Leaving on a Jet Plane................

I haven't flown since 2002.

Advice?

(I'm flying to Florida from Indiana in late July)

I know I can go to an Airline Website, but wondered how my fellow travelers here pack and travel on a plane to a sunny location for a week.

Thanks!

Advice? Drive....
Seriously, if you haven't flown in 9 years - you're gonna notice some inconvenient changes. No food on the plane - unless you buy it, and it sucks. So bring snacks, something to read, water, etc. You'll also notice seats are a lot closer together and those idiots at TSA are indeed idiots. Flight attendants continue to get uglier too.

You are 100% correct on every point, Fuck you Al Qaeda!

If you have to fly, make a practice run as far as you can.

Last time I flew I had a hell of a time learning where to go, and the people that work there, to help you, are of little help b/c you have to run a gammit just to get to them.

This is good advice, especially if you leaving from a big airport like Dallas or Atlanta, it takes 1 hour to manuever through the Atlanta airport depending on where you need to go.

I forgot about that part. No food on the plane unless you buy it. And some airlines charge you for basic beverages.

Last time I flew I had a hell of a time learning where to go, and the people that work there, to help you, are of little help b/c you have to run a gammit just to get to them.

This is good advice, especially if you leaving from a big airport like Dallas or Atlanta, it takes 1 hour to manuever through the Atlanta airport depending on where you need to go.

That's not a problem if you fly with Mr. Foxfyre. I'm one who likes to get to the airport just in time to step on the plane. He is nervous if we arrive less than three hours before departure. There's time to explore, map, and photograph the entire airport.

On many airlines you can print out your boarding pass at home within 24 hours of your flight. I do that.

Also, many airlines not only make you pay for check in baggage but carry on baggage as well. Check with your airlines.

You can bring virtually no liquids through security, except I believe in 3 ounce bottles.

And even that liquid has to be segregated and enclosed in a clear plastic bag to be examined by security. So be sure to pack small quantities of liquid or gels in a plastic baggie if they will be in your carry on luggage. I once had a three-inch pair of cuticle scissors confiscated--I was using them to cut the yarn I was crocheting. I was allowed to carry on two knitting needles and crochet hook, but not those cuticle scissors. :)

That's not a problem if you fly with Mr. Foxfyre. I'm one who likes to get to the airport just in time to step on the plane. He is nervous if we arrive less than three hours before departure. There's time to explore, map, and photograph the entire airport.

I like to get there early too, I missed a flight in California even though I was an hour and 45 minutes early, they wanted everyone there 2 and a half hours early.

Advice?

I know I can go to an Airline Website, but wondered how my fellow travelers here pack and travel on a plane to a sunny location for a week.

Thanks!

if you can bring everything you need in a carry on bag, you're better off. remember, no liquids or lotions in containers of more than 3 1/3 oz. each. put all liquids and lotions that you're taking carry on in a plastic quart sized baggie.

if you can, keep water in a little spray bottle (again, less than 3 1/2 oz.) to spray your face during the flight. it keeps your skin from getting dry.

have a bloody mary as soon as they start drink service. :D

Advice?

Thanks!

if you can bring everything you need in a carry on bag, you're better off. remember, no liquids or lotions in containers of more than 3 1/3 oz. each. put all liquids and lotions that you're taking carry on in a plastic quart sized baggie.

if you can, keep water in a little spray bottle (again, less than 3 1/2 oz.) to spray your face during the flight. it keeps your skin from getting dry.

Better yet, have three bloody mary's before getting on the plane!

Advice?

Thanks!

Better yet, have three bloody mary's before getting on the plane!

i'd never make the flight if i did that. lol.

Advice?

Thanks!

If you are trying to beat the weight restriction on baggage. Check the light bag...and carry on the heavy one. There is NO weight restriction on a conforming carry on bag.

Florida in july..you will not need to much in the way of clothes. :lol: A few shorts, tops and a swimsuit will do you.

Shruggs.....once again, this post is useless without pics. :doubt:

I've flown at least 3 dozen times since 2002.

My advice?

Go by bus.

asdpijaspdoasjdp.

Planes and airports are basically Hell. With a capital H. I literally believe that if Hell is a real place, it is like a giant airport from which you never leave except to take 36-hour flights and return to the same massive airport. Godless places, they are!

Hell?

Airports and dmv's. They are pretty close.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3JWFklREK8]YouTube - ‪Armageddon Leaving on a jet plane‬‏[/ame]

Wear a bikini, like this guy:

usairwayspantypassenger.jpg

Make sure you print your boarding pass EXACTLY 24 hours before your flight so you can get in the "A" group and not have to sit next to this guy.

( that's how it works when flying SouthWest anyway )

Advice?

Thanks!

Advice? Drive....
Seriously, if you haven't flown in 9 years - you're gonna notice some inconvenient changes. No food on the plane - unless you buy it, and it sucks. So bring snacks, something to read, water, etc. You'll also notice seats are a lot closer together and those idiots at TSA are indeed idiots. Flight attendants continue to get uglier too.

Only, you cannot bring any liquid, so scratch the water. And I believe you are also screwed on snacks unless purchased on property. It's a racket, as is the 'War On Terror'.

My strong advice to anyone flying to a friend or relatives: mail your luggage a week ahead of time in cardboard boxes. It will get there safely and timely, each bag will cost a hell of a lot less than $25, you get to actually enjoy your flight, unencumbered, and it's a big F.U. to the airlines.

You can buy and take water or any form of snacks on the plane so long as you have some way to secure it (in your carry on satchel or something). It does have to be purchased from vendors after you clear security.

Mr. Foxfyre just advised to be sure to take a parachute and extra oxygen. (I think he's thinking Army though.)

You can buy and take water or any form of snacks on the plane so long as you have some way to secure it (in your carry on satchel or something). It does have to be purchased from vendors after you clear security.

Mr. Foxfyre just advised to be sure to take a parachute and extra oxygen. (I think he's thinking Army though.)
You can't carry a bottle of water through security, even if it is in your bag. Food is allowed, though.

So whatever you want to drink has to be purchased after security unless you fill your three little 3 oz bottles with drinking water.

You can't carry a bottle of water through security, even if it is in your bag. Food is allowed, though.

So whatever you want to drink has to be purchased after security unless you fill your three little 3 oz bottles with drinking water.

Right which is what I said. But even that is silly since presumably you could take a supply of anything in lots of those three inch bottles, carry one big empty bottle which would be perfectly legal, and then combine it all after you clear security.

I HATE that the terrorists have won in forcing us all to endure stupid and take a great deal of pleasure out of the simple action of traveling from Point A to Point B.

Forum List

Back