LeakGate Resolution:Bush's genius.

jillian said:
If the president eliminates or sets procedures, those new procedures or changes need to be announced. It can't just be a unilateral determination as to what s politically helpful and the procedures or lack thereof can't be changed on a case by case basis.

No "cherry picking" involved. And the only thing disingenuous is "declassifying" material for no national security purpose, but to achieve a political end.

Isn't that your own rather subjective interpretation of his motives, though?

jillian said:
If the president eliminates or sets procedures, those new procedures or changes need to be announced. It can't just be a unilateral determination as to what s politically helpful and the procedures or lack thereof can't be changed on a case by case basis.

No "cherry picking" involved. And the only thing disingenuous is "declassifying" material for no national security purpose, but to achieve a political end.
You are the court that decides whether or not it's for political ends? Why? Actually none of this really had to do with CIA, rather with Joe Wilson, who over and over again lied and misrepresented who and why he was sent where...

http://www.slate.com/id/2103795/

http://www.belgraviadispatch.com/archives/001447.html

http://theanchoressonline.com/2005/11/04/wilson-and-gore-and-alamoudi/

Kathianne said:
None of that pertains to the president. Read a bit more...

Not so....it talks about procedures which have to be followed in certifying to he president that information needs to be declassified. While the president sets the procedures, the procedures set have to be followed and can't just be discarded in some instances and enforced in others.

jillian said:
Not so....it talks about procedures which have to be followed in certifying to he president that information needs to be declassified. While the president sets the procedures, the procedures set have to be followed and can't just be discarded in some instances and enforced in others.

Certifying to the president? what if he decides on his own?

jillian said:
Nope, he may choose to disregard the procedures, which others cannot. That is inherent in the 'Chief Executive's Powers'. You must remember, it's an elected position, which anyone voting should understand the powers conferred. Your problem, you don't like him.

Kathianne said:
Nope, he may choose to disregard the procedures, which others cannot. That is inherent in the 'Chief Executive's Powers'. You must remember, it's an elected position, which anyone voting should understand the powers conferred. Your problem, you don't like him.

I think you've arrived at the heart of the matter.

jillian said:

Of course you disagree about Clinton, I figured that out previously.

You are just being obstinate.That's ok and about what I expect. At least you haven't degenerated to name calling yet so kudos to you.

Any president can set procedures, change them or ignore them anytime he wants in this matter. By the way, this bill was set up specifically for Clinton and now that Bush has taken advantage of it you are upset...ironic isn't it?

Kathianne said:
You are the court that decides whether or not it's for political ends? Why? Actually none of this really had to do with CIA, rather with Joe Wilson, who over and over again lied and misrepresented who and why he was sent where...

http://www.slate.com/id/2103795/

http://www.belgraviadispatch.com/archives/001447.html

http://theanchoressonline.com/2005/11/04/wilson-and-gore-and-alamoudi/

There has been no evidence yet with respect to Bush and Valerie Plame. Nor was I discussing that. I was discussing what was released this week about Bush approving leaks of information to support our entry into Iraq.

Anyway, back later.... have to supervise a couple of eight year old boys having a play date.

Thanks for the conversation.

jillian said:
There has been no evidence yet with respect to Bush and Valerie Plame. Nor was I discussing that. I was discussing what was released this week about Bush approving leaks of information to support our entry into Iraq.

Anyway, back later.... have to supervise a couple of eight year old boys having a play date.

Thanks for the conversation.
I have to agree with CSM regarding your position and ability to at least keep it civil! :thup: The leaks have everything to do with Libby, thus Plame and Wilson. But good luck with the 8 year old boys, been there, done that! Tougher job than politics! :laugh:

Kathianne said:
The President can classify/declassify at will:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c105:H.R.1546:

Yes, but was he smart to do it after he has given past speeches on punishing anyone who leaks anything classified from his administration? Seems to be a case of do as I say not as I do.

Hardly matters now though, he seems destined to spend the next 2.5 years as lame duck as they come, very dissappointing.

OCA said:
Yes, but was he smart to do it after he has given past speeches on punishing anyone who leaks anything classified from his administration? Seems to be a case of do as I say not as I do.

Hardly matters now though, he seems destined to spend the next 2.5 years as lame duck as they come, very dissappointing.
The word you're missing is 'unauthorized' regarding the leaks. See the President can authorize, which defacto makes them declassified.

Kathianne said:
I have to agree with CSM regarding your position and ability to at least keep it civil! :thup: The leaks have everything to do with Libby, thus Plame and Wilson. But good luck with the 8 year old boys, been there, done that! Tougher job than politics! :laugh:

Thanks to you and CSM. I don't mind a good disagreement. Figure that's part of the price of admission. I only resort to the other stuff when it's directed at me first. And thanks for the reputation points. :mm:

Thanks re the 8 year olds.... and politics is easy...kids.... well, they're kids. heh! :cheers2:

Kathianne said:
The word you're missing is 'unauthorized' regarding the leaks. See the President can authorize, which defacto makes them declassified.

You see, your stopping at nothing to give Bush a pass on just about everything except immigration. The question is thusly: was he smart to declassify and leak info. regarding Iraq or anything else for that matter given the ultimate shambles his current admin. is in? Does he like playing with fire? Seems to me he likes giving his critics ammo to fire at him with.

OCA said:
You see, your stopping at nothing to give Bush a pass on just about everything except immigration. The question is thusly: was he smart to declassify and leak info. regarding Iraq or anything else for that matter given the ultimate shambles his current admin. is in? Does he like playing with fire? Seems to me he likes giving his critics ammo to fire at him with.
I think there are plenty who will say I never give him a pass. The perquisites of office are just that.

OCA said:
was he smart to declassify and leak info. regarding Iraq or anything else for that matter given the ultimate shambles his current admin. is in? Does he like playing with fire? Seems to me he likes giving his critics ammo to fire at him with.

Bush is not smart period. Those around him are, though...thought they would handle him better on this issue. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

rtwngAvngr said:
"unitary executive" :rotflmao: The moment I hear this phrase, I know someone is a buttnut.

Then Dubbyuh and Samuel "Scalito" Alito fall into that category as they have used the term on several occasions, and advocate for the concept of a unitary executive branch. :rotflmao:

rtwngAvngr said:
WHo says?

Why not? I think what we have here is a "nuisance oriented legislature".

What we have, old son, is a legislature that has rubberstamped every misguided and misbegotten policy cooked up by the Bush administration. The Republican controlled Congress has reduced itself to irrelevancy by abdicating its oversight authority and failing to hold this administration accountable...FOR ANYTHING.

They all may as well stay home after their Easter break, as mad King George is a law unto himself.

Bullypulpit said:
What we have, old son, is a legislature that has rubberstamped every misguided and misbegotten policy cooked up by the Bush administration. The Republican controlled Congress has reduced itself to irrelevancy by abdicating its oversight authority and failing to hold this administration accountable...FOR ANYTHING.

They all may as well stay home after their Easter break, as mad King George is a law unto himself.

He hasn't done anything wrong. Iraq had connections to alquaeda. He was monitoring the communications of TERRORISTS. He is able to declassify whatever the hell he wants, however he wants. Your party is a bunch of mewling weenies.

Forum List

Back