Largest-ever Anglo-Saxon gold hoard unearthed in England

Catbert

Sep 16, 2009

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A man using a metal detector in a rural English field has uncovered the largest Anglo-Saxon gold hoard ever found -- an "unprecedented" treasure that sheds new light on history, archaeologists said Thursday.
<snip>
It's an "incredible collection of material -- absolutely unprecedented," said Kevin Leahy, an archaeologist with the Portable Antiquities Scheme, a voluntary group that records finds made by members of the public. "We've moved into new ground with this material."
<snip>
A strip of gold bearing a Biblical inscription in Latin is one of the most significant and controversial finds, Staffordshire Council said. One expert believes the lettering dates from the 7th or early 8th centuries, but another is sure it dates from the 8th or 9th centuries.

The inscription, misspelled in places, is probably from the Book of Numbers and reads: "Surge domine et dissipentur inimici tui et fugiant qui oderunt te a facie tua," or "Rise up, o Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed."
----------------

The scripture that the quote is taken from is Numbers 20:35 (KJV)

Link:

Largest-ever Anglo-Saxon gold hoard unearthed in England - CNN.com

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A man using a metal detector in a rural English field has uncovered the largest Anglo-Saxon gold hoard ever found -- an "unprecedented" treasure that sheds new light on history, archaeologists said Thursday.
<snip>
It's an "incredible collection of material -- absolutely unprecedented," said Kevin Leahy, an archaeologist with the Portable Antiquities Scheme, a voluntary group that records finds made by members of the public. "We've moved into new ground with this material."
<snip>
A strip of gold bearing a Biblical inscription in Latin is one of the most significant and controversial finds, Staffordshire Council said. One expert believes the lettering dates from the 7th or early 8th centuries, but another is sure it dates from the 8th or 9th centuries.

The inscription, misspelled in places, is probably from the Book of Numbers and reads: "Surge domine et dissipentur inimici tui et fugiant qui oderunt te a facie tua," or "Rise up, o Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed."
----------------

Link:

COOOL! Not having read the article yet, the time period makes me guess it was buried to hide from Norse raiders....now I will read to see if I'm right.

COOOL! Not having read the article yet, the time period makes me guess it was buried to hide from Norse raiders....now I will read to see if I'm right
:eusa_whistle: I'll never tell.

But it's really an interesting article with a picture of some. It will be amazing to see the finds when they release photos of all of it to the public.

They're saying that this will rewrite history.

Last edited:
Damn they never say the net worth. I bet its got to be a small fortune both will be getting.

Wonder whatever happened to the men that hide it there?

<snip>
<snip>

----------------

Link:

Awesome find! Bod I agree, more than likely hidden from the Norse raiders. Being that it was left makes me think the buriers didn't survive the raid.

I dunno. I think there's going to be a court challenge over finder's fees.

r2478718157.jpg

CHILDS20WHITE20GLOVES.jpg

"Once the hoard is sold, the market value of the find will go to Herbert and the owner of the field where the hoard was discovered."

I wonder if these two agreed to accept market value or were told they would accept market value.

I wonder if these two agreed to accept market value or were told they would accept market value.

The fact that he contacted authorities tells me he recognizes the historical significance of the find. 11 pounds of gold is roughly $300,000 at market. The numismatic value is priceless.

I'm sure he recognizes the historical significance as well. He should still get to name his own price, however. Unless of course they agreed to accept the market value, which would be their prerogative.

The fact that he contacted authorities tells me he recognizes the historical significance of the find. 11 pounds of gold is roughly $300,000 at market. The numismatic value is priceless.

I'm sure he recognizes the historical significance as well. He should still get to name his own price, however. Unless of course they agreed to accept the market value, which would be their prerogative.

Unless it's a pejorative prerogative.

Unless it's a pejorative prerogative.

I'm not sure what you mean.

The value in gold is much lower then the value as artifacts.

I would guess it would be worth ten times more then the value of just the meattle.

Forum List

Back