Lebanon Bombing Wounds French UNIFIL Peacekeepers

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA

BEIRUT — A roadside bomb struck a vehicle carrying United Nations peacekeepers in southern Lebanon on Friday, wounding five French soldiers and a Lebanese bystander, officials said.

This was the third bombing this year targeting the international force known as UNIFIL, which is deployed to keep the peace along Lebanon's southern border with Israel. No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The explosion comes amid fears that violence in neighboring Syria might spread into the tiny Mediterranean nation, which was dominated by Damascus for three decades until Syrian troops withdrew in 2005.

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe called on Lebanese authorities to bring those responsible to justice and to guarantee the security of the peacekeepers.

"France, determined to carry out its commitment within (UNIFIL), will not let itself be intimidated by these despicable acts," Juppe said in a statement.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the attack and called it "deeply disturbing."

The militant Hezbollah group, which enjoys wide support in southern Lebanon, also condemned the bombing. It said in a statement that such acts of violence "target Lebanon's security and the stability of its south in particular."

The bomb exploded in the Bourj al-Shamali area, near the port city of Tyre, said a Lebanese security official who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations. The Lebanese Red Cross said that a civilian was also wounded.

France said the wounded soldiers were evacuated for medical treatment.

U.N. peacekeepers have been deployed in southern Lebanon since 1978 to monitor the border with Israel. The force was boosted to almost 12,000 troops after Israel and Hezbollah fought a war in 2006.

Under the U.N. resolution that ended the fighting, the mission is monitoring a zone south of the Litani River where Hezbollah is banned from keeping weapons.

The cure for Lebanon's ills is a lot more Christ and a lot less Muhammad

That's too bad. I was there in '83 when the barracks incident occurred. Not good. The area is very unstable still. Used to be the "Riviera of the Mediterranean" back in the 70s.

That's too bad. I was there in '83 when the barracks incident occurred. Not good. The area is very unstable still. Used to be the "Riviera of the Mediterranean" back in the 70s.

The Christian Lebanese don't like to even think of themselves as Arabs. They view themselves as closer to Europeans.

Lebanon was much better when it was Phoenicia, where the alphabet was invented, before the scourge of islime

The Lebanese don't like to even think of themselves as Arabs. They view themselves as closer to Europeans.

Lebanon was much better when it was Phoenicia, where the alphabet was invented, before the scourge of islime

I know - my wife's half Lebanese!!! She still has relatives in Beirut. Her Dad sends them $$$ every Christmas. They are Catholics - most of Lebanon was Christian (as I am sure you know) until "You Know Who" moved in and started spreading their "Peaceful Religion."

The Lebanese don't like to even think of themselves as Arabs. They view themselves as closer to Europeans.

I know - my wife's half Lebanese!!! She still has relatives in Beirut. Her Dad sends them $$$ every Christmas. They are Catholics - most of Lebanon was Christian (as I am sure you know) until "You Know Who" moved in and started spreading their "Peaceful Religion."

My favorite olive oil is from Lebanon. The Maronite Christians had wanted to make peace with Israel a long time ago but the muslimes interfered and continue to do so in the name of the "religion of peace" allahu akbar.

My favorite olive oil is from Lebanon. The Maronite Christians had wanted to make peace with Israel a long time ago but the muslimes interfered and continue to do so in the name of the "religion of peace" allahu akbar.

Wasn't it the influx of Palestinian refugees that ignited the civil war in Lebanon and turned it into a shit hole?

Wasn't it the influx of Palestinian refugees that ignited the civil war in Lebanon and turned it into a shit hole?

The Lebanese know how to take care of the Palesteenians, pretty much by marginalizing them so they can't further mess up the country. Same with the Jordanians.

I absolutely LOVE Lebanese food.

The Lebanese know how to take care of the Palesteenians, pretty much by marginalizing them so they can't further mess up the country. Same with the Jordanians.

We should let them go home. That would solve a lot of problems.

Forum List

Back