Lawmaker Wants 'French' Back in Fries

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
*** With terrorism, economy, Iraq, crime, hurricanes - don't they have anything better to discuss? I hope this bitch DIES! ***

WASHINGTON - With America needing all the help it can get in Iraq, it's time to swallow our pride and give the French back their fries, a House lawmaker said in a letter to her colleagues.

House Republican leaders last March, angered by French opposition to U.S. plans to take military action against Iraq, ordered that all restaurants in the House replace the french fries on their menus with "freedom fries." But now, said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, we need to bring the French back to the table.

"President Bush is now urging that all parties put aside 'past bickering.' Delays in rebuilding international good will are costing Americans lives in Iraq, and billions of dollars to the American taxpayers," Lee wrote last week in a letter first reported by the congressional newspaper Roll Call. "A symbolic start to that effort would be reinstating foods in the House cafeterias and dining halls and their traditional 'American' names — french toast and french fries."

The House should show civility and respect as Secretary of State Colin Powell embarks on the difficult task of garnering international support for efforts to stabilize Iraq, Jackson Lee said, adding that the President's chef, "after months of dodging the question," recently acknowledged to the chefs of other world heads of state that french fries were never taken off the White House menu.

But House Administration Committee Chairman Bob Ney, R-Ohio, who initiated the menu change with Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., said they'll continue to fight for their freedom fries.

Ney said that the day after Jackson Lee wrote her letter the French came out with an untenable timetable for elections in Iraq, confounding U.S. efforts to win United Nations backing for the reconstruction effort. "They were noncooperative and arrogant then," before the war, "and they are again noncooperative and arrogant," Ney said. "I haven't seen a huge change."

Ney said that was originally a gesture toward the French "has become an international food fight. It means something to a lot of people."

"The whole premise behind the gesture was to support our troops in Iraq," said Lanier Swann, spokeswoman for Jones. "The congressional passion in support of them has not waned and the French position has not changed."

LOL, indeed some lawmakers seem to be busy.

Oh well, there is one way to solve the dilemma, call em chips, like the british do

*** With terrorism, economy, Iraq, crime, hurricanes - don't they have anything better to discuss? I hope this bitch DIES! ***

Just out of curiosity, jim, did you say the same thing when they changed it in the first place? I agree, they ought to have more pressing things to think about, then as now.

-Bry

Originally posted by Bry
Just out of curiosity, jim, did you say the same thing when they changed it in the first place? I agree, they ought to have more pressing things to think about, then as now.

-Bry

Actually, no, you got me on that one! I guess I was a bit biased in my views. I still think she's a bitch though. :D

Originally posted by jimnyc

WASHINGTON - With America needing all the help it can get in Iraq, it's time to swallow our pride and give the French back their fries, a House lawmaker said in a letter to her colleagues.

Why so bitter? THe whole issue of "Freedom Fries" vs "French fries" , which were named after a guy with the last name "French", simply showed how utterly insipid, shallow and callow many of our legislators are.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Why so bitter? THe whole issue of "Freedom Fries" vs "French fries" , which were named after a guy with the last name "French", simply showed how utterly insipid, shallow and callow many of our legislators are.

Sorry, you are wrong. Did you find that tidbit on Snopes? The history of the potato goes back over 2000 years and was first brought to France in the 1700's. In 1840, IN PARIS, they came out with the first version known as "fried potatoes". They quickly spread to America and in the 1930's were renamed to french fries. The person responsible for bringing the 'potato' to France was an army officer named Parmentier.

THe whole issue of "Freedom Fries" vs "French fries", simply shows how utterly insipid, shallow and callow many of our legislators are.

;)

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
THe whole issue of "Freedom Fries" vs "French fries", simply shows how utterly insipid, shallow and callow many of our legislators are.

;)

You shy away that easily? What about your claim that "french fries" came from a man with the last name of French. Why did you make that claim?

You shy away that easily? What about your claim that "french fries" came from a man with the last name of French. Why did you make that claim?

Heard it some where, don't play "Trivial Pursuit".

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Jim, you're such a weenie when you win :p:

Nah, I just thought it was stupid to open up a 3 month old thread to throw in incorrect information. :D

Sorry, you are wrong. Did you find that tidbit on Snopes? The history of the potato goes back over 2000 years and was first brought to France in the 1700's. In 1840, IN PARIS, they came out with the first version known as "fried potatoes". They quickly spread to America and in the 1930's were renamed to french fries. The person responsible for bringing the 'potato' to France was an army officer named Parmentier.
I believe that Thomas Jefferson was responsible for the name "french fries" after he put it on an official menu as "potatoes fried in the french manner" or some such. He sure didn't have the last name french.

I think we're all better off when career pols spend their time on nonsense such as this. It distracts them from spending our money.

how about fried potatoes? that what they are, lets call a spade a spade.... what do you call boiled potatoes? or baked potatoes? you are right though WW let em bicker over this a bit ...the only thing wasting is the wages we pay em.:D

Everone in the world thought those who renamed French fries Freedom fries were childish, as simple as that!!

Originally posted by arnoldlayne
Everone in the world thought those who renamed French fries Freedom fries were childish, as simple as that!!

Or Patriotic in a time when we needed it? They're sure as hell Freedom Fries in MY house, and I could care less who thinks I'm childish!!

yeah a very basic crude form of patriotism!! It made the world chuckle and made some feel proud, so it was a harmless thing really!

crude form of patriotism? It IS patriotism to ME, and that is what's important! I could give a rat's ass who chuckled! America seems to be the blunt of many jokes worldwide and that didn't start with "Freedom Fries"!
This is just something else to complain about.

Forum List

Back