LED lights that are good enough to replace incandescents

The first LED flashlight that I had gave off a weak blue light, it's only saving grace was that it was small, and the batteries lasted forever. The one I presently use at work is about 4 inches long, with a 3/4 inch body and about a 1 1/4 inch head. It is as bright or brighter than a car headlight, makes a nice clean white light, and the 3 v lithium batterys last about 3 hours.

The technology is changing even as we post.

So, if we stop posting will technology stagnate?

The Goodyear blimp uses over 7,000 such lights. They call it the LED zeppelin. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3CYOGFMe1o]YouTube - ‪Led Zeppelin : I Can't Quit You Baby - Live Royal Albert Hall 1970‬‏[/ame]

Interesting point here. So you 'survivalists' are all touting the great aspects of the present incandescents. Yet, if there is a major catastrophe that takes civilization a couple of decades to climb back up from, you are going to be out of light, while the people with the LEDs will still have usable lights.

Rocks,
excuse me if i missed it but, i'd like to find the lumens/watt ratio in there.....

Cree (where Obama was sounding like Jeffrey Immelt today) sets the pace on efficiency. Realistically, it's 150 Lumens/watt at the LEDs (not counting optics or power supply efficiencies.. But it's quickly going towards 180 or 200..

Old Rocks:

Happens that I'm involved in this right now. NO WAY -- you need liquid cooling (or an f'in fan) for a SINGLE bulb replacement at that wattage. See the heatsinks that someone posted. It's a wrong-headed marketing ploy. The heatsinks are not the problem. THe REAL problem is having a switching power supply in every dam bulb.

And YES -- I agree about the blue wavelengths. They are disturbing. It can all be warmer light but at less efficiency. It WILL happen. Everyone will be happy. But the leftists will STILL make energy RARE and EXPENSIVE instead of PLENTIFUL and CHEAP. And we'll have the govt nagging us about turning off the lights rather than our parents..

Last edited:
I thought LED lights were cool, so I bought one. It was supposed to be the equivlent of a 100 wat bulb

All it is good for is a night light.

But I still like the tech. And I think, given how fast the tech has moved over the last 5 years, that we might have something reasonable in three or four years. But I won't be an early adopter.

I thought LED lights were cool, so I bought one. It was supposed to be the equivlent of a 100 wat bulb

All it is good for is a night light.

But I still like the tech. And I think, given how fast the tech has moved over the last 5 years, that we might have something reasonable in three or four years. But I won't be an early adopter.

Yeah i was pissed when I turned the one I bought on, waste of money to buy them in their current state.

Interesting point here. So you 'survivalists' are all touting the great aspects of the present incandescents. Yet, if there is a major catastrophe that takes civilization a couple of decades to climb back up from, you are going to be out of light, while the people with the LEDs will still have usable lights.

Obviously you don't get it. In a free market society when someone is attempting to replace one product with another the replacement product has to be as good if not better than the old technology in functionality, not just savings, estimated or actual, money or energy.
In this case the lumens need to replicate or exceed that produced by the current (incandescent) technology for people to consider such items as viable replacements. If I wanted candle light I'd buy a box of candles, they're cheaper.
You can advocate saving the planet all day long but that alone won't sell the product to the vast majority. Make it work the way people want it to work and they'll sell like hot cakes.

The issue is not if LED are "good enough" to replace incandescents - it's who should decide: the government or the consumer.

All the Government has done is drive more job offshore and made a simple household item much more expensive.

Obviously you don't get it. In a free market society when someone is attempting to replace one product with another the replacement product has to be as good if not better than the old technology in functionality, not just savings, estimated or actual, money or energy.
In this case the lumens need to replicate or exceed that produced by the current (incandescent) technology for people to consider such items as viable replacements. If I wanted candle light I'd buy a box of candles, they're cheaper.
You can advocate saving the planet all day long but that alone won't sell the product to the vast majority. Make it work the way people want it to work and they'll sell like hot cakes.
Or you can just have the government mandate the purchase of the new technology.

No thank you tovaritch. :eusa_whistle:

No thank you tovaritch. :eusa_whistle:
In Soviet Amerika, light bulb choose you!

70px-Compact_fluorescent_transpa.png

My restaurant's dining room is lit by LED and CFL 50/50.
$950 savings over last May - $12,000 savings for the region
:D

There's a little restaurant down the road that used to be an elementary school. The guy turned the gymnasium into the dining room. He's got it lit with strings of white LED Christmas lights. It's pretty cool. :)

There's a little restaurant down the road that used to be an elementary school. The guy turned the gymnasium into the dining room. He's got it lit with strings of white LED Christmas lights. It's pretty cool. :)
Our LEDs are recessed spots ;) Positioned over tables and spaced in walking areas. CFLs hang over the tables.

The issue is not if LED are "good enough" to replace incandescents - it's who should decide: the government or the consumer.

All the Government has done is drive more job offshore and made a simple household item much more expensive.

and as a consumer I will not buy a 2nd LED light bulb anytime soon....they are really horrible at lighting up a room, way worse than the first gen CFL bulbs were.

Our LEDs are recessed spots ;) Positioned over tables and spaced in walking areas. CFLs hang over the tables.

they are PERFECTLY suited for spots, like your using them, but thats about it.

Im sure they will make these things better and when they do im sure i'll buy some because I know that over time they will cost me less $$$ and im frugal like that.

What I'd like to do is replace my halogens with LEDs but again there's the lumin issue, I need strong light where the halogens are, night light brightness won't cut it.
I have started to see prices dropping quite a bit now on the LEDs.

What I'd like to do is replace my halogens with LEDs but again there's the lumin issue, I need strong light where the halogens are, night light brightness won't cut it.
I have started to see prices dropping quite a bit now on the LEDs.

I just cant wait for them to have good light, i'll pay 40 bucks a bulb for the energy savings and lifespan alone if they can just get the lighting better.

This guy built gazebos in the gym. It's pretty cool.

Forum List

Back