Leave the French Alone

Ok, this post crosses several threads. I think the French and several other Euro sites are open border problems. As a history major I truly wish to visit France, after England, sometime in the future. France was with us, albeit because they hated England more than the upstarts, but back us they did.

France is for itself, but what nation state isn't? I'll admit I'm for the boycotts, private, of French goods, yet will admit that our ties go back for hundreds of years.

I like the french themselves. The french gov't and I don't always see eye to eye, but most french folk I've met have been very nice. What scares me about the current 'hate the french' phenomena is the rapidity with which it arose and the vehemence with which it is pronounced. 200 years of alliance shattered (not irreparably) overnight. Add that to the lynch mob feeling that surrounds it and it ain't pretty. Luckily I think it will blow over similar to the way the christian boycott of disney for having naughty turrets in aladin did. We hated the french in the eighties and everyone will always hate mimes, but we generally tend to fall back into friendship as people of the world. I also don't think france's actions are really an insult to us as a nation. The most they can be guilty of is being wrong, if they disagreed it was their moral duty (not to anthropomorphize government too much heh...) to say so; just as it is one's duty to voice your own disagreements with your own gov't. On a tangent, that's another very scary aspect of recent rhetoric, that one can be called a traitor for disagreeing with policy. Americans have become very uncivil towards each other. In earlier days being called a traitor would be cause for a duel such was the insult to one's honor. Not that I recommend a return to dueling, but it might deter some from tossing around a serious insult in so casual a manner.

/ramble off

Ike, I don't really think the french are scared. They're just selfish, pretentious, politically misguided and hypocritical.

Originally posted by 5.10 leader
Historical events should not be used to support present day situations.

Why not? Are not present day situations a direct result of historical events? Seems perfectly pertinent to discuss causal relationships between the past and the present.

Originally posted by Ike
Does the United States owe France for its help during the battle for Independence against Great Britain? France helped the United States a great deal.

If so, I'd say helping to beat back the Kaiser's army, that was shelling Paris, in WW1, liberating France from the Nazi's in WW2, and providing a bulwark against potential Communist expansion into western Europe during the Cold War makes us at the very least even.

Do they owe us anything?

No, but a little more respect would be nice.

If the French demanded you go to war with Italy, because they helped you against the English, would you agree?

If they had a good reason besides their assistance in the American Revolution, I don't see why not.

There were three routes the French could have taken: (1) Helping us push the cause for war, (2) abstaining to involve themselves at all, or (3) agressively fighting against our cause. I personally never wanted their help; their silence would have been fine.

If France "owes" us for liberating them in WW2, we owe them for helping us win the Revolutionary War, so I guess they cancel eachother out and neither owe eachother anything

Originally posted by CrazyLiberal
If France "owes" us for liberating them in WW2, we owe them for helping us win the Revolutionary War, so I guess they cancel eachother out and neither owe eachother anything

Fine. So the alliance is off. This is the worst mistake the french have ever made.

You do know they were getting kickbacks from Saddam's Oil For Food program, right? Does that factor into your unique thought process?

You may be right. Maybe the French werent afraid of Saddam. All we do know is they were making money off him and the suffering of the Iraqis.

Personally though i couldnt care less about the French.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
You may be right. Maybe the French werent afraid of Saddam. All we do know is they were making money off him and the suffering of the Iraqis.

Personally though i couldnt care less about the French.

Even bigger winners off the suffering of Iragi people has been America.

Mr Marbles, why are you going after old threads? Nothing new to offer?

You're adding nothing to the conversation. Defend them if you will.

Originally posted by Kathianne
You're adding nothing to the conversation. Defend them if you will.

It only seems pointless too. The conversation bends and turns, ultimatly ending up in insults.

Fance is an independant nation that has it's own hopes, dreams, and goals. Invading Iraq was not one of them. To turn on them with such hate because they followed their own will is childish. I make fun of the French as much as the next guy (Isaac Brock). But I draw the line at actual sentimental hate.

I try not to insult people, I mean I really TRY. I posted something here today about anti-semitism, why don't you work off of that. I'm not into 'French bashing' in the sense of making jokes of their ability to run and wave white flags.

However I am concerned about their dealings with Saddam post Desert Storm, their collaboration with nuclear program, their duplicitousness in the UN.....

I gotta admit that I foolishly was surprised that France has taken the stance that it has re: Iraq. Now that I have been educated as to the reasons, I still find thier reasons unacceptable however it is thier right to lower themselves to this level if they so desire. They United States will still defend the French if they are attacked and we would be the first they would ask for help. Is NATO now a waste? Maybe.

Couldn't have put it better had I written it myself.

I've visited France a half a dozen times in the last decade and enjoyed every minute of the trips. I even like Parisian waiters. I am honored to have several French friends, living in this country, as friends. I was appalled to hear the stories of crude jokes and insulting language at their expense.

Personally I believe the French acted properly, refusing to condone or participate in a senseless war, a bad foreign policy and mischievous empire building. They should be praised for having more common sense than our current administration.

Forum List

Back