Left wingers anti gun stance changes, when she has to face an actual stalker...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This journalist who writes for Salon hates guns....can't stand them......and then......some nut job started to stalk her......

I was anti-gun, until I got stalked

“You need to arm yourself.”

I blinked at the Portland police officer in my living room. This uniformed bear of a man — packing a gun, a nightstick, a radio and who knew what else — was responding to an ongoing stalker problem that had started several months earlier. I’d received letters, a phone call, a few packages and several e-mails from this unbalanced stranger who’d read a few newspaper stories I’d written and taken a shine to me. When the latest letter arrived — mentioning my boyfriend, Mike, thoughts on religion, and a trip I’d taken but hadn’t told anyone about — I was seriously alarmed.

But get a gun? Surely, I’d misheard him.

“Getting a concealed carry permit isn’t hard,” the officer continued. “And they make ladies’ purses with concealed weapons compartments.”

In that moment, I understood the phrase, “blood turning to ice.” I’m afraid of guns. When you get right down to it, I abhor them. I used to date a guy who owned a handgun and regularly trekked into the woods with his friends to shoot. I made him move the small gun safe from beneath the bed to another room before I’d agree to stay overnight.

But that morning was like a perfect storm of firearms. The first thing Mike had said to me when I opened my eyes — hours before the officer made his suggestion, before my neighbor confided she’d been thinking of getting a gun for hiking and kayaking trips, before my retired military uncle e-mailed to say that arming myself probably wouldn’t be a bad idea — was, “Maybe you should get a gun.”

Forum List

Back