law ?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by sam111, Feb 10, 2012.

1. sam111

sam111 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am wondering about the laws of are government.
    FDsys - Browse USCODE

Is the above link all the laws of are federal/country laws.

And if you are living under a state say like Connecticut would the only enforceable laws
    Be the fedreral/country laws on my link and the state/town laws on the state/town website.

I am trying to get a current way to have all the enforceable laws for a particular place or at least away to look up all the current enforceable laws that apply to somebody in a particular place of the US.

For example would if I was to learn all the current laws on the federal link and all the current laws on the CT state website , as well as all the town laws for a particular town in CT.
    Would I be safe to say that I would beable to fully know all the current applicable laws for a particular person living in that area (that are enforceable) currently

Or is their some other places other then the federal (GPO) , state , and town websites that contain other laws that are not covered under those websites that are still applicable?

Forget about regulations (I know they are enforceable in some cases but I am not interested in them right now just laws that are enforceable. )
    And away to look up all the current enforceable laws fast and know that I got all of them.

This is important because I am think about becoming a lawyer and I want to know the laws and make sure I understand them all. Or at least all the current 2010 and below ones and at least have an easy way to obtain the new laws each year.

Maybe somebody knows

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    That's easy. Go to the nearest major law library. Not one that has just the state laws, but a major law library with state, federal and local ordinances. Start in the basement with the stack nearest the door, take the first book and start reading. You will end up depending on the square footage footprint, on the third floor or thereabouts.

Updates are given yearly, and automatically provided to subscribers.

Or, there is an alternative. Sign up to a subscriber service, Lexis/Nexus, Westlaw, Loislaw are some that come to mind. Pay your monthly fee and the entire searchable data base will be yours.

3. sam111

sam111 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I am not interested in going to a law library every time I want to look thru all the laws.
    Kind of wanted a free online way that is easy to have all the federal , state , town laws all in one... Or at least all the federal , and state laws all in one.

How much is it?
    And is their a free one if not which one do you recommend as the best one to use.
    In terms of easy of use ,...etc

4. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Too sick for a cure

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +772
    FYI, Lexis/Nexis and Westlaw are ridiculously expensive. The advantage is that they are accurate almost up to the minute, whereas the pocket parts for the actual US code books are done on a monthly (I think) basis.

As to the question of what all the laws are for a particular jurisdiction, basically they are the entire US code, all of the common law of the United State Supreme Court back to 1789, English common law prior to 1789 to the extent that it does not contradict US legislation or the Constitution, the common law of the federal district court in which one resides, the entirety of the statutes and common law of the state within which one resides, and the statutes promulgated by the sub-state political divisions (counties, cities) within which one resides. However, if you live in Louisiana, the state system is set up under the Napoleonic code, and it's like traveling to Bizarro World as far as laws are concerned.

So anyway, good luck getting all that stuff together.

5. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    The fucking politicians don't even know how many new laws they pass every year never mind how many archaic and just plain old stupid laws are still on the books so good luck.

6. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    FINDLAW is free; but you'll only find state and Federal statutes, codes, and administrative law. For local laws, you'll need to go the locality, not all are online. Many states have laws posted on legislative websites also.

7. sam111

sam111 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well , I find it almost impossible to argue a case perfectly with out knowing all the laws applicable for a particular case.... but it has been going on like this forever so maybe it's just me. :eusa_whistle:

Anyway if the congress , states , towns ,...are making laws that are not all known then how do they even know if their making a law that contradicts another law ?

Point being it seems when you make up to many laws or don't have a centralized way to look up all the laws quick to see if their is any laws that contradict.... seems law is basically very pointless at that point :eusa_whistle:

But the sad thing is that maybe that is the best way if we cann't find a third party different from the human race that can interpreted the law for use with no biased and in away that everybody deems fair way of analysis.

The good think is their are some good lawyers out their that defend and whose beliefs are in the best interested of the clients. (very few but some exist thank god for that)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    You will know by checking state & federal; as I wrote, FINDLAW has these for free. Local ordinances are subject to state & federal laws, thus are subordinate. SOME cities post ordinances online also. But looking through different volumes of books, and sources, is PART OF law school.

The main online source when I was in law school was WestLaw, now my state has a free cite for attorneys online. Sharing is prohibited, but city ordinances are not tough to find IF online. I recently had to search for some city of Jacksonville, Florida ordinances; all were online, and there were email addresses of those who could assist with questions.

9. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    You just described CONFLICT OF LAWS, you'll learn about that soon. There ARE conflicting laws at every level.

10. sam111

sam111 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then what they hell good is it to have law if the law conflicts.

In math it would be like having a proof that isn't really a proof.

If lawyers have to take an O'th that O'th is really based on opinion and interpretation / belief on laws that are not sound.

Any case I guess the best thing lawyers can do is "Do the moral , ethicial , religious , or right think in his eyes (hopefully he is a good person)" And put on a good show so that most of the jury members like it enough to believe him (so he wins the case)

Don't get me wrong their are other factors that sell the jury members if you want to put it interms of marketing. ( like some times the truth , fairness , etc )

Mostly though it is sad to say the show out weighs the truth or even whats fair alot of the times.

Thanks I will try FINDLAW....
    Do you recommend an other law books as a must read for law.
    I took the LSAT and did very good... curious what I should be looking into next

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012