"Lazy whining complaining" 9th ward residents busy rebuilding

You ever been?

Yes, Two years in a row while I was in College(pre-Morial). The second year I was given a 4 way hit of Windowpane acid, 15 hours of tooth grinding psychodelics....that was the only thing that made it remotely interesting to be there(I was Alot younger)..... then again I don't get a big charge out of watching drunk perverts with masks. I would much rather spend time going for a hike in Yosemite Valley or flying a small plane anyday.

Yes, Two years in a row while I was in College(pre-Morial). The second year I was given a 4 way hit of Windowpane acid, 15 hours of tooth grinding psychodelics....that was the only thing that made it remotely interesting to be there(I was Alot younger)..... then again I don't get a big charge out of watching drunk perverts with masks. I would much rather spend time going for a hike in Yosemite Valley or flying a small plane anyday.

Have fun with your small plane don't fly it into a mountain while you're tripping on acid that would suck dude, major bad trip.

I've never heard anyone blame New Orleans for their acid problem.

Have fun with your small plane don't fly it into a mountain while you're tripping on acid that would suck dude, major bad trip.

I've never heard anyone blame New Orleans for their acid problem.

The acid was taken 30 years ago and contrary to the bullshit antidrug propaganda it was really no big deal and I have never had any "reocurrences of the "trip". Today, I might have a glass of wine infrequently, don't care or need to alter my state of conciousness.

You make all who actually know how to handle pot look bad, you are obviously seriously affected by the simplest of drugs. What I stated was that it took a hit of the most powerful LSD available to make Mardi Gras in New Orleans the least bit interesting.

The fact is New Orleans is still a smelly, dirty, moldy, disgustingly decadent place that has absolutely no value to the rest of the country. The port could easily be replaced by Houston's or even one in B.R. . The music sucks and the food is vastly over rated, Lafayette kicks it's ass in both categories. As for history, who cares to recall the shame of everything New Orleans represents. Just go ahead and flush it now before another federal dollar is wasted on this coming disaster 2. I'm done, nothing left to say to you creole boy.

The fact is New Orleans is still a smelly, dirty, moldy, disgustingly decadent place that has absolutely no value to the rest of the country. The port could easily be replaced by Houston's or even one in B.R. .
There are already ports in Houston and BR.

Despite the fact that you hate your fellow Americans, we aren't going anywhere. We'll be dressing up like jackasses and getting faced for years to come, you can count on it.

There are already ports in Houston and BR.

Despite the fact that you hate your fellow Americans, we aren't going anywhere. We'll be dressing up like jackasses and getting faced for years to come, you can count on it.

That's a comfort.:rolleyes:

Stayed in New Orleans about 15 years ago. Had a great time, thought the food was great, and the taxi driver, that showed us around was a hoot!

We stayed in the big Hotel across the street from the Super Dome. We had dinner in the restaurant on the top floor, that revolves, breath taking, with NO laid out below you.

The wife went back down a couple of years ago for a judges convention. They took one of the river boat, and toured the old plantations that line the Mississippi, they said they had a great time, and the people were just wonderful.

Any sort of injection of cash into the city, by tourism or by private investment or by government aid is and will help, so even if people have to wait a few years to get their grants, they'll have that grant money and can use it to start a business, build a better house, or whatever.

Ever been to Mardi Gras? The Quarter isn't a dangerous place, compared to the rest of the city. Frankly, during Mardi Gras in the Quarter, you have more to fear from the police than violent criminals. It was blast this year. There were about 1/3 as many people - which was bad economically but great for the average Mardi Gras goer because you could actually (though just barely) walk down Bourbon street. If you've never been its truly a blast and we also have one of the best jazz festivals in the world every late april/early may.

Not dangerous??? I lived in Gretna for 2 yrs almost 15 years ago and the city was dangerous even then! The Quarter isn't dangerous because of the massive police presence that is always there. But, the poor tourist who wanders off that street are in trouble.

The city has been going down hill for years. Even back then everyone I knew (receptionists and blue coller) sent there children to private schools because the public ones were so bad.

