Law Bans ‘debarking’ Of Canines And Cats

masquerade

positivity
Oct 15, 2009
right of center
Beginning tomorrow, dogs and cats across Massachusetts will have a right to free speech, animal welfare activists say.

A new law banning the surgical devocalization of dogs and cats goes into effect that day. Governor Deval Patrick signed the bill into law April 22.

“This is so remarkable, the passage of this legislation,’’ said Beth Birnbaum, a member of the Coalition to Protect and Rescue Pets, the organization that originally filed the bill. “Beacon Hill should be congratulated.’’

The law bans the devocalization of dogs and cats except in cases of medical necessity. Before, breeders and pet owners weary of annoying barks and mews could have their animal’s vocal cords cut by a veterinarian.

Law bans ‘debarking’ of canines and cats

I do believe Massachusetts is the first state in the nation to put this law on the books. I need to research a bit further. But first .... coffee.

I love animals and would have one if my apartments allowed pets. I understand their reasoning for that decision however.

But these animal rights people are off their rockers in way too many cases. One of their goals is a law giving animals the right to sue their owners and/or others for [the owners'] bad behavior: my owner feeds me Old Roy when I'm worthy of and deserving of Kibbles & Bits; the neighbor's cat came on my property and whacked me in the nose causing grievous injury and emotional trauma ... etc.

I'm not quite sure how these animals would choose their lawyers or convey their complaints to their lawyers ... but that's not for me to figure out.

Beginning tomorrow, dogs and cats across Massachusetts will have a right to free speech, animal welfare activists say.

A new law banning the surgical devocalization of dogs and cats goes into effect that day. Governor Deval Patrick signed the bill into law April 22.

“This is so remarkable, the passage of this legislation,’’ said Beth Birnbaum, a member of the Coalition to Protect and Rescue Pets, the organization that originally filed the bill. “Beacon Hill should be congratulated.’’

The law bans the devocalization of dogs and cats except in cases of medical necessity. Before, breeders and pet owners weary of annoying barks and mews could have their animal’s vocal cords cut by a veterinarian.

Every night the local dogs in myarea have long doggie conversations with each other.

There's about five dogs in my neighborhood all of whom bark at each other (from their respective houses and at a distance, of course).

I suspect they're actually communicating more than just the "Hey here I am" sort of barking that most of us understand them to be saying

I think they're actually saying something to each other.

I am convinced of it the more I listen to their exchanges.

These collective barking events seem to have a sort of intelligence to them that is not disssimilar to human conversations. they listen, they respond, they bark in patterns that aren't simply repetitive and their barks have inflections in them, too.

I really do think dogs are engaging is something like doggie gossip.

Hey for all I know they're debating the meaning of life, but my point is that their barking seems to be more than just mindless noise.

Last edited:
You want to interrogate me? Get me to talk? Then strap me to a chair with a barking dog just out of reach of my foot and I'll cave after a few short minutes. I have a low tolerance for barking dogs. With that said and knowing that barking is the natural order of the canines, I don't see this debarking surgery as necessary. There are alternatives to surgery.

Every night the local dogs in myarea have long doggie conversations with each other.

There's about five dogs in my neighborhood all of whom bark at each other (from their respective houses and at a distance, of course).

I suspect they're actually communicating more than just the "Hey here I am" sort of barking that most of us understand them to be saying

These collective barking events seem to have a sort of intelligence to them that is not disssimilar to human conversations. they listen, they respond, they bark in patterns that aren't simply repetitive and their barks have inflections in them, too.

Hey for all I know they're debating the meaning of life, but my point is that their barking seems to be more than just mindless noise.

Anthropomorphic | Define Anthropomorphic at Dictionary.com

I lived in a duplex (up and down) and my upstairs neighbor had two beagels. Beagels might just be the most annoying barkers on earth; these two would bark ALL DAY while the owner was away. Drove everyone mad.

