Lawyers flock to Gulf Coast for oil spill lawsuits

Lawyers flock to Gulf Coast for oil spill lawsuits

May 1, 1:37 PM (ET)

By CURT ANDERSON and THOMAS WATKINS

MIAMI (AP) - Teams of lawyers from around the nation are mobilizing for a gargantuan legal battle over the massive Gulf Coast oil spill, filing multiple lawsuits in recent days that together could dwarf the half-billion dollars awarded in the Exxon Valdez disaster two decades ago.

If the oil slick fouls popular beaches, ruins fisheries and disrupts traffic on the Mississippi River, attorneys say there could be hundreds of thousands of plaintiffs from Texas to Florida seeking monetary damages from oil producer BP PLC (BP.) and other companies that ran the Transocean Deepwater Horizon drilling rig.

At least 26 federal lawsuits have been filed since the spill by commercial fishermen, charter boat captains, resort management companies and individual property owners in Louisiana, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi. Many of the suits claim the disaster was caused when workers for oil services contractor Halliburton Inc. improperly capped a well - a process known as cementing. Halliburton denied that. Investigators are still looking into the cause.

My Way News - Lawyers flock to Gulf Coast for oil spill lawsuits

The original nut for Exxon was 5.275 billion. And..that was thirty years ago.. multiply the worth of a dollar then against when the court reduced the penalty. It was reduced last year by the supreme court to 507 million.

Last edited:
^^^^

***Why I gave the Shakespeare reference***

No you didn't. Dude referenced it. You equated attorneys to politicians.

Yeah, you're a mod, so you must be right.:tongue:

Dude referenced Shakespeare: I referenced the quote from Shakespear's Henry VI.

Actually you tried to make yourself look smart by telling everyone where to find a quote that everyone with a high school education could find on their own.

Then in your most recent post, you demoted me and misspelled Shakespeare. Genius I tell you. :cool:

Can I start a "USMB Gayest Avatar Poll?"

Or maybe "Spit or Swallow," would be more entertaining?

:lol::lol:

Do you think you're proving ANYTHING? I sure don't.

The gayest avatar poll was done with the full consent of my nomination. We had many good laughs while plotting it. It sure wasn't another thread on a tired subject.

I don't remember spit or swallow, but if you think that was a duplicate of another current event thread then please step up and make your case.

The fact is Samson you're not even a player here on USMB. When's the last time you actually took a chance and put yourself on the line? I sure don't remember it. You're like posters like Father Time that just sort of sit on the sideline and try to inject funny now and then. I couldn't say where you reside on the political spectrum because I've never seen you have the balls to make a definitive statement. Have I? You betchcha. I get in trouble with both libs and cons because of my views. And I don't give a fuck.

You wanna prove that I've started a thread on a current event when 1 was already going? Go for it shitwad, you can't. As a general rule, I don't start threads, it's not really my style, but when I do, you can bet that it's not a duplicate or a triplicate, or a quadruplicate.

In short, fuck you Samson. When you're ready to step up and play you might begin to matter, until then you're nothing, and no 1 here even cares. If I was the kind of person that put people on ignore you'd definitely be a candidate because you've never contributed anything of any value that I've seen.

"In short:"

(From she who hasn't begun a thread since.......NOVEMBER):lol::lol:

Sorry sweetie, but you got no credability.:funnyface:

Not starting a thread since November = no crebibilty? :lol:

Sorry but you fail again (and again, and again).

You wanted to prove that I start threads even tho other exist and, of course, you FAILed.

Srsly Samson, as a player here you're not even in the game. You spend most of your time trying to be clever in others threads and you FAIL at that. But that is your best contribution. As I said before you should go back to that tactic, because when you try to engage those that actually do participate you just look foolish.

Do you really believe the number of threads that 1 starts is indicative of anything? If so, you're an even bigger jackass than most here perceive you to be. :lol:

Do you think you're proving ANYTHING? I sure don't.

The gayest avatar poll was done with the full consent of my nomination. We had many good laughs while plotting it. It sure wasn't another thread on a tired subject.

I don't remember spit or swallow, but if you think that was a duplicate of another current event thread then please step up and make your case.

The fact is Samson you're not even a player here on USMB. When's the last time you actually took a chance and put yourself on the line? I sure don't remember it. You're like posters like Father Time that just sort of sit on the sideline and try to inject funny now and then. I couldn't say where you reside on the political spectrum because I've never seen you have the balls to make a definitive statement. Have I? You betchcha. I get in trouble with both libs and cons because of my views. And I don't give a fuck.

