Law vs Political Power

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Just for discussion..

Should government continue to be allowed to set up different rules for themselves than the public and avoid spending time behind bars?

I'm thinking they have proved that they can no longer be trusted...

Last edited:
Just for discussion..

Should government continue to be allowed to set up different rules for themselves than the public and avoid spending time behind bars?

Nope. The Constitution is pretty clear on that. To do otherwise is to invite outright open hostility and eventual revolution. The people don't like elitists, and when the government sets itself apart like this it is inviting disaster, and they will deserve it!

This is an example of my latest peeve...

...and it's bi-partisan, this, they can agree on...:eek:

------------------:evil:

Imagine that you are an elected member of the United States House of Representatives in the middle of the debate on the health-care reform act that was passed in 2010. In a House committee meeting, you learn before anyone else that a proposed public-insurance option - a program that would compete with private insurance - will not be included. This information will have a large impact on health-care companies’ stock prices. Can you trade these companies’ shares before it is made public?

Morally, it is difficult to separate this example from traditional cases of corporate insider trading. Yet no law prohibits the practice. The U.S. Congress - the legislative branch of the country’s government - effectively exempts itself from the normal rules of insider trading. Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court are the only federal agencies whose employees may, without restrictions, trade stocks based on non-public information. All other U.S. government employees who traded on privileged information of the type described above would be acting illegally.

Not only can members of Congress legally trade on confidential information; they do, despite the potential cost to their reputations. The U.S. television program 60 Minutes recently reported that several current members of Congress allegedly used confidential information that they acquired on the job for personal gain. While the nexus between the privileged information and the trading is difficult to prove (as it is in most insider trading cases), the timing is highly suspicious.

Why Congress can freely trade on insider information – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Just for discussion..

Nope. The Constitution is pretty clear on that. To do otherwise is to invite outright open hostility and eventual revolution. The people don't like elitists, and when the government sets itself apart like this it is inviting disaster, and they will deserve it!
All the men in my mother's family and her husband (my Dad) went to war on December 8, 1941, all volunteers. They served a grueling four years there. I was a boomer, and I have no way of knowing what other people taught their children, but if my family agreed on anything, it was American etiquette. First, you were as good as anybody ever elected to high office. Second, you are required to do your fair share of the work. Third, you bow to nobody because you are an American, and your ancestors fought to get you out of the system that requires bowing to human beings. You just don't ever do that for any reason. Period, end of story.

That said, I think it's an honor to be a Representative or a Senator, but they have a lot on them. They have to approach and be approached by people who provide jobs to thousands, who provide prosperity to their sundry states. That may mean that if you have a problem that only affects yourself or a member of your family, you may have to wait a week or two for a reply from even an assistant. Still in all, though, they are servants of the people. The day they become our masters is the day we no longer have a Bill of Rights.

Just for discussion..

All the men in my mother's family and her husband (my Dad) went to war on December 8, 1941, all volunteers. They served a grueling four years there. I was a boomer, and I have no way of knowing what other people taught their children, but if my family agreed on anything, it was American etiquette. First, you were as good as anybody ever elected to high office. Second, you are required to do your fair share of the work. Third, you bow to nobody because you are an American, and your ancestors fought to get you out of the system that requires bowing to human beings. You just don't ever do that for any reason. Period, end of story.

That said, I think it's an honor to be a Representative or a Senator, but they have a lot on them. They have to approach and be approached by people who provide jobs to thousands, who provide prosperity to their sundry states. That may mean that if you have a problem that only affects yourself or a member of your family, you may have to wait a week or two for a reply from even an assistant. Still in all, though, they are servants of the people. The day they become our masters is the day we no longer have a Bill of Rights.

And that is the problem with this. They are setting themselves up outside the law and that simply doesn't work in the real world.

Just for discussion..

I'm thinking they have proved that they can no longer be trusted...

NOOOO, that's how they became crooks. Getting away with it all and conveniently forgetting they are merely civil servants....

Well now.. it seems an opportunity to piss and moan in unison somewhat eludes this thread...

:dunno:

Forum List

Back