leaders: born, or made?

Are great leaders born, or made?

• Born. Only born.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Made. Only made.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • A combination of being both born AND made.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • None of the above. They just are, existentially and/ or metaphysically speaking. Period.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I guess I really don't know. I blame George W. Bush.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The better question is...do we need leaders and what is the history of leaders?

IMO we do not need leaders. They are mostly corrupt liars who work tirelessly to enrich and empower themselves, while causing the deaths of millions.
You are entitled to that view, but it would be wrong.

Could you please explain WHY my opinion is wrong?

Without leaders everything would be a cluster f..k. No one would take responsibility for anything.

Maybe so, but what we have now WITH leaders, IS a cluster f**k.

No?

Not as much of a cluster f..k as we would have with no leaders. There are leaders all around you if you are not one yourself.

I am referring to political leadership only. Leadership in other areas of our society, I am fine with.

Related to political leadership, we can't know what a society would be like without them, since it has never been tried. I would like to give it a try, since it could hardly be worse.

Maybe so, but what we have now WITH leaders, IS a cluster f**k.

No?

Not as much of a cluster f..k as we would have with no leaders. There are leaders all around you if you are not one yourself.

I am referring to political leadership only. Leadership in other areas of our society, I am fine with.

Related to political leadership, we can't know what a society would be like without them, since it has never been tried. I would like to give it a try, since it could hardly be worse.

As long as there are humans you will have political leadership. Its how we are built and how we survived being social animals. People would lose their minds without it as it is against our instincts.

The better question is...do we need leaders and what is the history of leaders?

IMO we do not need leaders. They are mostly corrupt liars who work tirelessly to enrich and empower themselves, while causing the deaths of millions.

Do you know any history at all?

Leaps forward, advances in everything from humanities to science all happen at the urging of men of vision. With vision, a leader can motivate, organize, and keep things on track.

We would not have a space program, or thousands of other such things. The list is just to large to enumerate on how the world benefits from leaders.

To say we don't need them is tantamount to saying we do okay just milling about fruitlessly.

Do you know any history at all?

Leaps forward, advances in everything from humanities to science all happen at the urging of men of vision. With vision, a leader can motivate, organize, and keep things on track.

We would not have a space program, or thousands of other such things. The list is just to large to enumerate on how the world benefits from leaders.

To say we don't need them is tantamount to saying we do okay just milling about fruitlessly.

Please read my posts. You misunderstand.

My experience leaders are made. But some have natural skills that lead to leadership.

My experience reveals to me that it has been a combination of the two. Some that are born, but not allowed the proper guidance can end up no where, whereas the one that has received a great deal of cultivation and guidance can rise to great heights. Those that are fortunate to receive both move mountains.

Are the greatest leaders born, i.e. entitled via aristocracy or plutocracy, or are they made great via the nicks, pings and bruises on their bodies and the dirt under their fingernails acquired from the charismatic camaraderie and quantification of hard work?

Me, I tend to think that the best leaders are made, not born.

But because some of the most well-known leaders in world history (Alexander the Great, King Solomon and Winston Churchill, for example) were both born into wealth or the statesmanship of surname and molded from the clay of their hard work—and the gut-wrenching emotional and spiritual mountains and valleys that accompanied that work—I'm not sure one can definitively state that they are only made.

It's been a while since I was in a philosophy class, so I'm hoping that some fellow USMBers will put a good spin on the question and thereby give me a helping hand with this.

I'd say that the majority of leaders are born with an inclination to be leaders but are generally made. However, I'd say that the greatest leaders were born leaders and self made.

You are blank slate when you are born. Minus physical gifts you are no more a leader than anyone else. Its what you learn along the way that makes leaders. Hence they are made.

I think anyone who lives his life under extraordinary circumstances is forced into a leadership role. At this point, you either sink or swim. At this juncture, your genetic gifts may help you out a bit but other than that, it is all life.

Forum List

Back