"Lazy whining complaining" 9th ward residents busy rebuilding

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-19/1168156124152530.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

ACORN offers its own plan
Sunday, January 07, 2007
By Gwen Filosa

The Lower 9th Ward and other nearby New Orleans working-class neighborhoods are primed for recovery, with the majority of storm-damaged houses structurally sound despite being flooded 16 months ago, according to a report released Saturday by the community group ACORN and its Ivy League planners.

The planning team delivered a 170-page report titled "A Peoples' Plan for Overcoming the Hurricane Katrina Blues," with a five-year outline and statistics derived from a door-to-door survey of residents last fall.

The local chapter of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now has gutted hundreds of flooded homes since the storm.

The group said that even though only a small fraction of Lower 9th Ward residents are living in their old neighborhood, nearly 80 percent are in the process of cleaning, gutting or renovating their homes.

"There is a lot going on in these neighborhoods," said Rebekah Green, a research fellow at Columbia University and part of the team behind the report. "Don't let anybody tell you these neighborhoods are ghost towns, because they're not."

The ACORN report is independent of the Unified New Orleans Plan process, which has hired professional planners to devise recovery strategies for all parts of the city. It comes three months after UNOP dropped ACORN from its team of planners, saying the nonprofit had a conflict of interest because it is also redeveloping seized properties.

Green said the report will be given to the city as a strategy for recovery. The report covers planning Districts 7 and 8, as designated by UNOP.

On Saturday, more than 70 people gathered at Holy Angels Academy on St. Claude Avenue to review the report, which its authors said has more credibility than the plans UNOP is producing because the ideas in it came from searching out residents of the affected neighborhoods, not depending on them to come to meetings.

"Ours is a plan that tries to build upon resident-led recovery," said Ken Reardon, a professor at Cornell University who led the survey of about 3,000 properties in the 9th Ward. The survey covered the St. Claude, Bywater and Lower 9th neighborhoods but not eastern New Orleans. "People who are rehabbing their houses are doing it on their own dimes. They fear their health and money will run out before they're done."

Sheer resilience has inspired residents of the worst-hit parts of Katrina-battered New Orleans, the planners said. The ACORN plan seeks to "transform" the neighborhoods into vibrant communities flush with services, schools and basics that were absent before Katrina, such as grocery stores.

That's a lot of work for regular people who don't own bulldozers.

"The Lower 9th Ward and other nearby New Orleans working-class neighborhoods are primed for recovery, with the majority of storm-damaged houses structurally sound despite being flooded 16 months ago, according to a report released Saturday by the community group ACORN and its Ivy League planners."

Well, that sews it up for me!

Posted by Spiderman:

Sunday, January 07, 2007
By Gwen Filosa

The Lower 9th Ward and other nearby New Orleans working-class neighborhoods are primed for recovery, with the majority of storm-damaged houses structurally sound despite being flooded 16 months ago, according to a report released Saturday by the community group ACORN and its Ivy League planners.

What WJ said.

The planning team delivered a 170-page report titled "A Peoples' Plan for Overcoming the Hurricane Katrina Blues," with a five-year outline and statistics derived from a door-to-door survey of residents last fall.

Sounds like the communist party has become involved. A "five year" plan? New Orleans may not even be there in five years. A "door to door survey"? Please, the residents change on a daily basis.

The local chapter of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now has gutted hundreds of flooded homes since the storm.

Seem like the "Peoples plan people" should be talking to these folks.

The group said that even though only a small fraction of Lower 9th Ward residents are living in their old neighborhood, nearly 80 percent are in the process of cleaning, gutting or renovating their homes.

Yea, its called looting.

"There is a lot going on in these neighborhoods," said Rebekah Green, a research fellow at Columbia University and part of the team behind the report. "Don't let anybody tell you these neighborhoods are ghost towns, because they're not."

No ones tried to tell ME that, but I'll be on the look out.

The ACORN report is independent of the Unified New Orleans Plan process, which has hired professional planners to devise recovery strategies for all parts of the city. It comes three months after UNOP dropped ACORN from its team of planners, saying the nonprofit had a conflict of interest because it is also redeveloping seized properties.

Shit, I'm going to need a score card to keep track of all the "players" in this "recover" game. Conflict of interest, in New Orleans, say it ain't so.

Green said the report will be given to the city as a strategy for recovery. The report covers planning Districts 7 and 8, as designated by UNOP.

Boy, this is "timely", and so helpful.

On Saturday, more than 70 people gathered at Holy Angels Academy on St. Claude Avenue to review the report, which its authors said has more credibility than the plans UNOP is producing because the ideas in it came from searching out residents of the affected neighborhoods, not depending on them to come to meetings.

So they went all the way to Washington State, and talked to the folks in the prison system? Commendable.

"Ours is a plan that tries to build upon resident-led recovery," said Ken Reardon, a professor at Cornell University who led the survey of about 3,000 properties in the 9th Ward. The survey covered the St. Claude, Bywater and Lower 9th neighborhoods but not eastern New Orleans. "People who are rehabbing their houses are doing it on their own dimes. They fear their health and money will run out before they're done."

Exactly what does that mean, "their health, and money will run out before they're done."?

By the way this hole deal is written, I smell Federal grant money, maybe I'm being a pessimist, we'll see.

Sheer resilience has inspired residents of the worst-hit parts of Katrina-battered New Orleans, the planners said. The ACORN plan seeks to "transform" the neighborhoods into vibrant communities flush with services, schools and basics that were absent before Katrina, such as grocery stores.

