Lawmakers ban picketing of funerals in Arizona

I don't agree with you on this one. I feel it falls in the same realm as yelling fire in a theatre.

I could give a shit what it falls under..and one could make a case it is prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

This is something no human being should be asked to do..and that is..not to protest a funeral.

It's as a solemn event as your going to get in Human culture..all of them.

People in mourning deserve..well..have the absolute right..to mourn without "the noise" and in peace.

This is something so basic..it never should need to be legislated.

They have agreed to NOT protest the little girl's funeral...but ONLY in exchange for free air time on local radio and TV.

Furthermore, they still will protest at the other 5 funerals.

What does that tell you about these people?

That they're attention whoring assholes, of course. But we already knew that.

They can say anything they like, mani. They just can't say it to the mourners face to face with spittle landing on them. Do you seriously believe any of us "needs" a right to disrupt funerals? Why's it so threatening to you to move them back, away from the mourners?

I believe that can be accomplished without enacting any new laws.

Hasn't this been heard by the Supreme Court? And, didn't Westboro win? :eusa_eh: no one on the left gave a shit when it was soldeirs they were picketing and dishonoring. chickens are coming home to roost rev. bullfrog..
You're such a liar. Everyone on this message board condemns them...with one exception. You. :eusa_shhh:

I could give a shit what it falls under..and one could make a case it is prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

This is something no human being should be asked to do..and that is..not to protest a funeral.

It's as a solemn event as your going to get in Human culture..all of them.

People in mourning deserve..well..have the absolute right..to mourn without "the noise" and in peace.

This is something so basic..it never should need to be legislated.

They have agreed to NOT protest the little girl's funeral...but ONLY in exchange for free air time on local radio and TV.

Furthermore, they still will protest at the other 5 funerals.

What does that tell you about these people?

That they're attention whoring assholes, of course. But we already knew that.

yep..and willing to compromise their convictions for some free stuff.

Hasn't this been heard by the Supreme Court? And, didn't Westboro win? :eusa_eh: no one on the left gave a shit when it was soldeirs they were picketing and dishonoring. chickens are coming home to roost rev. bullfrog..
You're such a liar. Everyone on this message board condemns them...with one exception. You. :eusa_shhh:

I have yet to see anyone on the left support these animals.

Outraged at the news that members of the tiny Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., will try to get attention for their anti-abortion views by protesting outside the funerals of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green and the five others killed in Saturday's Arizona shooting rampage, people in Tucson and local lawmakers there are organizing to counter any such actions.

CNN reports that there are plans for an "angel action." Volunteers will wear "8- by 10-foot 'angel wings' ... to shield mourners from pickets." The funerals begin Thursday.

'Angels' Will Counter Westboro Baptist Protests At Arizona Victims' Funerals : The Two-Way : NPR

:clap2:

Now the Westboro idiots have said they will not picket the funeral of the little girl in exchange for air time on a radio show and evidently some radio show has given in.
Gee.....blackmail....how creative.

How amusing it'd be, if the radio-station did a MONSTRO-PROMO, then.....right as the Westboros start their screed.....the mic "coincidentally" goes dead.

:lol:

This is a clear violation of the First Amendment and should be overturned in court. As much as I agree with all of you that the practices of the Westboro Baptist Church are vile, passing laws like this is how we start down the road to government taking our rights away piece by piece. Today it's banning wacko funeral protesters, but what will the new problem be tomorrow?

I agree and support Freedom Riders that protect funerals from the whack jobs like WBC. Baseball bat to the head works for me.
Arizona and their lazy legislators copied the Missouri law which has already been ruled unconstitutional.
Wannabe conservatives do not care. Ideology means more than the law.

Such violent rhetoric. someone reading this may actually hit someone with a baseball bat and then it'll be all your fault.

They can say anything they like, mani. They just can't say it to the mourners face to face with spittle landing on them. Do you seriously believe any of us "needs" a right to disrupt funerals? Why's it so threatening to you to move them back, away from the mourners?

BS Willow. I know many of the Freedom Riders.
Politics is not their thing. Democrats and Republicans and all in between.

Nope, when these freaks were picketing the funerals of soldiers the liberals upheld the "free speech" doctrine..

Nope, when these freaks were picketing the funerals of soldiers the liberals upheld the "free speech" doctrine..

As I would too.
But it does not mean I condone their actions.

Acknowledging that speech rights have to be protected and balanced against the intended audience's rights even in this case is different from support of their cause, Willow.

A narrowly crafted, mandatory buffer zone around funerals is the best compromise, it's well within the current First Amendment framework and doesn't create any new restrictions on speech, and in Mr. Matthews' own words as he testified in his court case against the WBC it works.

So what's the big deal here?

WBC are liberals and only liberals want free speech.
Not in the real world Willow.

That simply is not true, WillyT. Please stop using this to beat up on liberals. They are equally as outraged as you are. It is not a competition to see who can be more offended by WBC.

As I would too.

I don't condone their actions either. but neither am I willing to give up a liberty to shut them up.

That simply is not true, WillyT. Please stop using this to beat up on liberals. They are equally as outraged as you are. It is not a competition to see who can be more offended by WBC.

It is true. I've been in this conversation before with liberals when the subject was picketing the soldiers funerals and their answer always was.. Free Speech. Please don't pretend I don't know what I'm saying. I wouldn't say it if I had not experienced it.

As I would too.

I don't condone their actions either. but neither am I willing to give up a liberty to shut them up.

Exactly my point.

If someone were to come on here and say that they have no right to do it and say they should be forbidden from doing it, I will immeidately say they have every legal right in the world to do it. Moral right? That is for them to decide for themselves....but as for me it is immoral.

So yes, the left cited freedom of speech when we were discussing the protests of fallen brothers and sisters...but so were those on the right.

Forum List

Back