Largest Oil Scale Reserves BY FAR in the world!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Right here in America. Actually in CO. Actually we have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th largest also.

We have the technology to tap this source, but the environazis have not allowed us to drill tea spoon from this source!

Green River Formation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Place.................Barrels in the Millions ....... Weight in Million of Tons
(1) Green River Formation USA......... 1,466,000....................213,000
(2) Phosphoria Formation USA............250,000......................35,775
(3) Eastern Devonian USA...................189,000......................27,000
(4) Heath Formation USA....................180,000......................25,578
And coming in (5) and (6)
(5) Russia..........................................167,715.....................24,000
(6) Congo...........................................100,000....................14,310

http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2005/5294/pdf/sir5294_508.pdf

Russia has less oil scales then our 4th largest and they are utilizing this source and making a killing off it. To date, the Environazis won't allow us to use any of this black gold!

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/reserves.html
16 billion barrels of oil in ANWR. Check the map that tiny little red dot in the ginormous ANWR is the only place they want to drill. That is 2K out of 19 million acres, the size of LAX airport, yet the Environazis won't allow us to drill in this small area. Why because they are nutz!

anwr_map2.jpg

anwr2.jpg

Last edited:
Note: Brown is good! We are one of the 3. I saw the 60 mins special about the new NG findings in the America Northeast. We now compete with Russia for largest reserves in the world!

Natural_gas_production_world.PNG

Because liberals produce myth - We don't have oil here!
Wrong we have the largest reserves in the world. Liberals just don't allow us to drill and use it. Drill in our current spots, in ANWR, in CO (esp CO), in the Gulf, offshore in the Atlantic and Pacific and deepsea and we will have domestic oil for over a century.

I think we need to take the T Boone Pickens Plan on Natural Gas, Drill and tweek it with the electric car:
(1) Drill baby Drill: Drill on CO, offshore, deepsea and in ANWR. The speculators will drive the price down and in 5 years we can be oil independent for a century. Heck in 5 years we could export oil.

(2) Convert and Require Bigrigs (which are commerical automobiles) to run on natural gas: We have the largest reserves in the world. Making bigrigs run on it will help keep our oil flowing even longer.

(3) Promote, help produce, encourage and reward Hybrid and the All-Electric Car: I think the electric car is the future. There are road blocks. But when it takes off it will be good for all!

Because liberals produce myth - We don't have oil here!
Wrong we have the largest reserves in the world.

The oil shales aren't reserves. They are resources. Please learn this basic difference before opening your mouth and saying something silly.

Right here in America. Actually in CO. Actually we have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th largest also.

We have the technology to tap this source, but the environazis have not allowed us to drill tea spoon from this source!

(5) Russia..........................................167,715.....................24,000
(6) Congo...........................................100,000....................14,310

Russia has less oil scales then our 4th largest and they are utilizing this source and making a killing off it. To date, the Environazis won't allow us to use any of this black gold!

We don't have the technology to pull oil shale out of the ground. We simply don't. We've known about Green River for many years. But we can't get at it.

However that was true for nat gas trapped in shale just 7 years ago before fracking.

We don't have the technology to pull oil shale out of the ground.

Sure we do. Not only have we already done it "back in the day", but some countries have been using oil shale to run power plants.

The problem is cost. It just costs too much to mine the stuff, or even use in-situ techniques. I've reviewed various technical schemes to get the stuff out, but nothing has really panned out yet.

Toro said:
We simply don't. We've known about Green River for many years. But we can't get at it.

However that was true for nat gas trapped in shale just 7 years ago before fracking.

No it wasn't. Shale gas production started in New York back in about 1825, the Dunkirk Shale if memory serves. Shale gas fields discovered along the shores of Lake Erie between 1860 and 1880 were still in production in the mid-1990's when the Appalachian Basin gas atlas came out. In 1926 the largest known gas accumulation in the world was Devonian shale gas, on the Kentucky/West Virginia border (Ley, 1935). Hydraulic fracturing was pioneered on a commercial basis in the 1940's (Hubbert, 1956), and certainly I was doing hydraulic fracturing on shale wells back in the 80's, just not from a big horizontal lateral like the boys in Texas are doing nowadays.

Shale gas has been around forever. People only recently have noticed, is all, as the US transitions to unconventional sources of natural gas and oil.

