Lawmaker attacks 'racist' Bush policy

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Another candidate to be shipped out to international waters

In a closed-door Capitol Hill briefing on the Haiti crisis today, U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown, D-Fla., blasted President Bush for a"racist" policy toward the Caribbean nation carried out by a "bunch of white men."

Brown was speaking to Assistant Secretary of State Roger Noriega, the State Department's top official for Latin America.

Noriega, who was sitting across the table from Brown when she yelled her remarks into a microphone, later responded, according to the Associated Press: "As a Mexican-American, I deeply resent being called a racist and branded a white man."

Three participants in the meeting said Brown then told Noriega "you all look alike to me."

Noriega told Brown he would pass on her comments to Secretary of State Colin Powell and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, who are black, "the next time I run into them."

In an interview with WJXT-TV in Jacksonville, Brown apologized.

"It wasn't meant to be a racist comment," she said. "I was speaking of the delegation that came over from the State Department. They brought no females; no one of color came over in that group. Based on the presentations, it was totally insensitive to the government of Haiti."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37321

Ah, where to begin.

1. "Bunches of white men." Well, we do have our faults, but we have demonstrated an ability to do one thing: institute and run stable governments that see peaceful transitions of power. "Bunches of black men" have done no such thing, either in Haiti or Africa.

2. The Mexican-American resented being "branded" as a white man. Should we be offended, in turn, by this? Who you callin' a white man? Sheeeet, boy, I ain't no white man! That calling someone a "white man" ranks as an insult should tell you something about the way the world works today. Problem is, most white men are too busy trying to curry favor with the likes of Corinne Brown that they just don't notice.

3. Hmmm, an inappropriately gender-and-race diverse delegation, offensive to the black woman from Florida. Well, wait a minute. The white men actually offended her? So who's the racist here?

4. A plan insensitive to Haiti. Ah, yes. Because big gooey doses of sensitivity is what they need right now.

Forum List

Back