law ?

sam111

Jan 26, 2012
I am wondering about the laws of are government.
FDsys - Browse USCODE

Is the above link all the laws of are federal/country laws.

And if you are living under a state say like Connecticut would the only enforceable laws
Be the fedreral/country laws on my link and the state/town laws on the state/town website.

I am trying to get a current way to have all the enforceable laws for a particular place or at least away to look up all the current enforceable laws that apply to somebody in a particular place of the US.

For example would if I was to learn all the current laws on the federal link and all the current laws on the CT state website , as well as all the town laws for a particular town in CT.
Would I be safe to say that I would beable to fully know all the current applicable laws for a particular person living in that area (that are enforceable) currently

Or is their some other places other then the federal (GPO) , state , and town websites that contain other laws that are not covered under those websites that are still applicable?

Forget about regulations (I know they are enforceable in some cases but I am not interested in them right now just laws that are enforceable. )
And away to look up all the current enforceable laws fast and know that I got all of them.

This is important because I am think about becoming a lawyer and I want to know the laws and make sure I understand them all. Or at least all the current 2010 and below ones and at least have an easy way to obtain the new laws each year.

Maybe somebody knows

Last edited:
That's easy. Go to the nearest major law library. Not one that has just the state laws, but a major law library with state, federal and local ordinances. Start in the basement with the stack nearest the door, take the first book and start reading. You will end up depending on the square footage footprint, on the third floor or thereabouts.

Updates are given yearly, and automatically provided to subscribers.

Or, there is an alternative. Sign up to a subscriber service, Lexis/Nexus, Westlaw, Loislaw are some that come to mind. Pay your monthly fee and the entire searchable data base will be yours.

Well, I am not interested in going to a law library every time I want to look thru all the laws.
Kind of wanted a free online way that is easy to have all the federal , state , town laws all in one... Or at least all the federal , and state laws all in one.

Or, there is an alternative. Sign up to a subscriber service, Lexis/Nexus, Westlaw, Loislaw are some that come to mind. Pay your monthly fee and the entire searchable data base will be yours.

How much is it?
And is their a free one if not which one do you recommend as the best one to use.
In terms of easy of use ,...etc

Well, I am not interested in going to a law library every time I want to look thru all the laws.
Kind of wanted a free online way that is easy to have all the federal , state , town laws all in one... Or at least all the federal , and state laws all in one.

How much is it?
And is their a free one if not which one do you recommend as the best one to use.
FYI, Lexis/Nexis and Westlaw are ridiculously expensive. The advantage is that they are accurate almost up to the minute, whereas the pocket parts for the actual US code books are done on a monthly (I think) basis.

As to the question of what all the laws are for a particular jurisdiction, basically they are the entire US code, all of the common law of the United State Supreme Court back to 1789, English common law prior to 1789 to the extent that it does not contradict US legislation or the Constitution, the common law of the federal district court in which one resides, the entirety of the statutes and common law of the state within which one resides, and the statutes promulgated by the sub-state political divisions (counties, cities) within which one resides. However, if you live in Louisiana, the state system is set up under the Napoleonic code, and it's like traveling to Bizarro World as far as laws are concerned.

So anyway, good luck getting all that stuff together.

How much is it?

The fucking politicians don't even know how many new laws they pass every year never mind how many archaic and just plain old stupid laws are still on the books so good luck.

How much is it?
FYI, Lexis/Nexis and Westlaw are ridiculously expensive. The advantage is that they are accurate almost up to the minute, whereas the pocket parts for the actual US code books are done on a monthly (I think) basis.

As to the question of what all the laws are for a particular jurisdiction, basically they are the entire US code, all of the common law of the United State Supreme Court back to 1789, English common law prior to 1789 to the extent that it does not contradict US legislation or the Constitution, the common law of the federal district court in which one resides, the entirety of the statutes and common law of the state within which one resides, and the statutes promulgated by the sub-state political divisions (counties, cities) within which one resides. However, if you live in Louisiana, the state system is set up under the Napoleonic code, and it's like traveling to Bizarro World as far as laws are concerned.

