Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Thanks China for making the , 'no good deed goes unpunished' fit once again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/nyregion/15bags.html?_r=2&ref=science

November 14, 2010
Even Reusable Bags Carry Environmental Risk
By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM

They dangle from the arms of many New Yorkers, a nearly ubiquitous emblem of empathy with the environment: synthetic, reusable grocery bags, another must-have accessory for the socially conscious.

But the bags, hot items at upscale markets, may be on the verge of a glacier-size public relations problem: similar bags outside the city have been found to contain lead.

“They say plastic bags are bad; now they say these are bad. What’s worse?” asked Jen Bluestein, who was walking out of Trader Joe’s on the Upper West Side with a reusable bag under her arm on Sunday.

“Green is a trend and people go with trends,” Ms. Bluestein said. “People get them as fashion statements and they have, like, 50 of them. I don’t think people know the real facts.”

I have mine from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. From what the article says, the plastic in Whole Foods may be a problem. Sigh.

I saw an exposé awhile back, that tested for and found all sorts of nasty bacteria in those enviroloon status symbols.

Personally, I still request the old school brown paper sacks.

Yup. Screw the lead as they are really loaded with E-coli and other nasty microscopic critters.

Lead In Your 'Reusable' Bags

My "bags" have always been reusable and no lead yet. Let's just hope all those lovers husbands never find out, I'd like to keep em lead free. Not to mention the rest of me.......

Forum List

Back