Leftist Government vs. Business

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
What proof does one need that a regulation-producing, enviro-Leftist anti-business government will lead to the desruction of the economy?

Need evidence? OK...

1. Andy Puzder, the CEO of Hardee's Restaurants, was one of many witnesses to bemoan California's hostile regulatory climate. He said it takes six months to two years to secure permits to build a new Carl's Jr. restaurant in the Golden State, versus the six weeks it takes in Texas. California is also one of only three states that demands overtime pay after an eight-hour day, rather than after a 40-hour week. Such rules wreak havoc on flexible work schedules based on actual need. If there's a line out the door at a Carl's Jr. while employees are seen resting, it's because they aren't allowed to help: Break time is mandatory.

"You can't build in California, you can't manage in California and you have to pay a big tax," Mr. Puzder told the legislators. "In Texas, it's the opposite—which is why we're building 300 new stores there this year."

Other states are even snatching away parts of California's entertainment industry. The Milken Institute, based in Santa Monica, Calif., reports that 36,000 entertainment jobs have left the state since 1997. The new film "Battle: Los Angeles," which is set in California, was filmed in Louisiana.

"The red tape is ridiculous," says Mark Tolley, the managing partner of B. Knightly Homes, which relocated to Austin from Long Beach in 2005. "Regulators see developers as wearing a black hat and the environmental laws have run amok."
John Fund: California Dreamin'—of Jobs in Texas - WSJ.com

2.Carl’s Jr. has 700 restaurants in California, one-half of which are owned by CKE Restaurants, and the other one-half are franchises. The company has more than 72,000 employees total, 18,500 of which are in California.

Describing CKE Restaurants as a ” job creation machine,” Puzder said that the company had more than $4 billion last year in revenues, and paid $60 million in California taxes.

“It costs us $250,000 more to build one California restaurant than in Texas” said Puzder. “And once it is opened, we’re not allowed to run it.”

Puzder discussed the difficult California permitting requirement process, and “oppressive environmental requirements.” ”It takes eight months to two years to get permits to build a restaurant in California,” said Puzder. “In Texas, it’s one and one-half months.”

“I know it would be a psychological blow to move to Texas, but it would be irresponsible of me not to discuss a move to Texas,” said Puzder. “We just want to build restaurants. It’s hard to stay in a place where you feel hated all of the time.”
A Texas-Sized Move for Carl’s Jr.? | CalWatchDog

3. How short-sighted need one be not to see the handwriting on the wall???

To be fair, you could probably add at least a month or two for sesmic regulations, as texas doesnt have the same chance as an earthquake as california does. After that, I would think the primary issue is layers of regulation, followed by, I agree, the overall nanny-state approach you find in the golden state.

an issue we have in NYC is that the code is modified by addendum, and decades pass between overall revsison of the code. You end up having to read multiple addendums to find out which code to follow.

So....you're point here is that Democrats hate restaurants?

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the tip.

Wouldn't you like to offer a serious opinion, in the face of overwhelming evidence that government by the left is destructive?

For example, how about offering an experience based view, i.e., that the right, when unrestricted, is less supportive to workers....and even though the chance for a job is far better, the job itself may have fewer benefits....

...how's that?

Isn't the Left up to the debate?

It seems that I'm obligated to provide both sides of the argument...

To be fair, you could probably add at least a month or two for sesmic regulations, as texas doesnt have the same chance as an earthquake as california does. After that, I would think the primary issue is layers of regulation, followed by, I agree, the overall nanny-state approach you find in the golden state.

an issue we have in NYC is that the code is modified by addendum, and decades pass between overall revsison of the code. You end up having to read multiple addendums to find out which code to follow.

An informed post.

But the discussion I would like to see is a type of 'Laffer Curve' of business regulation, a Goldilocks level, not too hard, not too soft.

And maybe an overlay where taxation plays into same.
It's pretty clear that the California is not a business friendly environment.

Sorry, don't have a graph, but the costs of regulation in 2009 were estimated to be 1.75 trillion. Bound to be a lot higher now. The linked article has a lot of information, it's no wonder our economy is stuck in neutral.

Hidden Tax | government regulation | red tape | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

I dont really trust things that claim to give you a value of something like regulation.

Things like building codes are needed to assure structures are built in a certain way. the problem comes from people taking the codes and trying to use them for social engineering instead of keeping a fireplace from burning the surrounding drywall.

The other problem comes from codes that get way to specifc, and lead to conflicting values against different codes. Finally add in multiple agencies you have to go get permits for and you end up with a clusterfuck in some juristictions just to add a freaking pool to your backyard.

An informed post.

But the discussion I would like to see is a type of 'Laffer Curve' of business regulation, a Goldilocks level, not too hard, not too soft.

And maybe an overlay where taxation plays into same.
It's pretty clear that the California is not a business friendly environment.

The first step is to keep lawyers away from the damn codes. Some of them appear to be nothing more than cover your ass.

As I said in the previous post, you also need to keep social engineering to a minimum. again, worry about beams being strong enough, not other crap.

Finally codes need to be centralized. If government is going to make them, they need to make them accessable, and centralized. I shouldnt have to go to 5 agencies to add a fire pit to my backyard.

Thanks for the tip.

Wouldn't you like to offer a serious opinion, in the face of overwhelming evidence that government by the left is destructive?

For example, how about offering an experience based view, i.e., that the right, when unrestricted, is less supportive to workers....and even though the chance for a job is far better, the job itself may have fewer benefits....

...how's that?

Isn't the Left up to the debate?

It seems that I'm obligated to provide both sides of the argument...

Now now, I have no idea why there are soo many regulations in a state where the governorship has been dominated by republicans for a century.

Partisanship aside, I will agree in the short term fewer regulations help business. In the long term I am thrilled it is difficult to get permits for some businesses.

We could probably get together on this one and eliminate a good amount of red tape. In my line of work I find it to be ridiculous on the local level. One easy example, we need to file with two city agencies and and the fire department to get permits to rent a vacant space. In this computer age the fire department should just be notified instead of forcing a special trip to their offices.

so what we really have here is the ability to do biz in our over beuracrctic system as a smll biz (who can't afford to make these leaps) vs. the fortune 500's who not only have a choice, it's a sanctioned by Congress choice to

LEAVE

don't let all that social engineering slap you in the a*s as you do, eh?

CA has been seeing massive job loss for decades, its growth machine outstripped the losses up until this past decade. However CA relies on inflation to create jobs and has done so since the gold rush but now it is relying on deflationary high tech to increase job rolls but those jobs are headed to Seattle and Austin. I suspect the loss of population share expected in the 2020 census results will hit hard. The world is on the downslope of job and GDP growth with outsourcing and automation being the norm. When outsourcing gets overtaken by automation that is going to be it for CA. No prediction on when that will hit but I will be surprised if CA is a top five state in population 20 years from now.

Forum List

Back