Las Vegas shooting - a point not yet made

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
The LV shooter fired 1100 rounds, with 480 hits (58 Killed, 422 wounded) for a 43.6% hit rate,
This is impressively low, given the target and distance.

Indeed, the casualties caused by LV shooter were -limited- by the fact he used a number of AR15s with bump stocks - he could have easily killed and wounded significantly more people with a different choice of weapon.

Now, no one knows for sure why this guy did what he did, and what he did made no sense at all - but it is clear, he deliberately chose to buy and use AR15s in lieu of other more effective weapons - weapons he certainly knew about and had access to.

The question: Why?
We'll never know, of course.
But, given what could have happened, we should be thankful he chose his weapons poorly.

We still don't know the motive and they did discover a arsenal of weapon .

They did - at least $30,000 in rifles, just in the hotel room.
This supports the idea he had access to, and could have easily obtained, better weapons, but chose to use AR15s.
He would have fired from two windows .... maybe considering his age 64, could the AR15s have been easier to use? already seen his age is hard to believe he was the only one shooting for the Windows ?

The LV shooter fired 1100 rounds, with 480 hits (58 Killed, 422 wounded) for a 43.6% hit rate,

Indeed, the casualties caused by LV shooter were -limited- by the fact he used a number of AR15s with bump stocks - he could have easily killed and wounded significantly more people with a different choice of weapon.

Now, no one knows for sure why this guy did what he did, and what he did made no sense at all - but it is clear, he deliberately chose to buy and use AR15s in lieu of other more effective weapons - weapons he certainly knew about and had access to.

But, given what could have happened, we should be thankful he chose his weapons poorly.

I'm not sure I really care about this argument. But for a guy going on his first rampage how did you come to the conclusion that 43.8% is low? Did that include the number of rounds he fired aimlessly through the door of his hotel room?

This supports the idea he had access to, and could have easily obtained, better weapons, but chose to use AR15s.
He would have fired from two windows .... maybe considering his age 64, could the AR15s have been easier to use?
He could have used a tripod-mounted gun.

I'm not sure I really care about this argument. But for a guy going on his first rampage how did you come to the conclusion that 43.8% is low? Did that include the number of rounds he fired aimlessly through the door of his hotel room?
50% hits on a point target is considered "effective". He fired into a densely-packed group.
I don't know if the 1100 includes the 35 or so he fired through the door; either way, not much changes.

He would have fired from two windows .... maybe considering his age 64, could the AR15s have been easier to use?
Yes, but if he did shoot from the two broken Windows there is also a distance between the two.

4501343400000578-0-image-a-30_1507076676309.jpg

The media slipped up and referred to the country music concert as a "Trump Rally" and then they were desperate to quickly close the case and move on. The FBI with all it's vast psychological resources couldn't (didn't want to) determine that the shooter was a left winger with a psychological hangup against conservative (mostly) kids. For some reason it seems the Vegas swat team was off that night and the Officers who breached the door were something like dog handlers. The security staff was questionable as was the shooter's wife but nobody in the media (or the FBI) seemed interested in pursuing the conspiracy.

The media slipped up and referred to the country music concert as a "Trump Rally" and then they were desperate to quickly close the case and move on. The FBI with all it's vast psychological resources couldn't (didn't want to) determine that the shooter was a left winger with a psychological hangup against conservative (mostly) kids. For some reason it seems the Vegas swat team was off that night and the Officers who breached the door were something like dog handlers. The security staff was questionable as was the shooter's wife but nobody in the media (or the FBI) seemed interested in pursuing the conspiracy.
It is -not- beyond the realm of possibility that he , at least in part, chose ARs because of the effect shooting that many people would have on the gun control debate.

Where is your source for the 422 wounded? I am betting MOST of those injured did NOT occur from bullets but injuries sustained in the panicked stampede

It is not hard to shoot fish in a barrel, which is exactly what he was doing..

Yes, but if he did shoot from the two broken Windows there is also a distance between the two.
OK, but I'm not sure of your point.

It is -not- beyond the realm of possibility that he , at least in part, chose ARs because of the effect shooting that many people would have on the gun control debate.

All he was doing was "spray and pray" that he would hit something. He was not picking individual targets at that distance.

Where is your source for the 422 wounded? I am betting MOST of those injured did NOT occur from bullets but injuries sustained in the panicked stampede
He killed 58 people and wounded 422, with the ensuing panic bringing the injury total to 851.
2017 Las Vegas shooting - Wikipedia
It is not hard to shoot fish in a barrel, which is exactly what he was doing.
And achieved a meager 43.6% hit rate, and 5.2% kill rate.

All he was doing was "spray and pray" that he would hit something. He was not picking individual targets at that distance.
Right. Fish in a barrel, as you said.

I do not think he could have shoot from one window to another because of his age and also his state of health.

I do not think he could have shoot from one window to another because of his age and also his state of health.
I don't really think that would have been that large of a factor.

Is walking that difficult?

I don't really think that would have been that large of a factor.
I believe so, There is the distance of the two windows and the number of shots for someone of this age and also not in perfect health.

Is walking that difficult?
No, but shooting for 13 minutes (I think) from one window to another, which is kind far away, still needs to be in better shape than Paddock.

Forum List

Back