Left Wing Media Befriends Westboro Baptist Church

ARLINGTON, Va. — Twenty-two media organizations have sided with a radical church against the father of a fallen Marine who is trying to sue it for picketing his son’s funeral.

The media organizations filed a friend-of-the-court brief on Wednesday with the Supreme Court in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church, which protests near servicemembers’ funerals because it believes that troops’ deaths and other national tragedies are divine revenge for America’s tolerance of gays and lesbians.

The list includes the Associated Press, Bloomberg News, Dow Jones, the E.W. Scripps Company, the Hearst Corporation, NPR, The New York Times, and the Tribune Company (parent of the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times). Jeff Schogol of the military newspaper Stars and Stripes reported these companies joined other free-press advocates in supporting these hateful incitements:

Read more: NewsBusters.org | Exposing Liberal Media Bias

For some strange reason, this does not surprise me. They hate the military more than hate groups.
I don't think they should protest at a funeral, but this is like when they have the Aryan parade in north Idaho. If we tell them they cannot have their parade, who we will tell next that they cannot have their parade? In this country we have to allow people who we do not agree with to have certain rights, so our rights are not taken away. See my sig..

There are reasonable limits on guns, religion, privacy, and speech already. I will side with common sense and decency regardless of politics and lack of legal expertise - every time.

And if the NYT wants to side with the ACLU every time, that is within their right. But they need to get called on it.

ARLINGTON, Va. — Twenty-two media organizations have sided with a radical church against the father of a fallen Marine who is trying to sue it for picketing his son’s funeral.

The media organizations filed a friend-of-the-court brief on Wednesday with the Supreme Court in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church, which protests near servicemembers’ funerals because it believes that troops’ deaths and other national tragedies are divine revenge for America’s tolerance of gays and lesbians.

The list includes the Associated Press, Bloomberg News, Dow Jones, the E.W. Scripps Company, the Hearst Corporation, NPR, The New York Times, and the Tribune Company (parent of the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times). Jeff Schogol of the military newspaper Stars and Stripes reported these companies joined other free-press advocates in supporting these hateful incitements:

Read more: NewsBusters.org | Exposing Liberal Media Bias

For some strange reason, this does not surprise me. They hate the military more than hate groups.

Honest to god, did you just quote newsbusters? Wow. How fair and balanced of you. :eusa_whistle:

Another hyper partisan thread from Chanel that is nothing but a waste of bandwidth. You're worse than Sinatra sometimes Chanel.

There is a difference between trying to protect freedom of speech, no matter how stupid that speech may be and befriending a hate group.

There are reasonable limits on guns, religion, privacy, and speech already. I will side with common sense and decency regardless of politics and lack of legal expertise - every time.

And if the NYT wants to side with the ACLU every time, that is within their right. But they need to get called on it.

It is one thing to call someone out, which is different from wanting to limit the rights of people you don't like.

Another hyper partisan thread from Chanel that is nothing but a waste of bandwidth. You're worse than Sinatra sometimes Chanel.

There is a difference between trying to protect freedom of speech, no matter how stupid that speech may be and befriending a hate group.

Methinks chanel doesn't understand the concept of "Friend of the Court". She must think filing an amicus brief as an interested third party with an independent stake in the outcome is the equivalent of asking WBC to be BFFs. :lol:

Again, governments coming out in limiting people's freedoms, press groups coming out in support of it. This is as much of a non-story as the sun coming up today.

Again, governments coming out in limiting people's freedoms, press groups coming out in support of it. This is as much of a non-story as the sun coming up today.

Yep, THAT doesn't happen every day. :lol::lol:

You know, I usually like to explain this kind of stuff to people who just never had a reason to learn it. It forces me to think it all through from the beginning and walk it through step by step but also makes me feel good, even if it's relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

But sometimes ya just can't fix stupid.

mudwhistle said:
The release of the existence of thousands of intelligence contractors with security clearances, their locations on a detailed map....etc..

If you're talking about the WP three-part report on US intelligence agencies, all of the information gathered and summarized for that report was obtained from existing databases, already available on the Internet.

