LED lights that are good enough to replace incandescents

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Switch Shows Off Liquid-Cooled LED Bulb Cleantech News and Analysis

Switch’s first bulbs — it launched a 100-watt incandescent equivalent at Lightfair, and also has developed 40-watt, 65-watt, 75-watt equivalents — are supposed to go on sale later this year. An important thing to note about the Switch bulbs is that they are also supposed to retail for under $20 for the 40-watt, and will likely be far less expensive than the current LED bulbs on the market that can cost as high as $40 to $50 per bulb.

That price point gives the Switch LED bulb a lot quicker pay off in energy savings to the buyer. Switch says its bulbs use 85 less energy than incandescent bulbs and the return on investment is about a year. This could be a game-changer in the industry — if consumers actually respond and start buying these when they come out.

Rocks,
excuse me if i missed it but, i'd like to find the lumens/watt ratio in there.....

Cooled with "secret sauce". Watch out, McDonald's.
They are neat looking.
These type of bulbs will untimately lead to the demise of flourescents.

Whatever the coolant, you can bet it's toxic and if you break one, you'll have to call the men in the haz-mat suites.

Cooled with "secret sauce". Watch out, McDonald's.
They are neat looking.
These type of bulbs will untimately lead to the demise of flourescents.

Whatever the coolant, you can bet it's toxic and if you break one, you'll have to call the men in the haz-mat suites.

yeah prolly like one is really supposed to do when a fluid leaks from your cat.
Antifreeze? Motor oil? Brake fluid? Freon? Transmission fluid?
How many million gallons of auto fluids leak out each year?

check out the heat sinks>
directional_11.jpg

recessed.jpg

Switch’s first bulbs — it launched a 100-watt incandescent equivalent at Lightfair, and also has developed 40-watt, 65-watt, 75-watt equivalents — are supposed to go on sale later this year. An important thing to note about the Switch bulbs is that they are also supposed to retail for under $20 for the 40-watt, and will likely be far less expensive than the current LED bulbs on the market that can cost as high as $40 to $50 per bulb.

That price point gives the Switch LED bulb a lot quicker pay off in energy savings to the buyer. Switch says its bulbs use 85 less energy than incandescent bulbs and the return on investment is about a year. This could be a game-changer in the industry — if consumers actually respond and start buying these when they come out.

At last count I had 35 bulbs in my house. At 50 bucks a bulb I would have to pay$1750 to replace them all. My current electric bill is under 100 a month so you're asking me to shell out more than I pay in a year to replace all my bulbs. I'm already really good about running my lights. I only light the room I'm in and I usually use dimmed settings unless I'm reading and then I only use one reading lamp on high.

BTW Unless you're running all the lights in your house for 8 hours a day, lighting is not what what accounts for the bulk of an electric bill. You'd be better off upgrading your fridge, range,water heater, washer, dryer and Ac units.

Last edited:

At last count I had 35 bulbs in my house. At 50 bucks a bulb I would have to pay$1750 to replace them all. My current electric bill is under 100 a month so you're asking me to shell out more than I pay in a year to replace all my bulbs. I'm already really good about running my lights. I only light the room I'm in and I usually use dimmed settings unless I'm reading and then I only use one reading lamp on high.

BTW Unless you're running all the lights in your house for 8 hours a day, lighting is not what what accounts for the bulk of an electric bill. You'd be better off upgrading your fridge, range,water heater, washer, dryer and Ac units.

Do you remember the first hand-held calculator? It would add, subtract, multiply and divide. It weighed almost 8 oz and it cost $150.

Now they weigh & cost next to nothing if that's all you need it to do, and if you are willing to drop $50 you can get one that does everything but the dishes.

Purchasing new technology not 'cause its worth it but 'cause it's :cool: is one of the functions of the wealthy in our style of market economy. The rest of us need patience and the political flexibility to refrain from allowing the marketers of the current technology to flex their political muscle in an attempt to conserve the status quo by protecting the market of the old technology by use of bullshit tax breaks and/or undue regulation.

