Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments

OK. The environmental conditions of my ancestors selected for such things as conservation of heat, long term planning and vitamin D production. hence we tend to be more rotund, with bigger brains capable of more complex problem solving and pale skin to make the best use of the available sunlight.

the environmental conditions of african ancestors selected for such things as heat dissappation, protection from UV radiation and parasite defense. leading to leaner, narrower bodies and heads, dark skin and sickle cell trait.

of course there are many, many other adaptions. I would not do as well in africa, africans would not do as well in europe.

:lol: Almost right. ;) That little bit about bigger brains blah blah blah...

Your study is about harsh environments is great, so apply it. How about we break this down into base level arguments. And for the purposes of "evolution" lets talk caveman.

Are you saying the environment is not harsh in aferica?
Are you saying the aferican environment is soft?

that is your argument? both are harsh, so what's the big deal? the big deal is that they are both harsh in different ways. cold climates necessitate more planning for food and shelter, warm climates don't.

Both were harsh therefore BOTH work with your argument of "Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments" Level field.

ahhhh... here we go with denying reality again. do you honestly believe that living in a climate with cold and hungry winters selects for the same attributes as living in a dangerous but warm climate year round? really? come on now!

There are different dangers present in those different climates, and divergent skill sets required to live in them. You're ignoring the fact that you've got generations of handed down knowledge in dealing with one, but not the other. It is a perfectly logical counterpoint to show you where you ignore that advantage / disadvantage.

The racial inferiority theory is basically a more explicitly prejudiced version of the “cultural underclass” theory.
Statistics show that three to one, white Americans favor the theory of lower ability over discrimination concerning the status of poor black and Hispanic people. The history of racial inferiority theory goes back in time, back and forth between groups and nations, and spans the globe. It remains a popular theory in justifying colonialism abroad, and to explain away the economic disparity between classes and races in the US. It is much easier for some white people to believe that “blacks are poor because they are not smart, and they are not smart because they are black rather than try to understand that there are inequities that they benefit from at the expense of others. There is no reliable measurement of intelligence, and where differences in IQ exist, there are no natural causes that cannot be changed by the improvement of socioeconomic and environmental conditions, and in no way explains the 50% lower income of black and Hispanic people on average compared to white people.
The prevalence of racial inferiority theory, and the idea that we know for certain what race is, has clear consequences for government policy:
Geneticists believe anthropologists know what a race is, ethnologists assume their racial classifications are backed up by genetics, and politicians believe that their prejudices have the sanction of both genetics and anthropology.
Bradley R. Schiller, The Economics of Poverty and Discrimination Tenth Ed. Pearson Prentice Hall, NJ, US, 2008, 163-169
I find this sad. I also wonder, do people believe that because they are basically stupid? :eusa_eh:

People believe this ALL sorts of tripe because it makes us feel better to feel superior to others.

The racial inferiority theory is basically a more explicitly prejudiced version of the “cultural underclass” theory.
Statistics show that three to one, white Americans favor the theory of lower ability over discrimination concerning the status of poor black and Hispanic people. The history of racial inferiority theory goes back in time, back and forth between groups and nations, and spans the globe. It remains a popular theory in justifying colonialism abroad, and to explain away the economic disparity between classes and races in the US. It is much easier for some white people to believe that “blacks are poor because they are not smart, and they are not smart because they are black rather than try to understand that there are inequities that they benefit from at the expense of others. There is no reliable measurement of intelligence, and where differences in IQ exist, there are no natural causes that cannot be changed by the improvement of socioeconomic and environmental conditions, and in no way explains the 50% lower income of black and Hispanic people on average compared to white people.
The prevalence of racial inferiority theory, and the idea that we know for certain what race is, has clear consequences for government policy:
Bradley R. Schiller, The Economics of Poverty and Discrimination Tenth Ed. Pearson Prentice Hall, NJ, US, 2008, 163-169
I find this sad. I also wonder, do people believe that because they are basically stupid? :eusa_eh:

People believe this ALL sorts of tripe because it makes us feel better to feel superior to others.

That and because it makes us feel better about raping, stealing, and skull fucking other people out of their resources. CLEARLY they can't manage on their own, so we'll have to manage for them. For a small fee of course, and generations of servitude.

Yes, but it only starts and ends at race with racists. If you peruse the other areas of this message board, you will see republicans think they're superior to democrats, macs superior to PCs, and on and on (and vice versa). It's human nature to feel superior but I think when you're not superior at anything else, you can always fall back on race. IanC, Tank, and WJ are the three amigos of racists.