Here a list of of stupid, wrong, right winged, anti-American, Constitution hatin', Nazis that wrote amicus briefs on behalf of the Snyders:

American Legion

Interest in the case: Since it was chartered by Congress in 1919, the group has honored fallen service members. It feels the Fourth Circuit's decision will make that more difficult.

Attorneys General of 48 states, and the District of Columbia

Interest in the case: For more than 100 years, states have allowed people to sue for inflicting emotional harm on families of the deceased. They're concerned the Fourth Circuit's ruling could make those laws impossible to enforce.

John Marshall Law School Veterans Legal Support Center & Clinic and the Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Interest in the case: Both schools have "extensive experience working with veterans, servicemembers and their families" and "have an interest in presenting to the Court the history of military funerals and the psychological importance of these funerals for the families of servicemembers killed in action."

Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States

Interest in the case: With more than 1.6 million members, the federally-chartered organization maintains as a fundamental purpose "to perpetuate the memory and history of our dead, and to assist their widows and orphans."

42 U.S. Senators

Interest in the case: Members of Congress are "entrusted by the American people to support the military service members charged with the defense of our nation and to ensure that those slain in service are lain to rest with dignity, solemnity and respect."

Senate majority leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, and minority leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, led the report, which 40 other senators, including both of Pennsylvania's, joined in.

Snyder's backers make their case to Supreme Court - The York Daily Record

Interesting twist ..

Liberals on the board ganging up with personal attacks on the messenger for a heart felt point of view.

Liberals on the board twisting obvious hate speech to an issue of freedom of speech.

In my opinion more than any freeloading freedom fighters (ones who never served) the military deserves the ultimate respect and admiration. They are the ones that show the ultimate sacrifices while the rest of us squabble and puke on the rights they have fought for.

You may feel better about yourself proclaiming that you disagree with this bastardized church but the bottom line is you end up supporting the hate speech..

I just wonder what your point of view on the military is?

Ahhh...chanel didn't get a chance to use her buzzwords du jour yet I see. But your employer wanted you to use them to describe the other side, my dear. Wouldn't want to jeopardize your paycheck!

Go talk to sinatra, she'll set you straight I'm sure. ;)

You don't want to go down that path. Especially when I didn't even offer my own opinion in this thread. All I said was their reasoning, it's not a left or right wing thing.

Though it seems your ignorance of accusing me to be Anti-Military is pathetic.

Interesting twist ..

Liberals on the board ganging up with personal attacks on the messenger for a heart felt point of view.

Liberals on the board twisting obvious hate speech to an issue of freedom of speech.

In my opinion more than any freeloading freedom fighters (ones who never served) the military deserves the ultimate respect and admiration. They are the ones that show the ultimate sacrifices while the rest of us squabble and puke on the rights they have fought for.

You may feel better about yourself proclaiming that you disagree with this bastardized church but the bottom line is you end up supporting the hate speech..

You know I love ya Lump, but you're wrong.

You really think it's a good idea to curb speech and squelch the press just to temporarily inconvenience the assholes that call themselves the WBC? Isn't that giving the scum a status and value they should never, ever be afforded?

There are better ways to fight assholes like WBC. Laying down our freedoms just to piss them off a little until they raise more cash from their psycho supporters is not the way to do it.

You don't want to go down that path. Especially when I didn't even offer my own opinion in this thread. All I said was their reasoning, it's not a left or right wing thing.

Though it seems your ignorance of accusing me to be Anti-Military is pathetic.

Bullshit... I just wonder what your point of view on the military is?

Obviously to some liberals...not all mind you....but some.....there is no difference.

Bullshit... I just wonder what your point of view on the military is?

Your question in itself is bullshit, what kind of point of view are you even wondering about for the military? If you're assuming I'm Anti-Military members, you're more of a moron than I thought.

That shit isn't going to fly when I run a PTSD Military awareness group that raises money for the Wounded Warrior Project, asshole.

You disgust me.

Forum List

Back