Leading economic indicators rise in August

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK — A private forecast of economic activity rose in August for the fifth straight month, the latest sign the recession has ended.

The Conference Board said Monday its index of leading indicators rose 0.6 percent in August. That follows a 0.9 percent gain in July revised up from 0.6 percent. Economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected an 0.7 percent gain last month.

The indicators are designed to project economic activity in the next three to six months. The August results support many analysts' projections that the economy started growing again in the current July-September quarter and will continue to gain in the fourth quarter.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke last week said the recession was "very likely over."

The Associated Press: Leading economic indicators rise in August

I suppose Rush Limbaugh and his followers are despondent; any news that our economy is on the rebound must be devistating for those who wish Obama to fail. Now Limbaugh will need to spin this bit of positive news to 'prove' something that benefits him, and casts doubt on Obama.
Fortunately for Limbaugh, it is easy to fool the ditto heads, facts are not necessary and history is so easily rewritten.

Slowly rising which isn't bad but still fragile and a little hiccup will stop and possibly undo the gain. All predictions.

NEW YORK — A private forecast of economic activity rose in August for the fifth straight month, the latest sign the recession has ended.

The Conference Board said Monday its index of leading indicators rose 0.6 percent in August. That follows a 0.9 percent gain in July revised up from 0.6 percent. Economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected an 0.7 percent gain last month.

The indicators are designed to project economic activity in the next three to six months. The August results support many analysts' projections that the economy started growing again in the current July-September quarter and will continue to gain in the fourth quarter.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke last week said the recession was "very likely over."

Where are the jobs???????????????????????????????????????????????????? I am getting ready for the double dip recession that's just around the corner for us. Whoppee

Course it doesnt say what those "indicators" are. What a surprise.

They don't list them because the Conference Board uses a set list.

1. Average weekly hours (manufacturing)
2. Average weekly jobless claims for unemployment insurance
3. Manufacturer's new orders for consumer goods/materials
4. Vendor performance (slower deliveries diffusion index)
5. Manufacturer's new orders for non-defense capital goods
6. Building permits for new private housing units
7. The Standard & Poor's 500 stock index
8. Money Supply (M2)
9. Interest rate spread (10-year Treasury vs. Federal Funds target)
10. Index of consumer expectations

http://www.investopedia.com/university/conferenceboard/conferenceboard2.asp

Where are the jobs???????????????????????????????????????????????????? I am getting ready for the double dip recession that's just around the corner for us. Whoppee

Employment is always a lagging indicator.

8. Money Supply (M2)

Welcome to Investopedia.com

Well thats more information, Thank you. I would like to see the exact figured they are working with. Seems to me the government has reason to state the economy is getting better yet its odd they arent showing their evidence of it.

Economic growth may very well be much stronger over the next four quarters than most people expect.

The question is whether or not it is sustainable.

The much more important question: "Can I get my hands on some of that free liquidity?"

rise and then a fall. It's W-shaped and has very little to do with who the president is.

Well thats more information, Thank you. I would like to see the exact figured they are working with. Seems to me the government has reason to state the economy is getting better yet its odd they arent showing their evidence of it.

The Conference Board isn't a government agency.

8. Money Supply (M2)

Welcome to Investopedia.com

What is not odd is that you do not understand a very simple process. Nothing new there.

Just curious. What kind of job are you qualified for?

The macro economy may be seeing rising "economic indicators", but the micro economies in the US right now paint a very different picture.

Ask someone in Detroit right now how their "economic indicators" are looking.

The macro economy may be seeing rising "economic indicators", but the micro economies in the US right now paint a very different picture.

Ask someone in Detroit right now how their "economic indicators" are looking.

Detroit was in free-fall even before the recession.

Forum List

Back