Leftist demagoguery at its finest…

Capitalist

Jeffersonian Liberal
May 22, 2010

(NY Times)- In a radio interview that aired on Univision on Monday, Mr. Obama sought to assure Hispanics that he would push an immigration overhaul after the midterm elections, despite fierce Republican opposition.
“If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonnapunish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2.”
Referring specifically to Republicans such as Senator John McCain, who are stressing border security and supporting strict immigration laws like Arizona’s anti-illegal immigration measure, Mr. Obama said, “Those aren’t the kinds of folks who represent our core American values.”

Don't the republicans help out the rich who support them with lots of money and then punish poor people because they don't vote for them. They do the same thing on both sides.

Don't the republicans help out the rich who support them with lots of money and then punish poor people because they don't vote for them. They do the same thing on both sides.

Well if you read it again: "We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us".
I would say he is threatening the Latino voters . If Obamasama thinks all Latino's want open border policies, he better get himself some new focus groups. He's starting to sound desperate.
I'm not sure how that fits in with your remarks, since they don't make much sense.

(NY Times)- In a radio interview that aired on Univision on Monday, Mr. Obama sought to assure Hispanics that he would push an immigration overhaul after the midterm elections, despite fierce Republican opposition.
“If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonnapunish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2.”
Referring specifically to Republicans such as Senator John McCain, who are stressing border security and supporting strict immigration laws like Arizona’s anti-illegal immigration measure, Mr. Obama said, “Those aren’t the kinds of folks who represent our core American values.”

I guess he was not lying about Changing the discourse in this country. He just meant for the worse. Obama is the Great Divider, He uses racial, and class issues to divide us and play one side VS the other constantly.

Hope and change my ass. It is like he is on a mission to show every president before him how Dirty politics, And Fear mongering, and the blame game are played by a master.

What a disappointment.

Yeah, some post racial guy, huh? Republicans in back, Hispanics to 'punish their enemies', he just cannot fathom that the race card died along with the Blame Bush card. I mean really, one of them should be working...

Charles Main wrote in part:

It is like he is on a mission to show every president before him how Dirty politics, And Fear mongering, and the blame game are played by a master.

We must define "dirty tricks" differently because I view it as campaign material that is deceptive. Doubtless Obama really does intend to pursue Amnesty for illegals....so where is the deception?

Fear mongering? In this election, no one can compete with the Tea Party and the Religious Right.

Blame game...*yawn*. SSDD. Reagan circa 1980-something: "Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem." Every politican since Adam and Eve demonizes the other side.

But I will say this: I'd agree not all Hispanics support Amnesty for illegals and about 90% of Americans oppose it. For good reason. I hope you all plan to light your candidate's hair on fire if they take office and support this suicidal idea.

It is like he is on a mission to show every president before him how Dirty politics, And Fear mongering, and the blame game are played by a master.
We must define "dirty tricks" differently because I view it as campaign material that is deceptive. Doubtless Obama really does intend to pursue Amnesty for illegals....so where is the deception?

Fear mongering? In this election, no one can compete with the Tea Party and the Religious Right.

Blame game...*yawn*. SSDD. Reagan circa 1980-something: "Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem." Every politican since Adam and Eve demonizes the other side.

But I will say this: I'd agree not all Hispanics support Amnesty for illegals and about 90% of Americans oppose it. For good reason. I hope you all plan to light your candidate's hair on fire if they take office and support this suicidal idea.

Depends what he means by "punish our enemies".
Enemies? I thought to disagree was patriotic.
Punish could mean anything from an IRS audit to a beating from a union goon.
Very dangerous talk from the Commander-in-chief.

IRS audit? Do you often find it difficult to comprehend what you read?

"If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2."

This is an appeal to vote. Usually this is known as "GOTV."

"If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2."

Apparently, in Capitalist's world, only conservatives and reactionaries are permitted to engage in hyperbole. If Democrats do it, it's a "dirty trick" or an "implied threat".

Apparently, in Capitalist's world, only conservatives and reactionaries are permitted to engage in hyperbole. If Democrats do it, it's a "dirty trick" or an "implied threat".

Other than the use of "enemies," I don't see anything nearing hyperbole. Latinos are disproportionately Democrats. They're also a huge voting bloc that's ambivalent about voting in this election right now. So a message of "turn out at the polls or it's going to be harder to get any movement on issues important to you" isn't even close to hyperbole.

How do Republicans punish poor people exactly?

You advocate lighting people's hair on fire? What a douchenozzle.

The dumbass in chief ought to check out the polls on such immigration issues. Ignoring the will of the people on several other big issues thus far in his term is the reason the Dimocrats who supported him with their votes are in a world of hurt this election.

No.
I would say that you have a comprehension problem.
I said earlier in this thread that it's a threat toward Latinos.
The POTUS likes making threats.

Other than the use of "enemies," I don't see anything nearing hyperbole. Latinos are disproportionately Democrats. They're also a huge voting bloc that's ambivalent about voting in this election right now. So a message of "turn out at the polls or it's going to be harder to get any movement on issues important to you" isn't even close to hyperbole.

You are not reading the faux sinister threat into what Obama said that Capitalist is. Try re-reading Obama's speech with a tinfoil hat on.

*Laughs*

I just can't help but thinking I've heard this from just about every president that's ever been president.

Apparently, in Madeline's little world she makes up what other people permit, I didn't know I was permitting POTUS to do what he did.
BTW, nice fonts. Since I am in a position of authority, I'll permit you to go bigger.

I just can't help but thinking I've heard this from just about every president that's ever been president.

“punish our enemies”? As a sitting president of the US, I thought that he would have been referring to the Taliban not his own citizens?
I guess narcissists don’t handle rejection at all well.
I do see a pattern:
** Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
** Obama to His Followers: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCMDur9CDZ4"]“Get in Their Faces!”[/ame]
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
** Obama to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it.”
And then there’s this…
Obama told far left Latinos to go out there and “punish” your enemies.

Last edited:

“punish our enemies”? As a sitting president of the US, I thought that he would have been referring to the Taliban not his own citizens?
I guess narcissists don’t handle rejection at all well.
I do see a pattern:
** Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
** Obama to His Followers: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCMDur9CDZ4"]“Get in Their Faces!”[/ame]
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
** Obama to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it
And then there’s this…
Obama told far left Latinos to go out there and “punish” your enemies.

No not talking about that, I'm talking about the whole "immigration reform" statement.

The "punish our enemies" statement was ill-advised and dangerous. Nobody should see someone who has a different political ideology as their enemy, unless that particular ideology restricts one's constitutional rights.

Forum List

Back