Last U.S. vet of WWI's Final Battle

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Last U.S. vet of WWI wants national memorial in D.C. - USATODAY.com

$bucklesx-large.jpg

Frank Buckles, 108 years old, figures he has one more contribution to make.
Buckles, the last U.S. veteran of World War I, wants to see a memorial to his fellow soldiers on the National Mall. To make the case, he is scheduled to appear at a Senate hearing today.

He will be there on behalf of a bill that would redesignate the existing District of Columbia World War I memorial — a modest structure not far from the massive World War II memorial that opened in 2004 — to make it a combined D.C. and national memorial.

The legislation would allow the foundation to add a sculpture to the site and raise money for its preservation. The National Park Service has allocated $10 million to restore the memorial.

There is a hitch, though. Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., wants her state's Liberty Memorial at the National World War I Museum in Kansas City to be the official national World War I memorial. She has introduced legislation, too.

"We're really hoping to have people understand what an important asset this museum and the memorial are for the whole country," says Denise Rendina, spokeswoman for the museum. The 217-foot-high Liberty Memorial, opened in 1926, was designated a national symbol of the war by Congress in 2000. Brian Alexander, president and CEO, is scheduled to testify today.

Thoughts?

Personally, I would like to see the memorial at the National Mall be the official National World War I Memorial. One state shouldn't get the right to claim the National memorial. It should be in Washington D.C., the capital.

They should restore the original and expand it in order to show respect for those who died. I just recently watched a program about this a few months ago. I guess the old Memorial is falling apart. What a disgrace, and what dishonor.

Course, That would never fit into the Madman Obama's budget. There are too many homeless, criminals and drug addicts in the windy city that need food and shelter that could use the funding. Hookers too! ~BH

They should restore the original and expand it in order to show respect for those who died. I just recently watched a program about this a few months ago. I guess the old Memorial is falling apart. What a disgrace, and what dishonor.

Course, That would never fit into the Madman Obama's budget. There are too many homeless, criminals and drug addicts in the windy city that need food and shelter that could use the funding. Hookers too! ~BH

Actually, Obama wanted part of the stimulus to be used for fixing up the National Mall (which is where the DC WWI memorial is, kinda off to the side), but it was cut as a concession in an attempt to get Republican votes.

Forum List

Back