Left Behind

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
The Left Behind series is the best selling Christian fiction series of all time, passing (I believe) C.S. Lewis's children's series.

The first book, Left Behind, is a novel about the Rapture, which, according to Christian doctrine, is when Jesus takes all the Christians in the world to heaven. People all over the world disappear in an instant, and chaos ensues. The novel follows the lives of two men in particular. First is Rayford Steele, a 747 pilot on the way to London who finds that half his passengers have disappeared, then returns home to find that his wife and son are also part of the vanishings. Second is Cameron "Buck" Williams, who is a reporter for a major newspaper who is assigned to follow the rise of Nicolae Carpathia, whose ascension to power starts right after the vanishings. The following ten novels (the 12th and final is due out early in 2004) follow these two men and their struggles in the lasts days of Earth.

While these books were written with Christians in mind, if you are not a Christian, these novels will still be quite interesting. The authors are part Tom Clancy/Michael Critchon (sp?), part Billy Graham. While some of the plot twists are a little bit unbelieveable, it is still a good suspense series.

Overall for the series: 4 out of 5 stars.

Thanks jeff, I think I might like that read this one - Hey, my inlaws had given me 2 book long ago, told me to read the second one first then the first one, they were one about hell, the other heaven - to read the one on hell was what would have you appreciate one - I don't know where they are right now, but I am sure maybe you have heard of these 2????

I actually thought the titles were heaven and hell!!! :( I will find out for sure!:confused:

Originally posted by gop_jeff
The Left Behind series is the best selling Christian fiction series of all time, passing (I believe) C.S. Lewis's children's series.

The first book, Left Behind, is a novel about the Rapture, which, according to Christian doctrine, is when Jesus takes all the Christians in the world to heaven. People all over the world disappear in an instant, and chaos ensues. The novel follows the lives of two men in particular. First is Rayford Steele, a 747 pilot on the way to London who finds that half his passengers have disappeared, then returns home to find that his wife and son are also part of the vanishings. Second is Cameron "Buck" Williams, who is a reporter for a major newspaper who is assigned to follow the rise of Nicolae Carpathia, whose ascension to power starts right after the vanishings. The following ten novels (the 12th and final is due out early in 2004) follow these two men and their struggles in the lasts days of Earth.

While these books were written with Christians in mind, if you are not a Christian, these novels will still be quite interesting. The authors are part Tom Clancy/Michael Critchon (sp?), part Billy Graham. While some of the plot twists are a little bit unbelieveable, it is still a good suspense series.

Overall for the series: 4 out of 5 stars.
I read the first book and although I found it interesting, I just couldn't read any more. My mom has read them all and she loves them!

I have read all of them, and they are pretty good. I think I started reading them after about the 4th book or so was out, and have either borrowed them from friends, employers, and the library. (I've never bought any!)

The only real complaint I have is that he stretches them out so long, that you REALLY have to remember who did what or who is who among the minor characters. I read about 5 years ago, that he has written all the books already, and just putting them out once a year or so to keep the cash cow flow flowing. If they started waning in popularity, he would release the rest. I think the last one is due in April. Now he wants to start pre-quils to it, but the last book will be the last book I read on it.

Hey guys, long time no see.

I have read Paradise Lost, Eric, but I don't remember it very well, which is bad. I used to have a copy of it, but I seem to have lost it. (jejeje) Why do you ask?

Bry

Just wondering who read it, I probably should have started a new thread, but the topic of heaven and hell came up. :)

I read the last one of the LB series entitiled Glorious Appearing... just finished it last night. A good ending to the series, but I had mixed feelings about it.

Basically, Jesus returns to Earth and judges the Antichrist and the False Prophet - which is based in Scripture. The words that the authors have Jesus using don't always seem realistic, though... although to be fair, I don't know what I would have Jesus say if I were writing a book like this.

Anyway, the series as a whole is still a good one to read. I'm not sure I agree with all of LaHayes/Jenkins' interpretations of Scripture, as it concerns the End Times, but I think the books reflect their sincere beliefs in what will unfold.

Forum List

Back