LED Christmas Tree Lights and LED lights in general

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Did you know that Christmas lights using LEDs are now available? They're expensive and are supposed to last forever, and use very little electricity.

I also see that LED lights are available for other uses (e.g. car signal lights and lighting in general)

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I have LED snowflake lights under the gold drape for my nativity just to give the area a tiny bit of light at night... They're cool as hell.. (with a better picture taker).. They were $25 for 35 when they first came out, which is what I paid.. They might be a tiny bit cheaper now, but not much...

nativ.jpg

Shattered said:
I have LED snowflake lights under the gold drape for my nativity just to give the area a tiny bit of light at night... They're cool as hell.. (with a better picture taker).. They were $25 for 35 when they first came out, which is what I paid.. They might be a tiny bit cheaper now, but not much...

nativ.jpg

Thanks!!! BTW... are all those presents for me?!?!?!? :):):):):):)

KarlMarx said:
awww... you're such a sweetie! Now I feel bad that I only got you shoelaces...

LMAO!!!! Well, so long as they have little Eeyore's on them, all is well.

Shattered said:
LMAO!!!! Well, so long as they have little Eeyore's on them, all is well.
Oh, I LOVE him!!!! He's a lot like me, ya know....

eeyore1.jpg

From one Eeyore to another... :)

KarlMarx said:
Did you know that Christmas lights using LEDs are now available? They're expensive and are supposed to last forever, and use very little electricity.

I also see that LED lights are available for other uses (e.g. car signal lights and lighting in general)

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Maybe I'm telling you something you already know, but LED stands for "light emitting diode". Basically, LEDs are just tiny light bulbs that fit easily into an electrical circuit. But unlike ordinary incandescent bulbs, they don't have a filament that will burn out, and they don't get especially hot. They are illuminated solely by the movement of electrons in a semiconductor material, and they last just as long as a standard transistor.

Very nice Shattered.

Shattered said:

nativ.jpg

Pale Rider said:
Maybe I'm telling you something you already know, but LED stands for "light emitting diode". Basically, LEDs are just tiny light bulbs that fit easily into an electrical circuit. But unlike ordinary incandescent bulbs, they don't have a filament that will burn out, and they don't get especially hot. They are illuminated solely by the movement of electrons in a semiconductor material, and they last just as long as a standard transistor.
Thanks for the info.... I got interested in them the plant I work at decided to change all the "Exit" signs over from using lightbulbs to LEDs. Apparently, they saved money on the electricity because LEDs use about 20% or less electricity but give off the same amount of light. Plus, they have a very long life (over 100,000 hours --- or about 11 years).

I also noticed that many traffic signals are being converted over here in my hometown. The reasons are the same (cost and low maintenance). I once read that major cities that have converted over are realizing a cost savings of millions of dollars in the electric bills.

Now, trucks and cars are using them in their signal lights, too....

My guess is that the regular light bulb's days are numbered. I'll guess within 10 years or so, the technology will become cheap enough to make it worth converting over...

Said1 said:
I don't know if this affects you guys, but a certain model has been recalled up here due to fires. The town Hall tree in Halifax had to take their lights down. :

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/story/mb_xmas-lights-20051216.html
thanks for the info.... that is the first time I've ever heard of LEDs causing fires....

BTW... the numbers in clock radios are LEDs... (the ones that have the red ones that you can read in the dark, they are sometimes called "seven segment displays")....

I bought a Lloyd's clock radio with red LED seven segment displays in March of 1982 and it is still fully operational after almost 24 years of constant use and without any maintenance whatsoever.

KarlMarx said:
thanks for the info.... that is the first time I've ever heard of LEDs causing fires....

BTW... the numbers in clock radios are LEDs... (the ones that have the red ones that you can read in the dark, they are sometimes called "seven segment displays")....

I bought a Lloyd's clock radio with red LED seven segment displays in March of 1982 and it is still fully operational after almost 24 years of constant use and without any maintenance whatsoever.

I"ve had the same alarm clock for about 15 yrs too, not sure what the lights are made of, probably same as yours? :confused:

Pale Rider said:
I'd attribute this to substandard contruction. Maybe it's not the LED, but the wiring that gets hot. I'd also venture a guess that they're made in "China".

Yep. Wiring and manufacturer right on the money.

Forum List

Back