Now suppose the animal control people got on him enough so as to threaten to take away the dogs? In such a case, would mussling them be better than debarking? I'm not sure why anyone would ever need to "debark" a cat, but a dog? Sometimes, there is no other way to keep a pet.....this law seems like PETA feel-good bullshit to me.

The solution is simple if you want it done, take the animal out of state and have it done. Personally i dont think that its a great idea but i also dont think government should have a say in things like this.

Save the puppies!

*wakes up with a start to the end of 101 Dalmations*

They're plotting the Great Canine Rebellion.

Someone let them rid Animal Farm, but they ate the book before they finished it and now they're sure this is gonna work.

Wait, I'm thinking of the Democrats. Nevermind.

Instead of debarking your dog, wouldn't it just be easier to jam skewers into your ears and rotate them around?

surgical devocalization of dogs and cats
:eek: :eek: My God, who would do such a thing?? Good for MA for passing this.

I've certainly given it serious thought. I have a parson russell who has a HUGE and ear splitting bark. She barks without cessation if there is anything near for her to bark at. She does not stop. She does not pass Go. She does not get $200.

I took her on vacation last year. Cooped up in my car with her, my friend, my two children, for 6 hours each way...and she barked off and on the whole way.

She barks at people starting when they're about 3 blocks away, walking. She barks at certain vehicles the MINUTE she hears them start. She will run in circles in the house (barking) if I won't let her stand at the window and bark.

I haven't used a shock collar, I have visions of her barking, getting zapped,a nd barking at that, and getting zapped, and barking again, and getting zapped, until she's effectively a zombie (like electro shock therapy). She's standing at the door right now sniffing around it, hoping to hear or smell something she can bark at.

So I can certainly understand why people de-bark animals. I don't mind barking, but incessant barking can make a dog impossible to live with. The jury is still out on Mylo. I would love the peace and quiet, and I'd be able to leave her out for longer periods of time, especially in the summer, because her barking wouldn't make the neighbors (and people miles away) want to kill her, and me.

But the down side...nobody sneaks up on my house. I know long before they get here that they're coming. And while I might still, even if she isn't loud anymore, I rather like the fact that people can hear her, and that means they know they can't get into my yard (or near my house, or on my street) without Mylo alerting the entire town.

She's like the town cryer.

She stomps around the house like a Sherman tank, too. I'm always yelling at the kids to get into bed and quit running around at night because I can hear the bump bump bump of feet hitting the ground.

And they tell me, if they're awake, "Mom, it's MYLO!"

She doesn't even weigh 13 lbs. What's with the huge bark and huge tromp?

surgical devocalization of dogs and cats

I've certainly given it serious thought. I have a parson russell who has a HUGE and ear splitting bark. She barks without cessation if there is anything near for her to bark at. She does not stop. She does not pass Go. She does not get $200.

I took her on vacation last year. Cooped up in my car with her, my friend, my two children, for 6 hours each way...and she barked off and on the whole way.

She barks at people starting when they're about 3 blocks away, walking. She barks at certain vehicles the MINUTE she hears them start. She will run in circles in the house (barking) if I won't let her stand at the window and bark.

I haven't used a shock collar, I have visions of her barking, getting zapped,a nd barking at that, and getting zapped, and barking again, and getting zapped, until she's effectively a zombie (like electro shock therapy). She's standing at the door right now sniffing around it, hoping to hear or smell something she can bark at.

So I can certainly understand why people de-bark animals. I don't mind barking, but incessant barking can make a dog impossible to live with. The jury is still out on Mylo. I would love the peace and quiet, and I'd be able to leave her out for longer periods of time, especially in the summer, because her barking wouldn't make the neighbors (and people miles away) want to kill her, and me.

But the down side...nobody sneaks up on my house. I know long before they get here that they're coming. And while I might still, even if she isn't loud anymore, I rather like the fact that people can hear her, and that means they know they can't get into my yard (or near my house, or on my street) without Mylo alerting the entire town.

If you were my neighbor, I would kill your dog...

If you were my neighbor, I would kill your dog...

Wanna bet?

Forum List

Back