Meanwhile, perfectly good, or only slightly damaged, subsidized housing sits boarded up all over the city. As FEMA stars shutting down trailer parks there will be a glut of homeless people and unfortunately probably a spike in violent crime as a result. This MLK day we're planning on taking back public housing though. Lots of these people still hold valid leases on the property and their possessions have remained boarded up in their apartments since the storm.

I do admire you for sticking up for your city. But please admit that the public housing in NO was in deep trouble for years (gang infested) and alot of the reason the 9th ward is having so much trouble is because only a small percentage owned their own homes.

The local gov. screwed up badly during Katrina. But no one left people to drown. Almost 100,000 people were moved out of the city in ONE WEEK. The city was empty by that Friday. No one was left to starve.

Most of the people shown on TV were able bodied and perfectly capable of getting out of the city. Everyone knows NO is a fish bowl and reports had been done that showed the levees wouln't hold up. There are THREE bridges out of that city that people without cars could have walked over. But they chose to stay. Not unusual, many people in Florida refuse to evacuate during hurricans also.

The VAST majority of people who died during that storm were over 60 yrs old. In other words the people who most likely couldn't leave.

http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/reports.asp?ID=192&Detail=207

That's a comfort.:rolleyes:

The wife went back down a couple of years ago for a judges convention. They took one of the river boat, and toured the old plantations that line the Mississippi, they said they had a great time, and the people were just wonderful.

Yeah the judges here always have good time. My dad's law firm throws a Stag party every year for the judges, you can only get to the party by boat or seaplane, it last 2 days, and the crawfish are as big as lobsters.

Not dangerous??? I lived in Gretna for 2 yrs almost 15 years ago and the city was dangerous even then! The Quarter isn't dangerous because of the massive police presence that is always there. But, the poor tourist who wanders off that street are in trouble.

The city has been going down hill for years. Even back then everyone I knew (receptionists and blue coller) sent there children to private schools because the public ones were so bad.

I do admire you for sticking up for your city. But please admit that the public housing in NO was in deep trouble for years (gang infested) and alot of the reason the 9th ward is having so much trouble is because only a small percentage owned their own homes.

I don't know where you get your facts, but the lower 9th ward has a high home ownership percentage than the rest of the city.

http://www.gnocdc.org/orleans/8/22/housing.html

The local gov. screwed up badly during Katrina. But no one left people to drown. Almost 100,000 people were moved out of the city in ONE WEEK. The city was empty by that Friday. No one was left to starve.

I don't know what hurricane you're talking about, but thousands of people were left to starve. Some couldn't leave because they were old. Some couldn't leave because they didn't have cars.

Most of the people shown on TV

Shown on TV? Oh, you saw it on TV, so you must know what you're talking about.

were able bodied and perfectly capable of getting out of the city.

Does being able bodied mean you have wings?

Let me educate you and others on one of the features of a hurricane you just don't seem to get.
HURRICANES ARE BIG.
They can stretch over hundreds of miles. YOU CAN'T WALK AWAY FROM THEM.
East Baton Rouge Parish was the nearest Parish not under an order of evacuation to Orleans Parish. That's about 75 miles if you're coming from the center of the City, 85 miles if you're coming from Da East. I know, you're about to say how if you had less than 2 days notice to walk 80 miles with your family to sleep on the side of the road in Baton Rouge you would do it - and you wouldn't be the only one. Hundreds of self-righteous Yankees have said the same thing - yet NONE of them can recount the last time THEY walked 80 miles with their family with 2 days notice. In fact, none of them can even tell the story of someone they KNEW who did that. Funny, isn't it? That would be like me telling a New Yorker that his wife died in the WTC because she was too lazy to run faster.

Everyone knows NO is a fish bowl and reports had been done that showed the levees wouln't hold up. There are THREE bridges out of that city that people without cars could have walked over. But they chose to stay. Not unusual, many people in Florida refuse to evacuate during hurricans also.

If there was a government report that showed the levees wouldn't withstand a Cat 3, I'd like to see it. As for the bridges, its decidely difficult to walk over a bridge when the police are shooting at you. Also very hard to walk very far at all without a sanitary supply of drinking water, I don't know if you've noticed but heavy physical activity, such as walking 80 miles and dodging bullets on the way, increases one's hydration requirements.