:eusa_think: Can you imagine how the streets would smell if the Horse and Buggy Industry lobbies had been as politically well-heeled and able to protect their status quo like the oil and auto lobbies of today can?

Although $20 is still out of MY league for bulbs, I for one am thrilled at the reduction from $50 to $20 with this step and looking forward to the next. I'm also thrilled that our economy supports individuals and industries that are singing "Hallelujah" at the new $20 price. Their support will help the new technology to compete and strive for a price point that WILL get my attention.

Do you remember the first hand-held calculator? It would add, subtract, multiply and divide. It weighed almost 8 oz and it cost $150.

Now they weigh & cost next to nothing if that's all you need it to do, and if you are willing to drop $50 you can get one that does everything but the dishes.

Purchasing new technology not 'cause its worth it but 'cause it's :cool: is one of the functions of the wealthy in our style of market economy. The rest of us need patience and the political flexibility to refrain from allowing the marketers of the current technology to flex their political muscle in an attempt to conserve the status quo by protecting the market of the old technology by use of bullshit tax breaks and/or undue regulation.

:eusa_think: Can you imagine how the streets would smell if the Horse and Buggy Industry lobbies had been as politically well-heeled and able to protect their status quo like the oil and auto lobbies of today can?

Although $20 is still out of MY league for bulbs, I for one am thrilled at the reduction from $50 to $20 with this step and looking forward to the next. I'm also thrilled that our economy supports individuals and industries that are singing "Hallelujah" at the new $20 price. Their support will help the new technology to compete and strive for a price point that WILL get my attention.

I paid $80 for my first calculator back in high school (early 70's). I had a part time job and just had to have one. My physics teacher finally told me it wasn't necessary to carry my answers to the 12th decimal LOL.
But yeah- that's all it did - 4 basic functions.

Solid state technology is one that can have breakthroughs so quickly that prices go down in orders of magnitude. As with the hand held calculators. Think of the cost of the original cell phones and their capability. And what you can get for $400 today.

Or, much more recently, the flat screen tv's. The first one I saw was only 40" and cost something like $10,000. Fry's just had a 60" LED on sale for $1200.

And, if you have a place in the home, like the kitchen or living room, where the light is on most of the time it is dark, the $20 price would represent a savings, for most of the LEDs last for 50,000 hrs, and operate at a magnitude of increased efficiencies compared to incandescents.

The light from my 2 LED bulbs totally sucks, its worse than CFL bulb light.

It wont replace incandescents until they make the light they give off better.

The first LED flashlight that I had gave off a weak blue light, it's only saving grace was that it was small, and the batteries lasted forever. The one I presently use at work is about 4 inches long, with a 3/4 inch body and about a 1 1/4 inch head. It is as bright or brighter than a car headlight, makes a nice clean white light, and the 3 v lithium batterys last about 3 hours.

The technology is changing even as we post.

The first LED flashlight that I had gave off a weak blue light, it's only saving grace was that it was small, and the batteries lasted forever. The one I presently use at work is about 4 inches long, with a 3/4 inch body and about a 1 1/4 inch head. It is as bright or brighter than a car headlight, makes a nice clean white light, and the 3 v lithium batterys last about 3 hours.

So, if we stop posting will technology stagnate?

The Goodyear blimp uses over 7,000 such lights. They call it the LED zeppelin. :D

It says nothing about the quality of light. So far i have found NOTHING that has the warmth of light from a standard incandescent light bulb.

The light these energy efficient things produce is a blue harsh light that i find distasteful. I don't care what the price is the light itself has to pass muster.

I still have my blue light "shake it up" flashlight with the LED bulb.

The light on the LEDs i just got is better than that but its still not good enough to replace incandescent or CFL bulbs (some of which have better light now but still haven't found ones as good as incandescent light)

Forum List

Back