You wanna prove that I've started a thread on a current event when 1 was already going? Go for it shitwad, you can't. As a general rule, I don't start threads, it's not really my style, but when I do, you can bet that it's not a duplicate or a triplicate, or a quadruplicate.

In short, fuck you Samson. When you're ready to step up and play you might begin to matter, until then you're nothing, and no 1 here even cares. If I was the kind of person that put people on ignore you'd definitely be a candidate because you've never contributed anything of any value that I've seen.

You wanted to prove that I start threads even tho other exist and, of course, you FAILed.

Srsly Samson, as a player here you're not even in the game. You spend most of your time trying to be clever in others threads and you FAIL at that. But that is your best contribution. As I said before you should go back to that tactic, because when you try to engage those that actually do participate you just look foolish.

Do you really believe the number of threads that 1 starts is indicative of anything? If so, you're an even bigger jackass than most here perceive you to be. :lol:

Poor girl. isn't it past your bedtime?

Dude, she just owned your ass and that is all you got? Give it up. She is smarter than you.

Dude, she just owned your ass and that is all you got? Give it up. She is smarter than you.

Oh yes, I'm sure you're prefectly right. And good of you to help the "smart" Amanda.

But before I give Up:

I wonder why she's not at the "Wrinkle Room" trying to finally pick up a guy?

I hope she hasn't gotten fat.........:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

Oh yes, I'm sure you're prefectly right.

But before I give Up

So, is that your plan? You are going to troll her because she won't give you any play?

Actually you tried to make yourself look smart by telling everyone where to find a quote that everyone with a high school education could find on their own.

Then in your most recent post, you demoted me and misspelled Shakespeare. Genius I tell you. :cool:

Did I "look smart?"

You flatter too much.

I'm happy you can spell Shakespeare, which can also be Googled.

Oh yes, I'm sure you're prefectly right.

But before I give Up

So, is that your plan? You are going to troll her because she won't give you any play?

I have a plan?

Actually, I've only been responding to what I assumed was your trolling.:lol:

Anyway, its been amusing watching you come to the rescue: Bravo Crimson, and because I respect your manly efforts, I'll leave her alone.

:clap2:

:night:

Did I "look smart?"

You flatter too much.

I'm happy you can spell Shakespeare, which can also be Googled.

I apologize. I said you tried. I should have said, you failed. My bad.

Oh yes, I'm sure you're prefectly right. And good of you to help the "smart" Amanda.

But before I give Up:

Have I said this before... I think I have.... fuck you Samson!

Anyone that's been paying attention knows I've found the love of my life and I'm quite happy with him.

Have I gotten fat? Hmmm... I'm a size 2, so I'll let you figure that out for your douse bag self. BTW, what would it matter what size I am? Are you that fucking shallow? Yes, I guess you probably are since you brought it up.

We can demote you guys?

Well SHIT, why didn't someone tell me earlier??

Gunny, I hereby declare you a n00b!!!

(did it work?)

Last edited:
Whe the spill hits the coast, a whole lotta people's livelihoods are going to take a beating.

Should these people just suck it up?

People who are financially injured by another party's negligance have every right to seek redress.

Blaming the legal profession for BP's problems is rather silly.

Whe the spill hits the coast, a whole lotta people's livelihoods are going to take a beating.

People who are financially injured by another party's negligance have every right to seek redress.

Nothing new here. Everybody hates lawyers...right up until they need one. :rolleyes:

The oil spill was indeed very tragic but out of everything bad there is some good. For example, if you go swimming in the oil slick, when you lay on the beach you won't need to use any sunscreen!

The lawyers are only flocking there to help those who have been injured by BP's negligence.
The smell of billions in fees with class action lawsuits is resulting in lawyers by the hundreds calling 911 from dehydrating with uncontrolled salivation. News at 11.

This terrible preventable accident may take years before that area will ever recover, resulting in thousands of families losing just about everything. I am trying to comprehend the damage yet to come from this "SPILL". This is, in my opinion, no longer a spill,it's a torrent of uncontrolled leakage caused by those who cut corners to save a few bucks and now have caused on of the planets biggest ecological disasters. $500 million for this safety "Valve" is like a day or less of profits from the industry.

I wonder if the administration will consider 'bailout monies' for those who are going to lose it all along the Gulf coast? It would make more sense than bailing out those greedy bastads on Wall street. Seems we bailed Wall Street out, and they are back to screwing us in the same old manner.

Maybe those CEO's who take hundreds of millions in bonus monies can make a "Love Offering' to those who are in harm's way along the gulf coast? :tongue:

Forum List

Back