Latest Gallup polls are all fluff

DiamondDave

Army Vet
Jun 30, 2008
MD, on the Potomac River
I usually get about 6-8 web polls and 2 phone polls a month, as a member of the Gallup panel.... but in the past 2 to 3 months... the polls have not had anything of substance, but have been on pure fluff...

Take for example the poll I received this morning...
"ONLINE NETWORKING AND GREETING CARDS SURVEY"

How often do you visit social networking sites like facebook.com or myspace.com?
Daily Weekly Monthly Less often Never

How often do you visit professional networking sites like linkedin.com or spoke.com?

How often do you visit dating sites like eharmony.com or match.com?

And it just goes from there
:rolleyes:

Not even the normal question at the beginning of the surveys of whether you approve of the job the president is doing, the job congress is doing, etc

But over the past 4-5 years I have been surveyed by Gallup, it has not been this fluffy... I wonder why the sudden change?

And the latest "thank you" email with blurbs about recent polls...

Thank you for recently taking part in a Gallup Panel survey.

Because you were willing to share your thoughts and opinions with us, we thought you
might enjoy reading about some recent findings from Gallup Panel surveys.

--No doubt driven in part by the ongoing economic recession in the United States, a
majority of panel members say job creation is the biggest problem facing the country
right now.

Particularly, when asked to choose one of six specific answers, 63% of respondents
say job creation is the biggest problem facing the United States at this time. No
other response is close, including panelists' mentions of healthcare and security
(12% each), energy (6%), education (5%), and the environment (2%).

--Gallup recently asked panelists to share the names of up to three of their
favorite cable, satellite, or network television channels they watch for any type of
news, entertainment, or information. Then, Gallup asked those who listed at least
one channel to rate how closely they pay attention to commercials when they watch
those channels.

Using a scale numbered from one to five, where 1 equals "not close at all" and 5
equals "extremely close," just 3% of respondents say they pay extremely close
attention to the commercials. About one-third of panelists (31%) say the amount of
attention they pay to commercials is "not close at all."

--About half of panelists say they are "somewhat overweight" according to a recent
Gallup Panel survey. When given five answers with which to best describe their
current personal weight situation, the greatest percentage of panelists (51%) give
this response. Additionally, 31% say their weight is "about right," while about 1 in
7 panelists say they are "very overweight" (14%). Just about 4% of respondents say
they are "somewhat underweight," while less than 1% say they are "very underweight."

For the latest Gallup Panel updates and content, go to the Gallup Panel Members Web
site: https://panelmembers.gallup.com

Thank you,
The Gallup Panel Team

Funny thing is I never received the poll about the "biggest problem facing the country"

I usually get about 6-8 web polls and 2 phone polls a month, as a member of the Gallup panel.... but in the past 2 to 3 months... the polls have not had anything of substance, but have been on pure fluff...

Take for example the poll I received this morning...
"ONLINE NETWORKING AND GREETING CARDS SURVEY"

How often do you visit social networking sites like facebook.com or myspace.com?

How often do you visit professional networking sites like linkedin.com or spoke.com?

How often do you visit dating sites like eharmony.com or match.com?

And it just goes from there
:rolleyes:

Not even the normal question at the beginning of the surveys of whether you approve of the job the president is doing, the job congress is doing, etc

But over the past 4-5 years I have been surveyed by Gallup, it has not been this fluffy... I wonder why the sudden change?

Like any other pollster, Gallup gets paid to conduct these surveys. I used to get the web surveys, but opted out because of what you describe. I got sick of 20 pages to rate a specific type of vehicle, for example. Gallup was hot during the campaign, but not so much now. Same with Zogby.

Because you were willing to share your thoughts and opinions with us, we thought you

--No doubt driven in part by the ongoing economic recession in the United States, a
majority of panel members say job creation is the biggest problem facing the country
right now.

Particularly, when asked to choose one of six specific answers, 63% of respondents
say job creation is the biggest problem facing the United States at this time. No
other response is close, including panelists' mentions of healthcare and security

favorite cable, satellite, or network television channels they watch for any type of
news, entertainment, or information. Then, Gallup asked those who listed at least
one channel to rate how closely they pay attention to commercials when they watch
those channels.

Using a scale numbered from one to five, where 1 equals "not close at all" and 5
attention to the commercials. About one-third of panelists (31%) say the amount of

--About half of panelists say they are "somewhat overweight" according to a recent
current personal weight situation, the greatest percentage of panelists (51%) give
this response. Additionally, 31% say their weight is "about right," while about 1 in
7 panelists say they are "very overweight" (14%). Just about 4% of respondents say
they are "somewhat underweight," while less than 1% say they are "very underweight."

For the latest Gallup Panel updates and content, go to the Gallup Panel Members Web

Thank you,
The Gallup Panel Team

Funny thing is I never received the poll about the "biggest problem facing the country"

In their initial questionnaire where you volunteer to be surveyed, wasn't there several pages to indicate your interests? Maybe you didn't check that box.

right now.

those channels.

Thank you,
The Gallup Panel Team

In their initial questionnaire where you volunteer to be surveyed, wasn't there several pages to indicate your interests? Maybe you didn't check that box.

No.. I have had most every political type question for years... just in the last 6-8 months it has really changed that I am not getting them

Forum List

Back