Yes, but it only starts and ends at race with racists. If you peruse the other areas of this message board, you will see republicans think they're superior to democrats, macs superior to PCs, and on and on (and vice versa). It's human nature to feel superior but I think when you're not superior at anything else, you can always fall back on race. IanC, Tank, and WJ are the three amigos of racists.

Not for nothing, Macs are superior to PCs. I pay NOTHING for internet protection.

Not for nothing, Macs are superior to PCs. I pay NOTHING for internet protection.

:lol: I'm a PC and I don't even have internet protection.

Good luck with that. Who knows, maybe they've improved. I only know I got sick of paying for Norton or Macafee every year and converted. I love my Mac, and will not go back.

Good luck with that. Who knows, maybe they've improved. I only know I got sick of paying for Norton or Macafee every year and converted. I love my Mac, and will not go back.

Nope, it didn't get any better. It's the user that creates the problems and not the machine. I do have a firewall through my router but that's it since I've gotten Windows 7.

yes, people do believe all sorts of tripe to feel superior. perhaps superior is not the right word. maybe it is more like people will believe in nonsense and fairytales to fit into the group that they feel is good and righteous. many people believe in religion even though they know, deep inside, that it doesn't really make sense but they want to be part of a group that has decent people as members. I can't help but think that equalitarians must think the same way. they suspend logic and mouth the platitudes so that they can be a paid up member of the goodguys, not those evil racists.

I myself have chosen to support Christianity because I admire many of the people and many of the morals of the Bible, even though I have always been an atheist. I like being around good people. but I don't believe their fairytales, and I don't have to, I just have to be a good person myself.

Equalitarianism is also riddled with fairytales. I suppose to be a 'true believer' you have to deny the facts about race and behaviour and intelligence, but to be a good person all you need to do is aspire to the positive aspects of treating everyone fairly. I dont hate anyone because of their race, or class, or intelligence/education. I also believe in 'to each by need, from each by ability'. I believe in welfare, affirmative action, abortion, green conservation, and multiculturalism (although I have modifications that I think would make them better).

Just as science has stripped away the fairytales of Christianity, so will science strip away the fairytales of equalitarianism (it has already, just not to the 99.9% proof that many of you demand). the world will not come to an end, the goodness of Jesus' teachings did not disappear and neither will the fairness of giving every man a chance to be what he will be. but we cannot let the lie of 'inequality of outcomes=evil of racism' rot away humanitiy's quest for progress. its not the one lie you believe to be part of a great cause, its all the other lies you must constantly make to support the first one.

Statistics show that three to one, white Americans favor the theory of lower ability over discrimination concerning the status of poor black and Hispanic people. The history of racial inferiority theory goes back in time, back and forth between groups and nations, and spans the globe. It remains a popular theory in justifying colonialism abroad, and to explain away the economic disparity between classes and races in the US. It is much easier for some white people to believe that “blacks are poor because they are not smart, and they are not smart because they are black,” rather than try to understand that there are inequities that they benefit from at the expense of others. There is no reliable measurement of intelligence, and where differences in IQ exist, there are no natural causes that cannot be changed by the improvement of socioeconomic and environmental conditions, and in no way explains the 50% lower income of black and Hispanic people on average compared to white people.
Geneticists believe anthropologists know what a race is, ethnologists assume their racial classifications are backed up by genetics, and politicians believe that their prejudices have the sanction of both genetics and anthropology.

also from Schiller-
The reality of our poverty population is constant churn. Some people fall into poverty every year, and just about as many escape its clutches. The popular notion of a "poverty trap" is greatly exaggerated. The flows in and out of poverty are far more impressive than the relatively small subgroup of individuals who stay in poverty for many years. Researchers have observed that three out of five families that fall into poverty in any one year are out of poverty the following year -- making poverty a highly transient state.

Even more impressive statistics were collected over a longer period. A University of Michigan study discovered that one out of three U.S. households experienced poverty in at least one year of a 13-year stretch. But only one out of 20 families was poor in at least 10 years, and only one out of 60 stayed poor in all 13 years. Hence, the permanent poverty rate is less than 2 percent, even though the annual poverty rate is closer to 13 percent.

obviously poverty is a choice for most people. or rather, a consequence of poor choices.

Barb- your post is full of liberal fairtales. no races? easily seen by eye, or determined by genetics (albeit with fuzzy borders) yet you deny. you can argue over the importance of racial groups but not the existence of them.

It is much easier for some white people to believe that “blacks are poor because they are not smart, and they are not smart because they are black,” rather than try to understand that there are inequities that they benefit from at the expense of others.
smart people do better than dull people, no matter what their race is. inequities at the expense of other? what is being taken away from blacks, nothing. what is being given to blacks, plenty.

Forum List

Back