Lawyer Layoffs Launched

Mar 5, 2009
Except when you get in trouble and need one, a favorite American pastime is to condemn and ridicule lawyers. Not only have we witnessed a cancerous proliferation of lawyers in our nation, now over 1.1 million, but for a long time all we have heard is how much incredible money most lawyers make. Setting aside public interest lawyers working for the public good, before the economic downturn lawyers fresh out of law school could easily get $150,000 annual starting salaries as associates. Partners in big name firms could make millions a year.

When we also feel anger about government, politicians and lobbyists we know that most of the corrupt, power hungry and largely incompetent elites are lawyers. So now, as so many millions of ordinary Americans are suffering extreme pain and anxiety because of the economic meltdown, we may feel a little joy because many lawyers are losing their jobs, assuming none are family members or friends.

Read the rest of my article at:
Lawyer Layoffs Launched by Joel Hirschhorn

I've had a change of heart. Since I know longer work with lawyers anymore, I miss the bastards. Maybe I'll make few prank phone calls - a little heavy breathing, nothing too creepy.

Nobody will shed any tears over the sudden unemployment of thousands of lawyers. They have fucked average Americans so hard all these years, most probably think, "Who gives a shit. Let 'em dig potatoes."

I have my lawyer on speed dial.

Anyone with a carry permit should.

Lawyers make a decent living, better than most. However it has among the highest negatives of any profession. Check out your local high school, how many are former lawyers, that hated their job?

Average Lawyer Salary

The average lawyer salary varies with experience, location and qualification. But to get an indicative figure of what lawyers are earning, here are some figures. The average lawyer salary in the US was pegged at USD 90,300 p.a. by the Bureau of Labour Statistics. The range spreads from the lower end of about USD 44,500 p.a. to the higher end of over USD 146,000 p.a. The more successful lawyers normally practice privately. However a considerable number of lawyers are hired by the following industries and the average salaries paid to the lawyers are given in brackets – Companies and enterprises: USD131, 900 p.a., Federal government USD 98,800 p.a., Legal services USD 93,900 p.a., Local government USD 69,700 p.a. and State government USD 67,900 p.a. Naturally these are the industries that a successful lawyer would be looking at getting employed if he or she is not in private practice.

Lawyers make a decent living, better than most. However it has among the highest negatives of any profession. Check out your local high school, how many are former lawyers, that hated their job?

Average Lawyer Salary

The average lawyer salary varies with experience, location and qualification. But to get an indicative figure of what lawyers are earning, here are some figures. The average lawyer salary in the US was pegged at USD 90,300 p.a. by the Bureau of Labour Statistics. The range spreads from the lower end of about USD 44,500 p.a. to the higher end of over USD 146,000 p.a. The more successful lawyers normally practice privately. However a considerable number of lawyers are hired by the following industries and the average salaries paid to the lawyers are given in brackets – Companies and enterprises: USD131, 900 p.a., Federal government USD 98,800 p.a., Legal services USD 93,900 p.a., Local government USD 69,700 p.a. and State government USD 67,900 p.a. Naturally these are the industries that a successful lawyer would be looking at getting employed if he or she is not in private practice.

that's actually true. not a very high level of job satisfaction. I think that's because people who really love law think the practice of it is going to be something elevated and philosophically satisfying. But the practice of law can be an entirely different reality.

Average Lawyer Salary

that's actually true. not a very high level of job satisfaction. I think that's because people who really love law think the practice of it is going to be something elevated and philosophically satisfying. But the practice of law can be an entirely different reality.

Agree with that. Interesting they often flow over to high school teaching, rather than college. Albeit my kids went to above average high school, but literally 6 out of 10 instructors were lawyers. Granted, average salary in district $96k.

Lawyers in AP history, English. Also regular history, English, science, math. Too funny.

Lawyers,

Don't knock having them around.

They're useful when you run out of dry firewood.

Better, even than Catholics.

Average Lawyer Salary

Agree with that. Interesting they often flow over to high school teaching, rather than college. Albeit my kids went to above average high school, but literally 6 out of 10 instructors were lawyers. Granted, average salary in district $96k.

Lawyers in AP history, English. Also regular history, English, science, math. Too funny.

funny, yes. but actually with good cause. if you ask someone what they love about the idea of litigation, they'll tell you that they're "people persons" and love public speaking. Then you go to work and you spend most of your time doing research and writing... which is entirely solitary except when you're meeting a client or in court (which you don't get to do for years if you work for a big firm).

so what do you do when you majored in english, or poli sci or history (which I think most of us have) and don't want to use your post graduate degree anymore?

you teach. right?

funny, yes. but actually with good cause. if you ask someone what they love about the idea of litigation, they'll tell you that they're "people persons" and love public speaking. Then you go to work and you spend most of your time doing research and writing... which is entirely solitary except when you're meeting a client or in court (which you don't get to do for years if you work for a big firm).

so what do you do when you majored in english, or poli sci or history (which I think most of us have) and don't want to use your post graduate degree anymore?

you teach. right?

If you're starting out with millions of dollars you go into publishing.

Just until you run out of money, of course.

Then you teach.

you teach. right?
I agree with your implication. Just saying, save $50-75k on law degree.

Forum List

Back