I wish them all the best.

• Banned
Posted by Spiderman:

Sunday, January 07, 2007
By Gwen Filosa

What WJ said.

Sounds like the communist party has become involved. A "five year" plan? New Orleans may not even be there in five years. A "door to door survey"? Please, the residents change on a daily basis.

Seem like the "Peoples plan people" should be talking to these folks.

Yea, its called looting.

No ones tried to tell ME that, but I'll be on the look out.

Shit, I'm going to need a score card to keep track of all the "players" in this "recover" game. Conflict of interest, in New Orleans, say it ain't so.

Boy, this is "timely", and so helpful.

So they went all the way to Washington State, and talked to the folks in the prison system? Commendable.

Exactly what does that mean, "their health, and money will run out before they're done."?

By the way this hole deal is written, I smell Federal grant money, maybe I'm being a pessimist, we'll see.

I wish them all the best.

Wow, you really are a bitch. You bitch because you think New Orleans residents are doing nothing but complaining, then when you find out they are working together to rebuild, you bitch about that. Can't ever find a cock big enough to satisfy you, can you?

• Banned
That's a lot of work for regular people who don't own bulldozers.

It really is. They are rebuilding week by week, people go to work, bring their paycheck home, take whatever they have left after necessities and go to the Home Depot to buy wiring, nails, roof tiles, what have you, to get one more step close to having a house again. Many are living on 2nd floors which didn't get floodwater while rebuilding the bottom floor. The mold is a huge problem. I have a friend from H.S. who does mold removal and he's been putting in 80 hour weeks since they opened the city back up.

Despite the slow pace of recovery, I think in a decade or so New Orleans will once again be the magnificent city it was before - despite the words of discouragement from self-righteous pricks like Trobinet.

It really is. They are rebuilding week by week, people go to work, bring their paycheck home, take whatever they have left after necessities and go to the Home Depot to buy wiring, nails, roof tiles, what have you, to get one more step close to having a house again. Many are living on 2nd floors which didn't get floodwater while rebuilding the bottom floor. The mold is a huge problem. I have a friend from H.S. who does mold removal and he's been putting in 80 hour weeks since they opened the city back up.

Despite the slow pace of recovery, I think in a decade or so New Orleans will once again be the magnificent city it was before - despite the words of discouragement from self-righteous pricks like Trobinet.

They should save all their reciepts. Maybe they can get some of the cost of materials back eventually. Maybe.

They should save all their reciepts. Maybe they can get some of the cost of materials back eventually. Maybe.

Its a definite possibility with the Road Home program, if that ever gets on the road (no pun intended). Any sort of injection of cash into the city, by tourism or by private investment or by government aid is and will help, so even if people have to wait a few years to get their grants, they'll have that grant money and can use it to start a business, build a better house, or whatever.

Ever been to Mardi Gras wiggles? The Quarter isn't a dangerous place, compared to the rest of the city. Frankly, during Mardi Gras in the Quarter, you have more to fear from the police than violent criminals. It was blast this year. There were about 1/3 as many people - which was bad economically but great for the average Mardi Gras goer because you could actually (though just barely) walk down Bourbon street. If you've never been its truly a blast and we also have one of the best jazz festivals in the world every late april/early may.

Meanwhile, perfectly good, or only slightly damaged, subsidized housing sits boarded up all over the city. As FEMA stars shutting down trailer parks there will be a glut of homeless people and unfortunately probably a spike in violent crime as a result. This MLK day we're planning on taking back public housing though. Lots of these people still hold valid leases on the property and their possessions have remained boarded up in their apartments since the storm.

Yea Wiggles, go to Mardi Gras.....it's a great time... if you're an alcoholic.
Walking around a dirty city drunk, with drunks, watching drunks making asses out of themselves for cheap trinkets and beads....sign me up. All the while taking the chance of being chosen to appear on COPS by getting your ass handed to you by the most corrupt "police" force on the planet. You can also bet on getting your out of state licensed car broken into, towed, and more or less destroyed by these wonderful people. Then of course the mugging by the before mentioned "police". Have a great time.

I went to N.O. for New Years once and stayed at a hotel in the Quarter. I forget the name of it. It's a very cool and unique town. I hope the people can keep it from getting Halliburtoned and Disneyfied.
How are people going to take back the public housing? Just go in en masse and make the police try to forcibly remove them?

Yea Wiggles, go to Mardi Gras.....it's a great time... if you're an alcoholic.
Walking around a dirty city drunk, with drunks, watching drunks making asses out of themselves for cheap trinkets and beads....sign me up. All the while taking the chance of being chosen to appear on COPS by getting your ass handed to you by the most corrupt "police" force on the planet. You can also bet on getting your out of state licensed car broken into, towed, and more or less destroyed by these wonderful people. Then of course the mugging by the before mentioned "police". Have a great time.

You ever been?

How are people going to take back the public housing? Just go in en masse and make the police try to forcibly remove them?

Pretty much.There's already one complex where the people who used to live there just moved on back in. They showed up with crowbars and what not and broke back into their homes.

Pretty much.There's already one complex where the people who used to live there just moved on back in. They showed up with crowbars and what not and broke back into their homes.

Good for them. As long as it's safe to live there. Well, either way, really.

We have no problem keeping the Dome under Louisiana control, as the Tigers amply demonstrated with their 41-14 blowout of media darling Notre Dame.

Damn nice of ya. BTW--I wouldn't settle for anything less than a spa in every public housing apartment. And new cars---just in case you need a way to evacuate next time.

Forum List

Back