Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by IanC, Jul 5, 2010.

1. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments: a common garden approach ? Proceedings B

Whenever I point out that the different races have different average cognitive skills I get called racist (true, depending on the definition of racist) and ignorant. I could care less about being called racist because the term is so overused and meaningless nowadays but I hate being called ignorant because it is obviously untrue. It is the people who deny the measureable differences and ignore the vast interlocking mountain of evidence who are ignorant, usually on purpose. I can understand those who score in the triple digits (old scale) on the SATs not being able to follow logic because that is what the tests measure to a large extent. But why do smart people suddenly get brain cramps when the topic is human differences? I can even understand those who just want to avoid politically incorrect subjects but why do so many smart people mouth platitudes and excuses even after they have been shown to be false?

The above study abstract demonstrates that the mechanism of harsh environment selecting for greater cognitive skills is seen in other species besides humans. A past thread ran 20 pages with no answers, only insults, when I asked for evidence that blacks were as intelligent as whites (on average). No one was able to give a theory or describe the mechanisms which would lead to the observed reality around us. My side does have a theory that is backed up over and over again. My side describes the mechanisms of how differences are physically demonstrated and inevitable.

My side describes reality and the other side wishes that reality would change. There is no real magic folks, no amount of believing in Tinkerbell is going to change things.

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Birds? Now your comparing birds to humans? Am i missing something here?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    did you miss this part of my post?

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Nope, I didn't miss that part at all. It is part of YOUR assessments and not part of the study of birds.

So again i will ask you, am i missing something?

5. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    OK, from the abstract-
    this would be a truthful statement coming from a study of human races. my aim was to show
    if you believe that humans are not subjected to evolutionary pressures because of your religious beliefs this is probably not the right thread for you.

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

In the VERY abstract.

You do forgot one word in that little statement of "truth" the small word IF. The study is NOT on humans.

Now lets talk abstracts of extremes. Are you saying Africa is/was a soft place to live? Do you think you could survive there?

On the contrary, I do believe in evolution and all of its processes. I do not have any religious bias. If however you cannot take criticism then maybe this forum is not the right place for you.

7. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    first off, you do understand that in this very clear context that the word abstract means concise summation, right?

ther have been lots of human studies that have shown differences in human brain morphology, and differences in racial memory as well. are you unaware of them?

my ancestors came from cold northern climates so I am probably better suited to live there. what does my personal ability to survive in Africa have to do with this?

good, I am glad that you wish to take a logical and evidenciary approach to this subject. I certainly can and have taken much criticism and I would be happy to answer yours.

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Your title:
    Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments

Your stance:
    Do you understand the word abstract? Good. Then you will understand the question about you being able to survive in the wilds of africa.

If we are going to compare birds to human learning and brain morphology in terms of "Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments" then you should allow human to human comparisons of "harsh environments". And in the abstract of "whites" have some advantage of "Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments" then you should do very well in the extremely harsh environment of africa if your morphology is somehow greater.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    OK. The environmental conditions of my ancestors selected for such things as conservation of heat, long term planning and vitamin D production. hence we tend to be more rotund, with bigger brains capable of more complex problem solving and pale skin to make the best use of the available sunlight.

the environmental conditions of african ancestors selected for such things as heat dissappation, protection from UV radiation and parasite defense. leading to leaner, narrower bodies and heads, dark skin and sickle cell trait.

of course there are many, many other adaptions. I would not do as well in africa, africans would not do as well in europe.

10. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    Syrenn- do you believe that human brains, even though they are racially different in size, shape and measurable function are exactly the same? or do you think that evolution has led to adaptations that would make them different in size, shape and function?