression. She believed very strongly in wasting nothing. My aunt learned from her and ended up working for the New York City Department of Social Services in the 40s when welfare was called Home Relief and they gave out food parcels at local centers instead of mailing checks and food stamps. She gave classes at the centers on how to feed a family on the inexpensive food items they were given.

Different world.

Forum List

Back