We don't have the technology to pull oil shale out of the ground. We simply don't. We've known about Green River for many years. But we can't get at it.

I beg to differ, we are pulling oil out of the Bakken Shale, Barnett Shale, Eagle Ford Shale today.....

This is only the beginning for shale oil....

They told George Mitchell he couldn't get NG out of the Barnett Shale back in the early '80's, along came horizontal drilling and today the Barnett Shale is the largest gas play on the North American continent, thanks to perserverance....

We are the only ones limiting our own energy sources....

Bakken Shale

Barnett Shale: Barnett Shale Combo

Eagle Ford Shale

Note: Brown is good! We are one of the 3. I saw the 60 mins special about the new NG findings in the America Northeast. We now compete with Russia for largest reserves in the world!

Natural_gas_production_world.PNG

Look at the land mass size of the US, Russia & Canada compared to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, & Iran. Yes I would hope we would have more in these much larger countries, but those small countries are very energy dense per acre & cheaper to get oil out of for now. We use way more oil than everyone else so we are addicted to cheap oil.

For 40 years now we have had almost every president promising us energy independence & more domestic production. The opposite has happened, with every one of them we become more energy dependent on cheap foreign oil. It is their plan to use the rest of the worlds oil first. The last country with oil in the end wins, but that does not help us here & now.

Sarah Palin is our best bet for domestic oil production yet congress will find a way to shut her down.

Last edited:

I beg to differ, we are pulling oil out of the Bakken Shale, Barnett Shale, Eagle Ford Shale today.....

This is only the beginning for shale oil....

You are confused. The Bakken, Eagleford and Barnett (the liquids portion anyway) are shale oil.

Your reference to massive volumes of oil was to oil shale, a completely different animal, and not even an oil at all. There are reasons why amateurs do this very badly, no matter their advocacy position. Go google it up. Words matter.

GVW said:
They told George Mitchell he couldn't get NG out of the Barnett Shale back in the early '80's, along came horizontal drilling and today the Barnett Shale is the largest gas play on the North American continent, thanks to perserverance....

Actually, the Barnett was discovered in the early 80's, and producing as well. Horizontal drilling has been around since the late 20's, and was put into full scale operation in California by the 1940's. It isn't new either. By the 1980's guys like me were drilling horizontal wells routinely with modern MWD technology, hardly a whipstock or single shot in sight! While the Barnett gas shales constituent quite a big field, it will never be the size of...say...Hugoton. Or even the gas cap at Prudhoe.

Wrong we have the largest reserves in the world. Liberals just don't allow us to drill and use it.

How are we #3 in the world in Oil Production and not far behind the #2 spot then? You talk about Liberal myths but you are perpetuating the myth that we don't drill oil here in order to further your argument.

I wonder if Ghook wouldn't mind if we did some fracking near his house. Mmm, high concentration of methane in the water supply.

I wonder if Ghook wouldn't mind if we did some fracking near his house. Mmm, high concentration of methane in the water supply.

I would love to get paid for oil fracking near my house. I can buy water from somewhere else for a while with that money.

I saw the 60 minutes thing on it. The controversy is real and should be taken seriously, but Natural Gas has made small towns diamond mines. Not just for the tax revenue coming out of it. But the hotels are always filled. The restaurants have steady streams of people. The stores are packed with people that make a lot of money. Rental property is getting snatched up. It's been great for many small towns!

Not to mention many homeowner that are leasing their property for production are making a killing!

I saw the 60 minutes thing on it. The controversy is real and should be taken seriously, but Natural Gas has made small towns diamond mines. Not just for the tax revenue coming out of it. But the hotels are always filled. The restaurants have steady streams of people. The stores are packed with people that make a lot of money. Rental property is getting snatched up. It's been great for many small towns!

Not to mention many homeowner that are leasing their property for production are making a killing!

Too bad those small towns also become unlivable in the long run. It's appalling to trade the entire future away for some short-term benefits.

Sarah Palin is our best bet for domestic oil production yet congress will find a way to shut her down.

How so? By getting Obama reelected to a second term?

No. They will just block drilling, production & leases. They control what bills a president Palin would get to sign into law.

Congress usually does not have enough sway to get a president elected. The media tells stupid people which presidential candidate to vote for & they do as they are told. The midterm elections elections usually attract the more educated voters.

Forum List

Back