LDS Apostle Boyd Packer dies

Finally got it

An LDS apostle is like a special elder in the church. Jesus Christ does not appoint them, they are selected by other men.

Even the Catholic church uses different terms to distinguish leaders in their church and those first selected directly by Jesus. LDS terminology is confusing.

They are called through revelation. Much like Mathias was.

So they are 'false' apostles like Mathias. Despite how the apostles feel, Judas is still an apostle. Judas is the 'fallen' apostle.

'false' apostle sounds negative and the church had to come up with another name for those elected by the clergy to leadership positions.

P.S. Mathias did walk with Jesus during the time of the Gospel, but he was not chosen by Jesus. Only Jesus choses his apostles--it is not an elected position.

Matthias was a true apostle. He was not elected. Nor was anyone else who.has been called to the apostleship. They are called of God as Aaron was.

According to acts, Matthias was chosen by lots to become an 'apostle'

He was chosen over Barsabas. Jesus did not select him, the 12 apostles did. They also assumed Judas was no longer an apostle, but that is a designation only Jesus can give or take. Judas is still an apostle. The selection of Matthias is the beginning of the church deviations from the ministry that Jesus started.

He was chosen over Barsabas. Jesus did not select him, the 12 apostles did. They also assumed Judas was no longer an apostle, but that is a designation only Jesus can give or take. Judas is still an apostle. The selection of Matthias is the beginning of the church deviations from the ministry that Jesus started.
david said in psalms Let someone else have his bishopric
So you are wrong....again.

The selection of Matthias came by the Spirit of the Lord, like all callings do. The Lord tells those He has already called to call someone to a certain position. Paul was later called to replace those who.had been martyred.

An interesting look at how revelation influences the calls comes from an account of Heber J Grant:

In addition to receiving guidance in his personal life, President Grant received revelations as President of the Church to guide the Church as a whole. One such revelation came just after he was set apart as President of the Church, when he sought the will of the Lord in appointing a new member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. As he pondered this responsibility, his thoughts turned repeatedly to his lifelong friend Richard W. Young, a faithful Latter-day Saint and a proven leader. President Grant discussed this possibility with his counselors, who supported his decision. When he finally felt confident with this course of action, he wrote his friend’s name on a piece of paper and took the paper with him to the weekly temple meeting with the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve. However, when he was about to present the name for the approval of his Brethren, he was unable to do so. Instead of presenting the name of Richard W. Young, he presented the name of Melvin J. Ballard, a man whom he hardly knew.3 President Grant later told of the impact this experience had on him:

“I have felt the inspiration of the living God directing me in my labors. From the day that I chose a comparative stranger to be one of the apostles, instead of my lifelong and dearest living friend, I have known as I know that I live, that I am entitled to the light and the inspiration and the guidance of God in directing His work here upon this earth.”

Teachings Heber J. Grant Chapter 20 The Still Small Voice of Revelation

Great lesson on seeking the Spirit in our own life.

The original 12 in this dispensation we called by Jesus. He instructed the three witnesses Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, and Martin Harris to seek them out even before the Church was organized.

Doctrine and Covenants 18

Paul stated that we would be given apostles until we come into a unity of faith. That hasn't happened yet. So apostle are still called. He also stated that the foundation of the church was apostles and prophets with Christ as the chief cornerstone.

If the foundation of the church does, how can the Church continue to stand unless the calling is replaced and the bishopric filled?

Forum List

Back