Lawyer, anyone

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Does anyone know a really good lawyer near Seattle WA? One that specializes is special needs would be good. My son is 22 now, and we have not completed the paperwork to become his legal guardians......they are giving us NO help......turns out that waiting list he was on for respite care since 2nd grade? Well, he made it to the top while he was in the adult family home, which they closed last Sept and now they put him back on the bottom of the waiting list......

It's been h*ll. I don't know what to do and I can't seem to get any help. My brother suggested we get a lawyer and get the government to either find him a home or pay us what they would pay a home to care for him since we aren't legally his guardians......I worry that if they assign him a guardian we won't have a say in his care at all.....6 of one, 1/2 doz of the other. Suggestions? Ideas?

Does anyone know a really good lawyer near Seattle WA? One that specializes is special needs would be good. My son is 22 now, and we have not completed the paperwork to become his legal guardians......they are giving us NO help......turns out that waiting list he was on for respite care since 2nd grade? Well, he made it to the top while he was in the adult family home, which they closed last Sept and now they put him back on the bottom of the waiting list......

It's been h*ll. I don't know what to do and I can't seem to get any help. My brother suggested we get a lawyer and get the government to either find him a home or pay us what they would pay a home to care for him since we aren't legally his guardians......I worry that if they assign him a guardian we won't have a say in his care at all.....6 of one, 1/2 doz of the other. Suggestions? Ideas?

most local bar associations have referral services. call yours, tell them the area of expertise you require and they should give you a few names.

Good luck.

This is probably preaching to a choir, but I think it would be a good idea too get yourselves appointed as his legal guardian first - that gives you a lot more say in what happens. Are there any support groups for people with his sort of disability? My mother had too set up a trust to help with my brother's care for life, as he is permanently disabled and though he lives independently, he does require help and some monitoring. In her case she was able to get a great deal of advice through NAMI, including some legal advice on what avenues to go down.

This is probably preaching to a choir, but I think it would be a good idea too get yourselves appointed as his legal guardian first - that gives you a lot more say in what happens. Are there any support groups for people with his sort of disability? My mother had too set up a trust to help with my brother's care for life, as he is permanently disabled and though he lives independently, he does require help and some monitoring. In her case she was able to get a great deal of advice through NAMI, including some legal advice on what avenues to go down.

Like I said, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, if we are his guardians, we have a say in where he goes, if we aren't his guardians, the state is responsible for finding a place for him or paying us what they would someone else. What's NAMI?

most local bar associations have referral services. call yours, tell them the area of expertise you require and they should give you a few names.

Good luck.

Nice advise, Jillian! GEEZ!!!!

Telling someone who needs assitance to go to the local bar???

You realize that we're not talking about roomy or Frogen!

Like I said, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, if we are his guardians, we have a say in where he goes, if we aren't his guardians, the state is responsible for finding a place for him or paying us what they would someone else. What's NAMI?

Sounds like being between a rock and hard place :( NAMI is National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy) which covers my brother's disability. Some of these organizations can find help in the form of advocates for your son if you aren't his guardian.

Good luck.

local bar "association" dahlink... not local bar... lol.

:whip:

Good luck.

:clap2::clap2::lol:

Forum List

Back