The VAST majority of people who died during that storm were over 60 yrs old. In other words the people who most likely couldn't leave.

http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/reports.asp?ID=192&Detail=207
The link you provided brings me to a list of victims at the St. Gabriel Morgue. I don't doubt you are correct, but there are no stats about the victims as a whole on that site. I don't see your point either.

I don't know what hurricane you're talking about, but thousands of people were left to starve. Some couldn't leave because they were old. Some couldn't leave because they didn't have cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't starve in 3 days. Hurricane hit on Sat. Levees broke on Sun. most of the people were evacuated by Wed. city empty on Fri. Yes, you'd be hungery but no starving going on.

Does being able bodied mean you have wings?

Let me educate you and others on one of the features of a hurricane you just don't seem to get.
HURRICANES ARE BIG.
They can stretch over hundreds of miles. YOU CAN'T WALK AWAY FROM THEM.
East Baton Rouge Parish was the nearest Parish not under an order of evacuation to Orleans Parish. That's about 75 miles if you're coming from the center of the City, 85 miles if you're coming from Da East. I know, you're about to say how if you had less than 2 days notice to walk 80 miles with your family to sleep on the side of the road in Baton Rouge you would do it - and you wouldn't be the only one. Hundreds of self-righteous Yankees have said the same thing - yet NONE of them can recount the last time THEY walked 80 miles with their family with 2 days notice. In fact, none of them can even tell the story of someone they KNEW who did that. Funny, isn't it? That would be like me telling a New Yorker that his wife died in the WTC because she was too lazy to run faster.

Sorry smart man, but I do know what I'm talking about. I grew up in Florida and lived in Gretna for 2 years. I wasn't down there during Katrina, so yes, the people I saw in TV were mostly young and completely able to leave before the hurricane struck a city that everyone knows is a fish bowl. I never said you could walk away from a hurricane, but it is possible to cross the bridge, before the storm hits, and be safer than you would have been in N.O. Ya, don't have to dodge bullets that way. Gretna lost power, but didn't flood.

Compairing this to NYC is moronic. They didn't have a WEEK to prepair for the attack, unlike the hurricane coverage which was all over the news and always is EVERY YEAR!!

The people there did CHOOSE to stay. I know people in FL who used to throw hurricane parties, people who grow up with them as a threat every year tend to not take them seriously. People want to stay and protect their homes, or they're just older and stubborn.

If there was a government report that showed the levees wouldn't withstand a Cat 3, I'd like to see it. As for the bridges, its decidely difficult to walk over a bridge when the police are shooting at you. Also very hard to walk very far at all without a sanitary supply of drinking water, I don't know if you've noticed but heavy physical activity, such as walking 80 miles and dodging bullets on the way, increases one's hydration requirements.

Once again, I didn't suggest they walk out of the state, just out of the city. I also stated they should have left before the hurricane, ya know sometime in the week prior. NO one was shooting then, and there was plenty of sanitary water. OF course in the week prior there was also public transport, so they wouldn't have even had to walk.

As for reports about the levees being vulnerable to a Cat 3 the Times Picayune did a 5 part story on the levees back in June 2002.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf?/washingaway/thebigone_1.html

The scene has been played out for years in computer models and emergency-operations simulations. Officials at the local, state and national level are convinced the risk is genuine and are devising plans for alleviating the aftermath of a disaster that could leave the city uninhabitable for six months or more. The Army Corps of Engineers has begun a study to see whether the levees should be raised to counter the threat. But officials say that right now, nothing can stop "the big one."

In the past year, Federal Emergency Management Agency officials have begun working with state and local agencies to devise plans on what to do if a Category 5 hurricane strikes New Orleans.

Shortly after he took office, FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh ordered aides to examine the nation's potential major catastrophes, including the New Orleans scenario.

Posted by Spiderman:

Wow, you really are a bitch. You bitch because you think New Orleans residents are doing nothing but complaining, then when you find out they are working together to rebuild, you bitch about that. Can't ever find a cock big enough to satisfy you, can you?

Tell me, do you usually wait almost two years before you start making plans to rebuild?

Forum List

Back