Largest Earthquake in 40 years hit Asia

Unbeleivable! When I first heard the story,the news had not said anything about the tsunamis. When I turned it on later,I couldn't believe what they were saying. I didn't know such a thing could happen. My prayers to those people.

Zhukov said:
The count is now over 21,000 according to the radio this morning...

I hope they all remain in the Compassionate Embrace of Amida Buddha....

A terrible reminder of impermenance.

According to Drudge, the number is now estimated to be as high as 45,000. Remember folks, Man's might is nothing compared to that of nature and of God.

To add insult to injury, an official is now complaining that the US is being "stingy" in its relief efforts to the affected areas.... and to make it even more ironic, the official works for the UN! Kind of like the kettle calling the pot black don't you think? I have to say, those folks don't miss a trick, do they? The worst catastrophe of the century and yet they still find time to bash the US. Some people have no class, and no shame!

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20041228-122330-7268r.htm

there is a whole lot more we could do for these people, i don't know what the fuck the bigwigs in Washington and at the Pentagon are thinking but this is heinous.

we have medical teams that haven't even been put on standby, including ones here in yokosuka and at atsugi... these folks are experienced first responders who could help save lives and secure areas.

we have seabee units that could help build ditches, drains, new roads, anything the hardest hit areas could use to get back on their knees at least.

we're the best in the world at our jobs, and the best we've gotten in 48 hours is a fucking check to a few nations? we can do a lot better, i'm sitting here talking to people waiting to do something, wanting to do something, who have the training to do something... and haven't heard shit.

heinous.

so far, its a check to a few nations.... somebody needs to get on the ball....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27723-2004Dec26.html

Flooded Nations Get U.S. Help

By Mike Allen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 27, 2004; Page A23

U.S. officials held two conference calls yesterday to discuss aid to the southern Asian countries inundated by the Indian Ocean tsunamis as European countries began flying rescuers into the region and international organizations planned billions of dollars in relief. A White House statement said U.S. aid was flowing to Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

European governments and international organizations launched humanitarian teams despite the holiday weekend, and the British-based poverty relief group Oxfam warned that many more would die without a huge charitable response.

"The floodwaters will have contaminated drinking water, and food will be scarce," Jasmine M. Whitbread, the group's international director, said in a statement.

The World Bank said billions of dollars in relief eventually might be needed. Pope John Paul II, during his Sunday noon appearance in Vatican City, appealed to the international community to help.

A White House official said the U.S. Agency for International Development had released funds in Sri Lanka and the Maldives at the request of embassies.

Last night, more than 24 hours after the quake struck, Bush administration officials were unable to say what else the United States had done to help. Officials held an evening conference call among themselves, but a participant said no progress was reported.

Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Sweden were sending teams of technical experts and rescue workers, the Associated Press reported. The European Union pledged $4 million.

The international Red Cross in Geneva announced a six-month campaign for donations of cash, goods or services totaling $6.7 million. The U.S. fund for UNICEF estimated that one-third of the reported dead are children.

The Web site of the Agency for International Development, which provides humanitarian assistance abroad, advised that the "most efficient and effective way to help those affected by a disaster overseas is to make a monetary donation to a humanitarian organization that is implementing relief programs in the affected region."

President Bush flew yesterday to his ranch in Texas for a week-long vacation. A written statement from the White House press office said that on behalf of the American people, he "expresses his sincere condolences for the terrible loss of life and suffering caused by the earthquake and subsequent tsunamis in the region of the Bay of Bengal."

"The United States stands ready to offer all appropriate assistance to those nations most affected including Sri Lanka, the Maldives, Thailand, and Indonesia, as well as the other countries impacted," the statement said.

Noel Clay, a State Department press officer, said the government was "looking at ways we can help in the process."

The State Department said at least three Americans were among the dead -- two in Sri Lanka and one in Thailand -- and others were injured.

NATO AIR said:
so far, its a check to a few nations.... somebody needs to get on the ball....
Over 40,000 dead now----staggering--damn they need a lot of help !!!!

I've surfed and seen some big waves but these babies were going 500mph !!! I can't even imagine it !!

According to insein's thread,we are supposed to be giving more financial aid. I agree that we need to have relief and medical workers there....now!!!!! This is awful! I have never heard of such a natural disaster. I just keep thinking of how horrific it had to be. On the beach sun bathing one minute.....

I just hope that all those people who are bitching and complaining about our snowstorm will get some perspective on things and realize just how lucky they were to have to deal with the after effects of a snowstorm instead of a powerful earthquate with tsunami. As for me, I will take the snowfall (all 20 inches received here) and consider myself greatly blessed.

The Geology Department at our state university picked up this earthquake on their seismographic equipment. To me, that is just incredible. How many miles are we talking here--from the Midwest in the U.S. to southern Asia? It's got to be at least half a planet away if not more. That equipment must be spectacular--or maybe it was just the power of the earthquake that made picking it up on the instruments possible.

The official US response is sucking ass. Hopefully people will dig deep and give to the Red Cross. I am writing a letter to the President too. The US military should be there helping so that it doesn't look like all we care about is Iraq. Who the hell is running his PR?

The Geology Department at our state university picked up this earthquake on their seismographic equipment. To me, that is just incredible. How many miles are we talking here--from the Midwest in the U.S. to southern Asia? It's got to be at least half a planet away if not more. That equipment must be spectacular--or maybe it was just the power of the earthquake that made picking it up on the instruments possible.

Actually, sensitive equipment can detect an earthquake of 3.5 magnitude anywhere in the world.

Adam's Apple said:
I just hope that all those people who are bitching and complaining about our snowstorm will get some perspective on things and realize just how lucky they were to have to deal with the after effects of a snowstorm instead of a powerful earthquate with tsunami. As for me, I will take the snowfall (all 20 inches received here) and consider myself greatly blessed.

Do you realize what kind of power is needed to fuel an earthquake of that magnitude? Hundreds of miles of the Earth's crust was moved 100 feet. Not only that, but the Earth's rotation was changed by about 3 or 4 microseconds. Even if you had detonated every nuclear weapon in every country's arsenal all at the same time in the same spot, there would be no way that you'd even come close to the power of that earthquake.

This makes me wonder, will GPS be affected? After all, if the Earth's rotation was affected, wouldn't it throw that off?

yes, it is really awful.

And some atiols, like the Maldives, were totally submerged, under water. If there is in the future ohter events like this one, Maldives will maybe disappear..... :S

More than 55,000 casulaties, more of Missings.....

I believe that USA will give $ 35 Millions, European Union 30 millions of $.

padisha emperor said:
yes, it is really awful.

And some atiols, like the Maldives, were totally submerged, under water. If there is in the future ohter events like this one, Maldives will maybe disappear..... :S

More than 55,000 casulaties, more of Missings.....

I believe that USA will give $ 35 Millions, European Union 30 millions of $.
you mean france may give return the billions they recieved from Saddam back in the form of aid to the tsunami victims ? Nice of em.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Adam's Apple said:
France is cheap. The country is only giving 100,000 euros.
Dont worry. Once those countries have been rebuilt, France will sell them all the weapons they can use and more.

New Topics

Forum List

Back