Left wing statists wreck Hugo Awards to keep non politically correct authors out.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is a side battle in the fight for freedom. the left has taken over the awarding of the science fiction awards known as the Hugos.

this year, a group of authors tried to nominal authors based on quality of work...you know, the real measure of a books worth. the lefties fought against that idea, and Magee to get "No Award" as the top award for most categories. there is no escaping the left...you will be assimilated....

Sad Puppies 3: Looking at the Results

This is a side battle in the fight for freedom. the left has taken over the awarding of the science fiction awards known as the Hugos.

this year, a group of authors tried to nominal authors based on quality of work...you know, the real measure of a books worth. the lefties fought against that idea, and Magee to get "No Award" as the top award for most categories. there is no escaping the left...you will be assimilated....

Horseshit. I'm a big fan of Jim Butcher. But Skin Game wasn't Hugo material. It was a fun read.

The puppies nominated Skin Game.....because Butcher is a vocal libertarian. Their actions were whorishly political. And they got checked.

Orson Scott Card has won numerous Hugos, and he's about as conservative as they come.

Orson Scott Card has won numerous Hugos, and he's about as conservative as they come.

I guess you haven't been following this, the statistics have taken charge...Card won't win again no matter how good the work.

Right off the bat you can look through our nomination numbers from all of the categories and see that the crying about our super evil slate voting was nonsense. The actual numbers between the various Puppy nominees varied wildly, with some Puppy favorites falling just outside of the short list where we can see the same thing. Yeah, I figured that. All of those charges about voting in lockstep? Nope. The only real lockstep slate vote went to No Award.

No Award is for nominees who are not award worthy. Notice that on these nominees they railed against their identities, the philosophies of who liked them, and the politics of how they were nominated, but we seldom if ever heard anything about the quality of their work. Quality of the work had nothing to do with it. The NA crowd can cache it however they want, they’re defending tradition, this is their thing, it is special to them, they’re TRUEFAN, they’ve been attending since the ‘70s, we’re outsiders, we upset them, how dare we! So on and so forth, but ultimately all those NA categories came down to politics over quality.

Card has gone on with writing disguised Mormon topics in fiction. His right to do so, and it will sell well in that niche. But it is not great fiction.

Right off the bat you can look through our nomination numbers from all of the categories and see that the crying about our super evil slate voting was nonsense. The actual numbers between the various Puppy nominees varied wildly, with some Puppy favorites falling just outside of the short list where we can see the same thing. Yeah, I figured that. All of those charges about voting in lockstep? Nope. The only real lockstep slate vote went to No Award.

The puppies voted politics. The Hugo voters shut them down.

Again, as much as I love Jim Butcher, Skin Game wasn't Hugo material. Butcher's gift is in storytelling. His books are just so much fun to read. But not so much on the high concept. For high concept, I'll go to Rothfuss, Sanderson or Bear.

And the Hugos are about high concept.

Card has gone on with writing disguised Mormon topics in fiction. His right to do so, and it will sell well in that niche. But it is not great fiction.

Actually, the Alvin Maker series was both. Though he kinda lost me at Crystal City. And the Worthing Saga was awesome.

and more about the situation...

Now, a little background on Best Editor, and why there is a Long and Short form. It used to be just Best Editor, only it usually went to short fiction magazine editors. Until Patrick Nielsen Hayden complained one year that he’d edited most of Best Novel nominees (well, that’s a shock) and he didn’t ever get to be Best Editor, so they made a category for him to win every other year (literally).

But there are no cliques or bias!

Editor Toni Weisskopf is a professional’s professional. She has run one of the main sci-fi publishing houses for a decade. She has edited hundreds of books. She has discovered, taught, and nurtured a huge stable of authors, many of whom are extremely popular bestsellers. You will often hear authors complain about their editors and their publishers, but you’re pretty hard pressed to find anyone who has written for her who has anything but glowing praise for Toni.

Yet before Sad Puppies came along, Toni had never received a Hugo nomination. Zero. The above mentioned

Card is a great science fiction writer. I'm a huge fan, and this is coming from someone who is bisexual.

Brandon Sanderson, super mormon, openly anti-LGBT.....won 2 hugos.

And deserved them. The man is an amazing writer.

good+good...+let+the+butthurt+flow+through+you!.jpg

Forum List

Back