Latin / Romance vs Germanic

BlueJay28

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2014
Somebody asked me which cultural base, German or Latin is the greatest, strongest, and most developed.

I said... Latin by far.

Roman Catholic is the very first, and the world's largest and richest form of Christianity.

The Latin based languages of the world which are French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian..
Derive from Latin of course...

A very rich and highly structured language with direct and decisive meanings, and also very good for further development into becoming other languages.
The Modern Metric system is based on Latin.

The South of Europe, has a lot more of a fertile ground that is better for Agriculture and plant life... that's the trigger for the foods of France, Italy and Spain and Belgium.
And also Fashion as well.

The South of Europe also has two coastlines, the Mediterranean and Atlantic, and also much deeper waters...
This is the trigger for a Maritime and Seafaring culture, and a Naval military tradition.

The Northern Europe, has access to only one coast line...and its mainly shallow and extremely cold waters.. not good for the development of a Maritime tradition.

By the time Germany was a Unified country... it was much too late for them to expand and have a lot of influence on the world.
Its why their range is still limited.

So traditionally speaking.... Latin is the stronger cultural base, and why it is so much more successful worldwide.
It has age, time and history, geography, population, climate, and linguistics including mathematics as well...
All on its side, working for its advantage.

Their modern day POLITICAL ideologies and view of the world I don't particularly care for... at all.
I think its selfish and greedy and corrupt... and WAY too far to the left.

That's another story all together though.

Last edited:
I'm never sure what to make of some of these sweeping opinions on topics, that may, in the entire world have no one who can say for sure this is so. So I'll simply say read on humble poster read on.

'A History of Civilizations' Fernand Braudel
'Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud' by Peter Watson
"The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20Th Century' Peter Watson

Or maybe these are more appropriate?

'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and The Madness of Crowds' by Charles MacKay
'The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener' Martin Gardner

In ancient and medieval times Latin cultures dominated in Europe, in modern times though the Germanic cultures has grown to be the largest and most dominant of European derived cultures, or whatever you can call it.

Forum List

Back