Latin American summit backs Argentina on Falklands

Somehow, I don't see the Brits losing any sleep over what the Latin Americans think. They already demonstrated to Argentina what happens when they argue the toss over ownership.

Interestingly, one of the ships lost by the Argentines, the General Belgrano was sold to them by the US. It was originally the USS Pheonix - also interesting fact about that ship.... it was the only one to survive the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I am a mine of totally useless information.

Interestingly, one of the ships lost by the Argentines, the General Belgrano was sold to them by the US. It was originally the USS Pheonix - also interesting fact about that ship.... it was the only one to survive the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I do not recall a Battleship called by a city name. It would have a State name. And since not even close to every ship in Pearl Harbor was sunk on Dec 7 1941, you would also be talking about the 8 battleships that were hit. In WW2 Battleships had State names and Heavy Cruisers had City Names. I do not recall a CA or CL named Phoenix in Pearl Harbor but I have not memorized all there names. I can look it up and will shortly. I have several Pacific War games with all the major and most of the minor ships on all sides in it. A CA would be a MAJOR ship as well as a Battleship, you see we started very few CA after the war started relying on the ones we had and putting most of our effort into Lighter war built cruisers, called CL.

I do not recall a Battleship called by a city name. It would have a State name. And since not even close to every ship in Pearl Harbor was sunk on Dec 7 1941, you would also be talking about the 8 battleships that were hit. In WW2 Battleships had State names and Heavy Cruisers had City Names. I do not recall a CA or CL named Phoenix in Pearl Harbor but I have not memorized all there names. I can look it up and will shortly. I have several Pacific War games with all the major and most of the minor ships on all sides in it. A CA would be a MAJOR ship as well as a Battleship, you see we started very few CA after the war started relying on the ones we had and putting most of our effort into Lighter war built cruisers, called CL.

You made me panic and I went and checked....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Phoenix_(CL-46)

The warship was built as USS Phoenix (CL-46), the sixth of the Brooklyn-class cruisers, in New Jersey by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation starting in 1935, and launched in March 1938. She survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, and was decommissioned from the US Navy (USN) after World War II in July 1946. Phoenix earned nine battle stars for World War II service. The former USS Phoenix was sold, with another of her class (Boise (CL-47) renamed ARA Nueve de Julio (C-5)), to Argentina in October 1951, for $7.8 million. (Nueve de Julio was scrapped in 1978). She was renamed Diecisiete de Octubre after the so-called People's Loyalty day, an important milestone for the political party of the then president Juan Perón. Ironically, she was one of the main units which joined the coup in which Perón was subsequently overthrown in 1955, and the ship was renamed General Belgrano (C-4) after General Manuel Belgrano, who had fought for Argentine independence from 1811 to 1819. Several years before becoming General, as a colonial officer, he founded the Escuela de Náutica (School of Navigation) in 1799. She accidentally rammed her sister Nueve de Julio on exercises in 1956, which resulted in slight damage to both cruisers.[1] The Belgrano was outfitted with Sea Cat missiles between 1967 and 1968.[2]

Last edited:

The warship was built as USS Phoenix (CL-46), the sixth of the Brooklyn-class cruisers, in New Jersey by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation starting in 1935, and launched in March 1938. She survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, and was decommissioned from the US Navy (USN) after World War II in July 1946. Phoenix earned nine battle stars for World War II service. The former USS Phoenix was sold, with another of her class (Boise (CL-47) renamed ARA Nueve de Julio (C-5)), to Argentina in October 1951, for $7.8 million. (Nueve de Julio was scrapped in 1978). She was renamed Diecisiete de Octubre after the so-called People's Loyalty day, an important milestone for the political party of the then president Juan Perón. Ironically, she was one of the main units which joined the coup in which Perón was subsequently overthrown in 1955, and the ship was renamed General Belgrano (C-4) after General Manuel Belgrano, who had fought for Argentine independence from 1811 to 1819. Several years before becoming General, as a colonial officer, he founded the Escuela de Náutica (School of Navigation) in 1799. She accidentally rammed her sister Nueve de Julio on exercises in 1956, which resulted in slight damage to both cruisers.[1] The Belgrano was outfitted with Sea Cat missiles between 1967 and 1968.[2]

SO the Argentinians were claiming an old WW2 Light Cruiser was a Battleship. Or was another Argentinian Battleship sunk by Britain. But again the only real damage at Pearl was to the 8 Battleships of the Pacific Fleet. In my game sometimes CA and CL are sunk as well but I do not recall any actually being sunk on Dec 7 1941.

Seems to me Boise was in the Philippines area on Dec 7, she is lucky to have survived. Well actually in the Dutch East Indies.

Last edited:

SO the Argentinians were claiming an old WW2 Light Cruiser was a Battleship. Or was another Argentinian Battleship sunk by Britain. But again the only real damage at Pearl was to the 8 Battleships of the Pacific Fleet. In my game sometimes CA and CL are sunk as well but I do not recall any actually being sunk on Dec 7 1941.

Seems to me Boise was in the Philippines area on Dec 7, she is lucky to have survived. Well actually in the Dutch East Indies.

No, it was definitely the USS Pheonix that was renamed the Belgrano and sunk by the Brits!

And I seriously do not see the Brits handing over the Falklands to the Argies now.

No, it was definitely the USS Pheonix that was renamed the Belgrano and sunk by the Brits!

And I seriously do not see the Brits handing over the Falklands to the Argies now.

Especially not because some third world countries think they should. Argentina has no legit claim, the people that LIVE on those Islands all consider themselves British. ANd England has had it for HOW LONG?

Forum List

Back