CDZ Laura Ingalls Wilder's name removed from book award over racism charges

Do you agree with the ALA's decision to remove Laura ingalls Wilder's name from one of its book awar

• Yes

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
I agree. As a child I read a lot of Jack Londons books and as an adult I found out he was another dyed in the wool racist. People like that should not be celebrated. If an author of a book is allowed to spread their poison it just creates more racist attitudes. At the end of the day she did nothing we will miss. Other authors will and have come forward to take her place. At the end of the day her legacy doesnt justify any celebration because of the immeasurable harm her and other racists attitude have done.

I'll split it. We can't throw away every piece of Roman era writing because them ppl were nuts.

We do need to give context though. This is a big question for me, judging people by their time or by our standards.
Do you think at anytime these types of attitudes are to be celebrated? To me its like saying it was ok to beat your wife back then because it was a different time.

Not celebrated but not hidden.

If there is a more appropriate person to name the award for they should rename it. Let's not ban the book though.

Historical figures get more complicated. Consider I would not remove one Confederate monuments. I would put a larger statue of Harriet Tubman, MLK, Jackie Robinson, whoever next to them and mention the horrors of slavery on a new larger plaque. I would also mention who thought it appropriate to put up a statue of Jefferson Davis or whoever and some good quotes from Alexander H. Stephens (Confederate VP) or the Texas Declaration of Causes, about why the south fought the war, slavery.

Yup, the list of books Asclepias will never introduce his children to grows longer and longer, because the protaganists are white, or the author observed racism in a person who lived a hundred plus years ago.
Children do not need to grow up in a bubble where they believe racism never happened. Discuss it and let the stories speak for themselves. I learned a lot about pioneer life reading that series. It was fascinating.

This is like Germany omitting the period from 1939 to 1945 and pretending it never happened.

I'm really not sure I'd go that far. Why do you want to introduce that wasp's nest here? Isn't plain old black bigotry enough?

This is like Germany omitting the period from 1939 to 1945 and pretending it never happened.

I'm really not sure I'd go that far. Why do you want to introduce that wasp's nest here? Isn't plain old black bigotry enough?

That is exactly what it is. It is part of history whether it is liked or not. Just like they love to call Nazi's racists, but they forget the Jews were white as well.

Just like the narrative of a "white" Hispanic to push a racist agenda.

This is no different. Many want to erase history and pretend it did not exist, to make themselves feel better. But it is all part of a narrative that is rooted in Nazism. The far left has adopted more of Nazism than any other political group, even a modern day "white" supremist. Many believe that if blacks discriminate against whites, it is not racism.

It is symptom of a larger problem and something very dangerous.

I agree. As a child I read a lot of Jack Londons books and as an adult I found out he was another dyed in the wool racist. People like that should not be celebrated. If an author of a book is allowed to spread their poison it just creates more racist attitudes. At the end of the day she did nothing we will miss. Other authors will and have come forward to take her place. At the end of the day her legacy doesnt justify any celebration because of the immeasurable harm her and other racists attitude have done.

I'll split it. We can't throw away every piece of Roman era writing because them ppl were nuts.

We do need to give context though. This is a big question for me, judging people by their time or by our standards.
Do you think at anytime these types of attitudes are to be celebrated? To me its like saying it was ok to beat your wife back then because it was a different time.

If there is a more appropriate person to name the award for they should rename it. Let's not ban the book though.

Historical figures get more complicated. Consider I would not remove one Confederate monuments. I would put a larger statue of Harriet Tubman, MLK, Jackie Robinson, whoever next to them and mention the horrors of slavery on a new larger plaque. I would also mention who thought it appropriate to put up a statue of Jefferson Davis or whoever and some good quotes from Alexander H. Stephens (Confederate VP) or the Texas Declaration of Causes, about why the south fought the war, slavery.
From my understanding all they did was remove her name from the award. I dont believe any books were banned.

Yup, the list of books Asclepias will never introduce his children to grows longer and longer, because the protaganists are white, or the author observed racism in a person who lived a hundred plus years ago.
Children do not need to grow up in a bubble where they believe racism never happened. Discuss it and let the stories speak for themselves. I learned a lot about pioneer life reading that series. It was fascinating.
My children are well aware of racism in literature. However, I pointed it out to them and explained why that type of language is wrong. The most important thing I've done is give them books by Black authors that push the our philosophy because I dont want my children polluted by white philosophy. I dont want them to see the world through the eyes of a white person. I dont want them to take on the negative mores and values of the white race.

That is exactly what it is. It is part of history whether it is liked or not. Just like they love to call Nazi's racists, but they forget the Jews were white as well.

Just like the narrative of a "white" Hispanic to push a racist agenda.

This is no different. Many want to erase history and pretend it did not exist, to make themselves feel better. But it is all part of a narrative that is rooted in Nazism. The far left has adopted more of Nazism than any other political group, even a modern day "white" supremist. Many believe that if blacks discriminate against whites, it is not racism.

It is symptom of a larger problem and something very dangerous.

Its history viewed through the eyes of a white person. We have seen how history is altered when viewed through the eyes of white people. It has resulted in silly stuff like "columbus discovered america" even though people were already here and the 4th of july being independence day even though 20% of the population was enslaved during that day back in "history"

Last edited:
My children are well aware of racism in literature. However, I pointed it out to them and explained why that type of language is wrong. The most important thing I've done is give them books by Black authors that push the our philosophy because I dont want my children polluted by white philosophy. I dont want them to see the world through the eyes of a white person. I dont want them to take on the negative mores and values of the white race.
Yet when I read Toni Morrison or James Baldwin, it helps me see things through a black perspective. As a female, I've spent most of life reading the "classics" of English literature all written from the perspective of men.
Did I not learn anything from any of that because I am a white woman?

Yet when I read Toni Morrison or James Baldwin, it helps me see things through a black perspective. As a female, I've spent most of life reading the "classics" of English literature all written from the perspective of men.
Did I not learn anything from any of that because I am a white woman?
Thats great. You should read other things when you dont get the same constant exposure to them on a daily basis. I think the biggest thing people forgot is that white philosophy is thrust upon you no matter your race here in the US. Youre bombarded by it. Youre indoctrinated. I chose to keep that outside of my home and indoctrinate my kids with our philosophy. Since I had girls I was heavy on strong Black female role models. Once that foundation was established I then begin to let my kids experience other ideas. Whites have this assumption that their ways are the best. I strongly disagree.

From my understanding all they did was remove her name from the award. I dont believe any books were banned.

Yeah, that doesn't really anger me.

Let's say I had a running back of the year award. For a decade we called it the "Jim Brown" award. Then afterwards I decided naming it after Larry Csonka then Walter Payton was best. To me its kinda like that.

Personally I think Jim Brown was the best but gotta keep things kinda relevant to the kids.

New Topics

Forum List

Back