Lawsuits bankrupting Catholic Church

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041228/lf_nm/religion_abuse_money_dc

Could the immortality of a few priests cause the fall of the Catholics Church where Protestant reformers failed?

The immorality of the church was not limited to a few priests as you suggest. Immorality was systemic within the Catholic church.

Yes, the homosexual abuse which has been documented over and over was limited to a few. But the coverup which followed required the willing cooperation of a much greater portion of the priesthood. As far as I'm concerned, those who chose to protect deviant priests were just as immoral as those who were involved personally. Those who sought to discredit and destroy the accusers are even more despicable than all the rest.

The situation would have been different had the Catholic church dealt openly and honestly with the problem of homosexual and/or pedophile priests. But like the tobacco companies, the church denied the problem and tried to cover it up.

So as far as I'm concerned, if the Catholic church goes bankrupt, it will be getting exactly what it deserves.

Merlin1047 said:
The immorality of the church was not limited to a few priests as you suggest. Immorality was systemic within the Catholic church.

Yes, the homosexual abuse which has been documented over and over was limited to a few. But the coverup which followed required the willing cooperation of a much greater portion of the priesthood. As far as I'm concerned, those who chose to protect deviant priests were just as immoral as those who were involved personally. Those who sought to discredit and destroy the accusers are even more despicable than all the rest.

The situation would have been different had the Catholic church dealt openly and honestly with the problem of homosexual and/or pedophile priests. But like the tobacco companies, the church denied the problem and tried to cover it up.

So as far as I'm concerned, if the Catholic church goes bankrupt, it will be getting exactly what it deserves.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The only frightening question is for how long did this go on? How many children were abused in this appalling deceit? Who and how many priests and others help cover it up? Is there a paper trail like the tobacco companies?

It is so sad that the good works of so many will likely evaporate because of the Church's sins.

Forum List

Back