Lawmakers Reach Farm Bill Deal by Dumping GOP Food-Stamp Rules

[QUOTE="deanrd, post: 21289638, member: 63247”]Republicans are running scared. They know if they keep screwing over Americans, there will be a Blue Tsunami in two years.[/QUOTE]

Just adding more names to my list of Republicans who I will never vote for. I’m sorry but lack of a spine or moral compass is a disqualifying factor for me.

A more rounded article, it is tentative, and no one is telling what the details are-

“We’re pleased to announce that we’ve reached an agreement in principle on the 2018 Farm Bill. We are working to finalize legal and report language as well as CBO scores, but we still have more work to do,” said leaders of the Senate and House’s agriculture committees in a joint statement.

“CBO scores” refer to the Congressional Budget Office’s cost estimates, which could show the measure will cost nearly $900 billion over a decade.

The lawmakers behind Thursday’s joint statement were two Republicans — Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts and Texas Rep. Mike Conaway, who chair the Senate and House’s agriculture committees — and two Democrats — Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow and Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson, ranking members of those committees.

Stumbling blocks in negotiations over the farm bill have included how to handle the Republican-controlled House’s push for stricter work requirements for recipients of food stamps, also known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. The push looks likely to have largely come up short, given that key Democrat Stabenow, who has opposed SNAP cuts, reportedly said the bill’s approach is “something that I support. I’ll leave it at that.”

Lawmakers and aides were staying tight-lipped on the agreement’s specifics, according to multiple published reports.
Deal on farm bill reached — and may avoid controversial moves on food stamps, logging

The post belongs in the political forum but bill has such a long way to go that it is presumptive for the crazy left to do a victory dance at this point.

Forum List

Back