So anyway, good luck getting all that stuff together.
FINDLAW is free; but you'll only find state and Federal statutes, codes, and administrative law. For local laws, you'll need to go the locality, not all are online. Many states have laws posted on legislative websites also.

Well , I find it almost impossible to argue a case perfectly with out knowing all the laws applicable for a particular case.... but it has been going on like this forever so maybe it's just me. :eusa_whistle:

Anyway if the congress , states , towns ,...are making laws that are not all known then how do they even know if their making a law that contradicts another law ?

Point being it seems when you make up to many laws or don't have a centralized way to look up all the laws quick to see if their is any laws that contradict.... seems law is basically very pointless at that point :eusa_whistle:

the laws are made so screwed up in numbers and generality that eventually law , fairness ,...etc becomes up to interpretation of the judicial systems members which is biased at best in may cases....
Point being if you have to go to court the choice is really up to how the law is interpreted to be meant which by the people doing it would be biased based on some beliefs and opinions

:cuckoo:

But the sad thing is that maybe that is the best way if we cann't find a third party different from the human race that can interpreted the law for use with no biased and in away that everybody deems fair way of analysis.

The good think is their are some good lawyers out their that defend and whose beliefs are in the best interested of the clients. (very few but some exist thank god for that)

Last edited:
Well , I find it almost impossible to argue a case perfectly with out knowing all the laws applicable for a particular case.... but it has been going on like this forever so maybe it's just me. :eusa_whistle:

Anyway if the congress , states , towns ,...are making laws that are not all known then how do they even know if their making a law that contradicts another law ?

Point being it seems when you make up to many laws or don't have a centralized way to look up all the laws quick to see if their is any laws that contradict.... seems law is basically very pointless at that point :eusa_whistle:

the laws are made so screwed up in numbers and generality that eventually law , fairness ,...etc becomes up to interpretation of the judicial systems members which is biased at best in may cases....
Point being if you have to go to court the choice is really up to how the law is interpreted to be meant which by the people doing it would be biased based on some beliefs and opinions

But the sad thing is that maybe that is the best way if we cann't find a third party different from the human race that can interpreted the law for use with no biased and in away that everybody deems fair way of analysis.

The good think is their are some good lawyers out their that defend and whose beliefs are in the best interested of the clients. (very few but some exist thank god for that)
You will know by checking state & federal; as I wrote, FINDLAW has these for free. Local ordinances are subject to state & federal laws, thus are subordinate. SOME cities post ordinances online also. But looking through different volumes of books, and sources, is PART OF law school.

The main online source when I was in law school was WestLaw, now my state has a free cite for attorneys online. Sharing is prohibited, but city ordinances are not tough to find IF online. I recently had to search for some city of Jacksonville, Florida ordinances; all were online, and there were email addresses of those who could assist with questions.

You will know by checking state & federal; as I wrote, FINDLAW has these for free. Local ordinances are subject to state & federal laws, thus are subordinate. SOME cities post ordinances online also. But looking through different volumes of books, and sources, is PART OF law school.

The main online source when I was in law school was WestLaw, now my state has a free cite for attorneys online. Sharing is prohibited, but city ordinances are not tough to find IF online. I recently had to search for some city of Jacksonville, Florida ordinances; all were online, and there were email addresses of those who could assist with questions.
You just described CONFLICT OF LAWS, you'll learn about that soon. There ARE conflicting laws at every level.

Then what they hell good is it to have law if the law conflicts.

In math it would be like having a proof that isn't really a proof.

If lawyers have to take an O'th that O'th is really based on opinion and interpretation / belief on laws that are not sound.

Any case I guess the best thing lawyers can do is "Do the moral , ethicial , religious , or right think in his eyes (hopefully he is a good person)" And put on a good show so that most of the jury members like it enough to believe him (so he wins the case)

Don't get me wrong their are other factors that sell the jury members if you want to put it interms of marketing. ( like some times the truth , fairness , etc )

Mostly though it is sad to say the show out weighs the truth or even whats fair alot of the times.

Thanks I will try FINDLAW....
Do you recommend an other law books as a must read for law.
I took the LSAT and did very good... curious what I should be looking into next

Last edited:
Then what they hell good is it to have law if the law conflicts.

In math it would be like having a proof that isn't really a proof.

If lawyers have to take an O'th that O'th is really based on opinion and interpretation / belief on laws that are not sound.

Any case I guess the best thing lawyers can do is "Do the moral , ethicial , religious , or right think in his eyes (hopefully he is a good person)" And put on a good show so that most of the jury members like it enough to believe him (so he wins the case)

Don't get me wrong their are other factors that sell the jury members if you want to put it interms of marketing. ( like some times the truth , fairness , etc )

Mostly though it is sad to say the show out weighs the truth or even whats fair alot of the times.

Thanks I will try FINDLAW....
Do you recommend an other law books as a must read for law.
I took the LSAT and did very good... curious what I should be looking into next
Try your state's STATUTES or CODES Annotated; important cases are listed by statute or code number. Also, there is always Shepard's. THAT can be a big waste of time. Shepard's lists cites for every case that mentions a law or other cases, there are two different volumes per state. A fully stocked law library is best, but they are few and far between these days.

Try your state's STATUTES or CODES Annotated

Is their a place where you can look these things up as well "online"?

Questions 2
Is knowing alot of the laws , important cases, as well as being able to present/public speak well, and the ability to argue/persuade. 90% percent of being a good lawyer?

Can anybody think of any other ability that is required to be a good lawyer. (a part from also attention to details )

Also as I peruse this career I am just wondering what all of the major qualities/body of knowledge I should obtain to become the best lawyer I can.

Question 3)
How do people get to be judges ... are they all chosen from years of practicing good law as a lawyer . Or can somebody study to become a judge instead of a lawyer?

For example who determines if the people or worth of being a judge.
Take for example the supreme court judges?

Try your state's STATUTES or CODES Annotated

Is their a place where you can look these things up as well "online"?

Questions 2
Is knowing alot of the laws , important cases, as well as being able to present/public speak well, and the ability to argue/persuade. 90% percent of being a good lawyer?

Can anybody think of any other ability that is required to be a good lawyer. (a part from also attention to details )

Also as I peruse this career I am just wondering what all of the major qualities/body of knowledge I should obtain to become the best lawyer I can.

Question 3)
How do people get to be judges ... are they all chosen from years of practicing good law as a lawyer . Or can somebody study to become a judge instead of a lawyer?

For example who determines if the people or worth of being a judge.
Take for example the supreme court judges?
1. Annotated Statutes/Codes cost money. You should be able to find state case law on Findlaw. Your state's laws should be available at the state legislature website. Go to Findlaw first & see what they have for your state.

2. Getting through law school & passing the Bar should come before planning your practice.

3. In my state, appointment by the Governor or by election; one must be an attorney to be a judge.

I am wondering about the laws of are government.
FDsys - Browse USCODE

Is the above link all the laws of are federal/country laws.

And if you are living under a state say like Connecticut would the only enforceable laws
Be the fedreral/country laws on my link and the state/town laws on the state/town website.

I am trying to get a current way to have all the enforceable laws for a particular place or at least away to look up all the current enforceable laws that apply to somebody in a particular place of the US.

For example would if I was to learn all the current laws on the federal link and all the current laws on the CT state website , as well as all the town laws for a particular town in CT.
Would I be safe to say that I would beable to fully know all the current applicable laws for a particular person living in that area (that are enforceable) currently

Or is their some other places other then the federal (GPO) , state , and town websites that contain other laws that are not covered under those websites that are still applicable?

Forget about regulations (I know they are enforceable in some cases but I am not interested in them right now just laws that are enforceable. )
And away to look up all the current enforceable laws fast and know that I got all of them.

This is important because I am think about becoming a lawyer and I want to know the laws and make sure I understand them all. Or at least all the current 2010 and below ones and at least have an easy way to obtain the new laws each year.

Maybe somebody knows

I recommend Remedial Writing first! Or were you planning to bypass law school and the bar exam?

I am also wondering what are all the people/companies/organizations that are allowed to create
enforceable regulations.

And is their a place similar to where I can get the enforceable laws for the enforceable regulations ?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back